Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance when moving back?

Car insurance when moving back?

Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car insurance when moving back?

Hello All,

After an interesting thread started by Amandabee, I was wondering what were the general experiences of people getting car insurance when moving back to the UK?

Are overseas insurance records still accepted by companies for the purposes of No Claims Discounts? They used to be.

Has anyone faced any difficulties, when stating that they had been out of the country for a while?

Thanks,

Dave.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:14 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance when moving back?

We did ours on line...weve not had to prove anything yet and i've had my car insured now for almost 8 mths...
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I returned to UK from Bermuda last July. I had 10+ years no claims discount before I went to Bermuda and another 2 years of no claims insurance experience whilst I was in Bermuda.

But I was told that my Bermuda experience was not relevant and my previous UK no claim discount was valid by a matter of weeks. I actually bought my car on a trip back to the UK just before we moved back permanently. If I had waited and gone over the two years mark, some companies would have said my UK no claims discount was expired. I didn't shop around a lot though as I was on a flying visit but that was my experience and maybe others were luckier than me.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
Hello All,

After an interesting thread started by Amandabee, I was wondering what were the general experiences of people getting car insurance when moving back to the UK?

Are overseas insurance records still accepted by companies for the purposes of No Claims Discounts? They used to be.

Has anyone faced any difficulties, when stating that they had been out of the country for a while?

Thanks,

Dave.

Me and OH both insured with Direct line. They were the cheapest with no hassle at all. They do want your prove of no claims discount though. Some companies don't give a sh*t if you have no claims from another country.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Me and OH both insured with Direct line. They were the cheapest with no hassle at all. They do want your prove of no claims discount though. Some companies don't give a sh*t if you have no claims from another country.
So Nu-Shooz, does direct line accept no claims bonus from abroad? Would a letter from the insurance company saying that you had a clear driving record, claims and convictions, be enough?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
So Nu-Shooz, does direct line accept no claims bonus from abroad? Would a letter from the insurance company saying that you had a clear driving record, claims and convictions, be enough?
Yes they accept your no claims from abroad.

You have a month to provide the evidence. There was a massive difference between insurance companies eg....AA quoted me 900 pounds a year....Direct line 332 a year...( sorry no pound sign)
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Yes they accept your no claims from abroad.

You have a month to provide the evidence. There was a massive difference between insurance companies eg....AA quoted me 900 pounds a year....Direct line 332 a year...( sorry no pound sign)
Thanks for that, very useful information.