Reload this Page >

Car Lease/Finance for L1 holder moving to CA

Car Lease/Finance for L1 holder moving to CA

Old Nov 5th 2014, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Ninjie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Lease/Finance for L1 holder moving to CA

Hi

I've read through many threads on this informative website and have a question on car leasing/finance.

To give you some background, I move to the US (California) with my partner and children in December under an L1 visa. Naturally we need a car, and having read some threads regarding difficulties obtaining finance, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of leasing or purchasing a new car from a dealer? I did read an interesting thread on an offer VW ran on expats, although this was dated back to 2012/13 so may now be not an option (the original website link no longer works).

Any help on this would be much appreciated as we aren't going to be in a position to buy new with a full payment.

Many thanks

Nick
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Lease/Finance for L1 holder moving to CA

Did you look at this one?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...inance-845691/

We found international Autosource to be good but we bought rather than leased.

I think getting credit from a dealer here will be difficult.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:51 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ninjie
Hi

I've read through many threads on this informative website and have a question on car leasing/finance.

To give you some background, I move to the US (California) with my partner and children in December under an L1 visa.
It's a piece of piss. Go to BMW or VW or any other manufacturer that has a skilled foreign workers policy. They request a copy of your L1 visa, ring your HR to confirm your employment, ask for a couple of references, done.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 8:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Getting car finance is one of the easiest ways of getting finance and a start to building US credit history.

A lease is generally not a great idea, unless you know you're going to be heading back in a year or two tops and can get a such a short lease, but they'll tend to be expensive.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice guys.

First thought was to lease, but if finance is an option then this is preferable. I didn't think this was a possibility with no credit history though. I will have been in the US for 2-4wks by the time i apply?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 10:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

First thought was to lease, but if finance is an option then this is preferable. I didn't think this was a possibility with no credit history though. I will have been in the US for 2-4wks by the time i apply?
You can go the IA route and sort it out before you go, or when you arrive, once you get a SSN. You'll just get a crap rate and probably have to put more down as a deposit than someone with a history.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can most certainly get a finance deal for car purchase even if you have been in the US for only a short time ......... whether you get a decent rate of interest is another matter.

I took out a finance deal with Mazda when I first arrived and was paying something like 9% interest! How could I argue? I needed a car and that was the going rate for someone like me.

I paid it off within the year though......
Old Nov 5th 2014, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I paid it off within the year though......
How un-American of you...
Old Nov 6th 2014, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

MCDesi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Did you look at this one?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...inance-845691/

We found international Autosource to be good but we bought rather than leased.

I think getting credit from a dealer here will be difficult.
The only thing I found about IA is that you have to make your choice and pay a deposit before you leave the UK. I wanted to test drive cars before I bought so didn't use this option. It's good if you know what you want.

Another option might be to use a Credit Union to try and get finance.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Great advice, thanks guys....

Will let you know how I get on.