Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in USA - Help Please

Car Insurance in USA - Help Please

Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance in USA - Help Please

Originally Posted by e3geek
.... they insured me (and my trainee wife) .....
Is it difficult to qualify as a wife? Is it an Australian wife license she's working towards, or a local one in Illinois?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Is it difficult to qualify as a wife? Is it an Australian wife license she's working towards, or a local one in Illinois?
Good one
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ash14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BibbyBear
Hi all,

It's been almost 12 months since I last visited here for help with my AOS paperwork (which went through fine) but now I'm looking for advice on car insurance.

After procrastinating for many months, I finally took my road test early in November 2013, and passed with flying colors..... that was good to know after holding my UK driving license for almost 26 years without incident. But now comes my problem.....

My husband recently spoke to his insurance broker to find out how much car insurance would be for me if he bought me my own car - he has never added me as a named driver on his policy because he was originally told that as long as he gives his permission, I could drive (not true apparently!)

Anyway, they have since updated his car insurance with me as a named driver and the best they can do is an increase for the remainder of the year (7 months) of $1111.00!!!!

This is because I am being classified as a young driver as I've only recently passed my test?!

I have provided them with the last proof of no claims discount which I received in the UK, but that just covers me for the four years prior to moving here in September 2012. Before that, I was a named driver on my ex's car insurance, so I am unable to prove my driving record before then.

I have given them a copy of my UK license which clearly shows I've held a license, without any endorsements, since February 1988 and I can also provide them with a police certificate from the UK to prove I have no prior criminal convictions, which would include DUIs, driving without insurance, dangerous driving etc., but none of this counts!

The broker said that it might help if I could provide 6 years worth of driving records, but otherwise, I'm just going to be insured as a youth driver.

I've been online and collected many different quotes using different variations (my husband as the insured with me as a named driver, vice versa and just me on my own) and all of the quotes are into the thousands!!

Does anybody know of any way around this? Any insurance companies which are able to work around the rigid parameters the systems have? Or any other useful advice at all?

I would be extremely grateful for any help at all but if none is available, then maybe this could be something that is mentioned to all other Brits who are thinking of / in the process of moving to the US - perhaps it's something they can try to resolve in the UK BEFORE getting over here.... making calls to UK insurance companies or the DVLA would be much easier whilst still in the UK.

Many thanks for your help.

Welcome to car insurance in the US. I recently bought a car and spent hours searching for car insurance. Eventually I went with State Farm as they do offer discounts if you have driven in a foreign country before. All they ask for is a copy of your UK photo license and paper counterpart. You can actually view your driving history online on the DVLA website now for free. This shows everything your counterpart would and State Farm accepted this. Just search "View DVLA Driving History" on google.

I am paying $1200 for 6 months coverage with State Farm (very good coverage though, as my leasing company required a certain level of insurance). This is much cheaper than some of the other quotes I had!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:12 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

The key is to try a lots of different insurance companies. There's enormous variation in the degree to which they will credit you for a good driving record in the UK. Definitely get whatever documentation you can to support your driving record. Than start calling around.

In my case, I got a great deal with Amica and 20 years later I'm still with them despite checking competitive rates every year or two.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just new immigrants that get shafted by insurance. Hubby and I moved to the UK in mid 2011, and returned back to the US at the end of 2011. Even though we had a car and had insurance in the UK, every insurance company we approached considered the 6mo we were gone to be a 'break in coverage' and we paid about 35% more than we were before moving to the UK.

We have now been in the UK for around 8months, and are returning back to the US in about 5weeks. We fully anticipate to be shafted this time as well.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:38 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
It's not just new immigrants that get shafted by insurance. Hubby and I moved to the UK in mid 2011, and returned back to the US at the end of 2011. Even though we had a car and had insurance in the UK, every insurance company we approached considered the 6mo we were gone to be a 'break in coverage' and we paid about 35% more than we were before moving to the UK.

We have now been in the UK for around 8months, and are returning back to the US in about 5weeks. We fully anticipate to be shafted this time as well.
I wouldn't be so down about it. When I moved here my insurance was around $1100, this year it's $1040 (and that's with an at fault claim added). That's against a 2013 Beamer, so it's not all that bad - honest! Personally, I think that would be less than what I was paying in England.

(NB: my previous insurer wanted to bill me an extra $400 in premium due to my prior claim, I just moved to another insurer who were more forgiving)
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

mylife98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danoz
Other posts have already said it, but try AIG inbound Program. $860 for 6 months for me and wife including cover against uninsured (un stacked). Not state minimums. We are in Florida, from what I have been able to tell, this is a pretty good price range after speaking to many others here that have been here years, they are still paying more than me.

