Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Lease - Arizona

Car Lease - Arizona

Old Sep 4th 2018, 5:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Lease - Arizona

Originally Posted by Sarren
Greenteal - we're in exactly the same situation. We've just got our L1/L2 visas approved and will be moving in less than a month.

As petitefrancaise says there is so much to do logistically with the move, we're also looking at leasing. We had a pre-transfer visit with the family and went to a few dealers and it seems many do Foreign Business Professional type lease deals where they do a manual verification you can pay including Ford, Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, VW, BMW, Audi etc. They seem to be very competitive vs IAS (and Expatride - but still struggling to get a quote from them as they want so much info from us). Definitely worth asking companies to beat other quotes you may have as there is room to negotiate.
I would be really, really circumspect about relying on anyone other than IAS, Expatride, Mazda and VW.
btw Ford will probably refer you to IAS. they seem to have some kind of deal going on there.
Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/Toyota dealerships may give you the runaround but in the end, the final quotes don't seem to match up with the initiial promises...
You can still order from IAS and expatride once you are in the USA but then you run the risk of the car not arriving until your 1 month rental car allowance runs out.
Please also be aware that new social security numbers seem to be taking a bit longer to arrive these days ( since March, there have been no end of issues).
Old Sep 4th 2018, 5:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenteal
hi Sarren, exciting times! yes trying a few local dealers at the moment to see if they can compete against IAS. and Visa versa.
got the following from IAS:
Durango GT 36 Month Lease 12K mi/yr $3900 Down=$418/mo*
*sls tx $42/mo. addtl/Insurance addtl/Leae term subject to I94 exp. date

Escape SE 36 Month Lease 12K mi/yr $3200 Down=$315/mo*
*sls tx $30/mo. addtl/Insurance addtl/Leae term subject to visa exp. date
I would definitely ask for 15k miles. Especially if this car is going to the main family one.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Sarren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I would be really, really circumspect about relying on anyone other than IAS, Expatride, Mazda and VW.
btw Ford will probably refer you to IAS. they seem to have some kind of deal going on there.
Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/Toyota dealerships may give you the runaround but in the end, the final quotes don't seem to match up with the initiial promises...
You can still order from IAS and expatride once you are in the USA but then you run the risk of the car not arriving until your 1 month rental car allowance runs out.
Please also be aware that new social security numbers seem to be taking a bit longer to arrive these days ( since March, there have been no end of issues).
Thanks for the insights on those dealers. We sat with the Ford dealership and their finance guy a couple of weeks ago to get the quotes, but interesting to hear they may refer me to IAS. A lot of Ford dealers have information about the Foreign Executive Lease Program (FELP) on their websites, and it looks like a manual verification with the job contract.

I hadn't realised you could order from IAS once we get to USA as they seemed to imply you had to agree prior to moving over as they are not allowed to compete with local dealers Hopefully Expatride get back to me soon!

Last edited by Sarren; Sep 4th 2018 at 5:52 pm. Reason: Added content
Old Sep 4th 2018, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

We lease one vehicle. Got a fantastic deal, negotiated the price down and had them throw in some extras (maintenance etc). My wife knew the sales manager so obviously that helped but, when shopping around we also got similar offers from other dealerships. It's a buyers market, you have all of the power when it comes to purchasing or leasing. If the deal doesn't look good to you, walk away and keep trying dealerships until you find one willing to do you a deal you're happy with. I'd rather lease than spend money on a used car and have absolutely zero recourse if anything goes wrong on it (which it probably will, as in the grand scheme of things $10k, at least here in Colorado won't get you much car).
Old Sep 4th 2018, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Standard BE responses, what if OP doesn't want an older car and wants a new lease car like he's written in his actual thread? /sigh
Waste of money. If you want a new car, buy one (and if you must get a credit union loan).
Old Sep 4th 2018, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Getting a lease car is the easiest way to get a new car. Look also at expatride and as always, negotiate..Don't accept first offer. Also, get 15k mileage because you will be driving a heck of a lot more than you think you will. Mazda, VW will also lease a car or offer you decent terms for a car loan for one of their cars.- VW doesn't have to be a new car but does need to be one of their certified used ones. However, they may not do anything until you have your SSN. Unlike expatride and IAS.
Also, used cars are more expensive here than in the UK. So $10k would not buy a great car.
Renting a house is NOT money down the drain either. Money down the drain would be buying a duff house, in a duff neighborhood because you didn't know any better.
There is so much stress involved in moving a family, that anywhere where you can reduce that stress is money well spent and getting the lease car done before you even leave the UK is one less thing to worry about.
Also, if you are getting a lump sum towards moving costs, this is EXACTLY what it is intended to be used for.
$10k x 2 bought our family 2 lightly used cars with about 40k miles on each. Still holding strong.

If I was in the UK I'd be looking at £2-3k, so yes it is a lot more expensive here, but that was factored into my original post.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Waste of money. If you want a new car, buy one (and if you must get a credit union loan).
Leases aren't always a waste of money, if you're not picky about the exact model you can get some great deals. Obviously somebody new to the country won't qualify for them but it's their money if they want to lease something new.

