Car lease

Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car lease

Hi Group,

We arrived a couple of years ago and have an L1A visa status that expires next Oct. Just going through the process to get the green card and lawyer files that application in jan next year.

So when we arrived we paid cash for a car and now want to lease one to get a beter model. Wife fancies a merc but the dealer just told her because our visa expires next year we cannot take a 3 yr lease.

Anyone know how to get around this? We offered letters from the company or the lawyer but they wouldn't budge

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Spot the Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car lease

You could try one of the lease buyout websites, you take over the lease of somebody trying to get out of one. It might work if you search for cars with less term left on the lease than time remaining on your visa, there also seems to be some good deals as the original lessors often subsidise the remaining lease. I can't recall the web address, think the one I looked at was Lease Busters so just google that or try searching Lease Buyout as I think there is a few of them now.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Go else where.

Everything is negotiable.

The usual reason to refuse is no US credit history.

Hindsight and all that, but paying cash completely for the first car was a bit silly. Should have gotten a loan on it, paid most of it off and left a minimal balance to have been paid off over 12 months, would have gotten a nice bit of US credit history and boosted your score.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spot the Dog
You could try one of the lease buyout websites, you take over the lease of somebody trying to get out of one. It might work if you search for cars with less term left on the lease than time remaining on your visa, there also seems to be some good deals as the original lessors often subsidise the remaining lease. I can't recall the web address, think the one I looked at was Lease Busters so just google that or try searching Lease Buyout as I think there is a few of them now.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER do this!

First of all, it's against the original lease agreement and could lead to prosecution if the leasing company found out. Second, if for any reason, the original lease holder keeps the payment and doesn't pass it on, they will repossess the car and you have no legal recourse.

Also, from the original lessor's point of view, if he gets hit with a large fee at the end of the lease because of mileage overage or vehicle condition, he is stuck with it, so it's not a good idea.

All round, DO NOT get involved in a lease buyout unless the original company allows it and will let you do it (which most reputable companies will not do).
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

Try another Merc Dealer. The Merc dealer by us wasn't fazed by our L1B when we test drove one, the Audi dealer we have two cars through isn't fazed and the VW was gout originally wasn't either.....

saying that leasing isn't for everyone, but we like to change our cars freqently (been here 6 years and we're on our 5th!, mostly all leased)
Old Dec 16th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

If I've read this correctly, you have 1 year left to run on your visa - and you are trying to obtain a 3 year lease agreement.

If I was the car dealer, I wouldn't agree to that either. He has no assurance whatsoever (and nor do you, at this point in time) that you will be able to fulfil your responsibilities in the contract.

...or have I got it wrong?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER do this!

First of all, it's against the original lease agreement and could lead to prosecution if the leasing company found out. Second, if for any reason, the original lease holder keeps the payment and doesn't pass it on, they will repossess the car and you have no legal recourse.

Also, from the original lessor's point of view, if he gets hit with a large fee at the end of the lease because of mileage overage or vehicle condition, he is stuck with it, so it's not a good idea.

All round, DO NOT get involved in a lease buyout unless the original company allows it and will let you do it (which most reputable companies will not do).
We have done this a number of times and the lease changes into your name and you make the payments directly to the leasing company. The original lease holder is completely out of the picture. We have done it with Mercedes, Cadillac and Jeep.

Last edited by Havnfun; Dec 16th 2011 at 3:54 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 17th 2011, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bilbos92
Try another Merc Dealer. The Merc dealer by us wasn't fazed by our L1B when we test drove one, the Audi dealer we have two cars through isn't fazed and the VW was gout originally wasn't either.....

saying that leasing isn't for everyone, but we like to change our cars freqently (been here 6 years and we're on our 5th!, mostly all leased)
Did you manage to sign a lease longer than your visa expiry date?
Old Dec 17th 2011, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
If I've read this correctly, you have 1 year left to run on your visa - and you are trying to obtain a 3 year lease agreement.

If I was the car dealer, I wouldn't agree to that either. He has no assurance whatsoever (and nor do you, at this point in time) that you will be able to fulfil your responsibilities in the contract.

...or have I got it wrong?
You are correct but I have a visa that can be extended, in the process of applying for a green card, could provide letter from employer and lawyer confirming we are here for a long time. Would have thought all of that would be enough for the dealer to think we are good for the deal
Old Dec 17th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
The dealer also has no assurance that the potential customer isn't going to drop dead tomorrow and be "unable to fulfill their responsibilities under the contract" - in either case I assume that they would just end up repossessing the vehicle.