Backing up what Danoz said: I've just taken automotive and other cover from AIG USA Inbound programme. $720/6mths on an $80k new car. Seems reasonable. All they wanted was my UK driving license and history. In fact, they don't even car if I ever get a US driving license - the policy is for a 'full valid license' so they don't care if that's a UK or US license.

There is a $400 one off joining fee, but I figured by the time I'd taken car, renters, umbrella and life insurance from them it was probably worth the $400. And that 400 is one off and covers me for however many years I use them.

Sorry, links help sometimes: http://assist.travelguardworldwide.c...861-254888.pdf
Old May 24th 2014, 8:03 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mylife98
Backing up what Danoz said: I've just taken automotive and other cover from AIG USA Inbound programme. $720/6mths on an $80k new car. Seems reasonable. All they wanted was my UK driving license and history. In fact, they don't even car if I ever get a US driving license - the policy is for a 'full valid license' so they don't care if that's a UK or US license.

There is a $400 one off joining fee, but I figured by the time I'd taken car, renters, umbrella and life insurance from them it was probably worth the $400. And that 400 is one off and covers me for however many years I use them.

Sorry, links help sometimes: http://assist.travelguardworldwide.c...861-254888.pdf
I believe it's an annual fee (I thought it had gone up to $440), but it still saves you a lot on insurance. Within 2 years you should be able to get competitive quotes though - this does vary state to state.
Old May 24th 2014, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Within 2 years you should be able to get competitive quotes though - this does vary state to state.
My State Farm rep told me that in AZ, I can expect the insurance rate to drop after we've held AZ licenses for over 3 years - roll on December 2014!

I shall get them to completely requote us early next year, alongside other insurance companies, using our now extremely shiny credit history. Apparently insurance companies run a credit search for new customers, but not for renewals, and I'm sure ours will be much better now than it was 2 months after we arrived.
Old May 25th 2014, 10:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mylife98
Backing up what Danoz said: I've just taken automotive and other cover from AIG USA Inbound programme. $720/6mths on an $80k new car. Seems reasonable. All they wanted was my UK driving license and history. In fact, they don't even car if I ever get a US driving license - the policy is for a 'full valid license' so they don't care if that's a UK or US license. ......
The problem is that your UK licence ceases to be "valid" as little as ten days after you take up residence in whichever state you're immigrating to. Other states and different circumstances may give you up to 60 days. Unless you're a student, and therefore never technically "take up residence", I am not aware of any state that gives you more than 60 days. There is effective a grey area, where you haven't been able to get your licence within the prescribed period but are in process (computer/ classroom training done, road test awaited), and have used your best endeavours to do so.

You might also want to check how much coverage, especially liability coverage you have, because state minimums can be scarily low and leave you exposed in the event you injure somebody.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 25th 2014 at 12:08 pm.
Old May 25th 2014, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The problem is that your UK licence ceases to be "valid" as little as ten days after you take up residence in whichever state you're immigrating to. Other states and different circumstances may give you up to 60 days. Unless you're a student, and therefore never technically "take up residence, I am not aware of any state that gives you more than 60 days. There is effective a grey area, where you haven't been able to get your licence within the prescribed period but are in process and have used your best endeavours to do so.

You might also want to check how much coverage, especially liability coverage you have, because state minimums can be scarily low and leave you exposed in the event you injure somebody.
We upped our minimums, As you are correct with the state minimums being low. They also provided coverage for being in an accident where an uninsured motorist is at fault (not sure if that is standard, but in Fl something I believe you need). Still was not that expensive, I believe we are paying $1400 for two cars.

The overseas license thing, is there more for if you haven't yet got your local license yet, so that it doesnt prohibit you from driving. But ultimately you will need to follow state laws (I actually met someone who got taken to court not long ago as they were still driving around on their Belgium license).
Old Jun 20th 2014, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Smudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm.....having happily driven around Ohio on my visits for the last 8 months, State Farm suddenly sent us a letter this week stating they do not have a US or Canadian driving licence on file for me.

......errrr that would be because we told you I was visiting and using an English Licence......

Do you think this means I'm no longer insured?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you ring them and ask?

Though if you're visiting for 8 months they might have chucked you as they like to see a local license at some point, even if you were here temporarily on a student visa/B1 type visa.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 8:13 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

We signed up for AIG relocation service for about $450. They got us no claims for both me and hubby.v Saved us thousands. Our no-claims info was also all in french since we moved from france and it was no problems at all. Same with the mortgage. Can't praise the service highly enough and well worth the money.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Smudger222
Mmmm.....having happily driven around Ohio on my visits for the last 8 months, State Farm suddenly sent us a letter this week stating they do not have a US or Canadian driving licence on file for me.

......errrr that would be because we told you I was visiting and using an English Licence......

Do you think this means I'm no longer insured?
It might mean you've never had valid insurance, despite you having been driving happily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.