I'm debating leasing an Alfa Romeo Stelvio at the moment because they have huge discounts off MSRP (20%+) and a super low money factor (works out to 0.2% APR) so they lease really well.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 7:48 am
Just Joined

greenteal is an unknown quantity at this point

Latest Lease pricing i've got from IAS:
*No Nav**
Explorer XLT 4x2 36 Month Lease 18Kmi/yr $3900 Down=$389/mo*
*sls tx aprx $44/mo. addtl/Insurance addtl/lease term based on visa exp. date

** W/Nav./spec. order** 85 day lead time
Durango GT RWD 36 Month Lease 18Kmi/yr $3900 Down=$409/mo*
*sls tx aprx $46/mo. addtl/Insurance addtl/lease term based on I94 exp. date

**No nav**
Edge SE AWD 36 Month Lease 18Kmi/yr $3500 Down=$379/mo*
*sls tx aprx $42/mo. addtl/Insurance addtl/lease term based on visa exp. date

Tried a local GMC dealer, but he doesn't reckon the banks would agree to the lease without Credit History.
We require 2 cars, so the above figures plus insurance is going to be a big outlay per month. I get the pros/cons of leasing and purchasing a used car. We are used to always having a Company Leased car, and a small used MPV for local trips.

Any other suggestions? We don't have the cash to outlay straight away as we are still waiting for our UK property to sell.
Leasing takes all the hassle away, we land in the US, pick up a car and are good to go. No stress.
Our intentions are to stay in the USA if work goes well, so maybe we just suck it up on the lease for the 3 years to gain a better credit score etc...
Old Sep 9th 2018, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't worry too much about nav when you have Google maps on your phone. Can even download offline.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 12:57 pm
Austin. TX.

When we moved we were in a similar situation to you, I think most of us with familiies are tbh.
We decided to not get a "big " car - our rationale was that there were very few occasions when all 5 of us were in the same car at the same time.
So, we leased a Ford Focus for OH to get to work and back and for the odd time when all of us were together ( days out), and bought a Honda fit/jazz as a runaround for me and the kids. Now we had a 10,14 and 16 year old at the time so whilst we didn't have car seats, they weren't small and it was a bit of a squeeze.when we were all together For longer trips, we rented a minivan (people carrier) - which cost us about $750 for a week. So we kept expenses down and used the savings we had to buy a small car. After a year, sold the fit and bought a loaded 4runner which we all ended up not liking very much so we sold that and now I have a Toyota Prius V which we all love.
There are so many unexpected expenses when you move that going overboard on cars is just another worry that you really don't need to have.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Little update on what we got in the end after arrive in October.
Got all the information from Expatride and IAS. IAS were very pushy in me trying to sign before we arrived, but with the house sale not going through until the end of the year, the downpayments were just too expensive for me.
So i messaged a few Ford dealers in arizona. After a few emails back and forth i got confirmation a deal could be done. Got my SSN sorted, bank account sorted then went to the dealer.
Got approx for a ford explorer XLT, wife wanted big wheels which sent the price higher. Downpayment $2500 (includes everything incl first month) Monthy payment: $525
But...Ford wouldn't approve me for two lease's. So the IAS option was beginning to look good.
Ford put me in touch with Honda, i ended up getting approved on a Honda Accord Sport at $1500 down, monthly $396 per month. a Honda CRV was coming out at $325. I went with the Accord Sport as its the same size as the Audi A7.
I also got approved very quickly at Nissan FYI.
Insurance is a killer, $360 a month for both vehicles.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Little update on what we got in the end after arrive in October.
Got all the information from Expatride and IAS. IAS were very pushy in me trying to sign before we arrived, but with the house sale not going through until the end of the year, the downpayments were just too expensive for me.
So i messaged a few Ford dealers in arizona. After a few emails back and forth i got confirmation a deal could be done. Got my SSN sorted, bank account sorted then went to the dealer.
Got approx for a ford explorer XLT, wife wanted big wheels which sent the price higher. Downpayment $2500 (includes everything incl first month) Monthy payment: $525
But...Ford wouldn't approve me for two lease's. So the IAS option was beginning to look good.
Ford put me in touch with Honda, i ended up getting approved on a Honda Accord Sport at $1500 down, monthly $396 per month. a Honda CRV was coming out at $325. I went with the Accord Sport as its the same size as the Audi A7.
I also got approved very quickly at Nissan FYI.
Insurance is a killer, $360 a month for both vehicles.
Close to $1300 per month and you haven't even driven it off the driveway. Ouch.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 1:26 am
Just Joined

And your point is??
What was the alternative?? House sale hasn’t gone through yet, so no cash in the bank to buy a car. And as mentioned before by other people, there are pros and cons to leasing and buying.
ive always leased or had a company car.

i won’t tell you what I’m paying for rent on a house then!! Perhaps I should’ve bought a house without selling my UK properties?
Old Nov 6th 2018, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

And your point is??
What was the alternative?? House sale hasn’t gone through yet, so no cash in the bank to buy a car. And as mentioned before by other people, there are pros and cons to leasing and buying.
ive always leased or had a company car.

i won’t tell you what I’m paying for rent on a house then!! Perhaps I should’ve bought a house without selling my UK properties?
Not my fault that you have a horrendous car payment and lack of a budget.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 2:07 am
Just Joined

To be honest I thought the car lease payments were actually quite good. Plus the down payments were low compared to using expatride and IAS.

So I’m terms of budget they have come in under budget.

As I stated I don’t have the available cash to buy outright. Unlike you I presume. So fair play to you.

We we needed 2 cars, one for work and one for my wife and the kids. I could’ve gone for a cheaper lease car as I mentioned the Honda CR-V was $323 which is pretty good I feel.

If if we decide to stay and work is going well then maybe a car purchase would be a good option. But at this stage it’s not an option for us.

If the lease is so expensive can you find out other alternatives to help other people out who do want to lease?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.