Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in US - HELP

Car Insurance in US - HELP

Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Penny H is just really nicePenny H is just really nicePenny H is just really nicePenny H is just really nicePenny H is just really nicePenny H is just really nicePenny H is just really nicePenny H is just really nice
Default Car Insurance in US - HELP

Hello
I have been in North Carolina for a week, my husband has been posted here on an army exchange.
We need to get car insurance but are getting quotes for over $4000 a year!!
It seems we count as new drivers with no experience.
Could anyone recommend a car insurance company that takes the UK driving experience in to consideration or any insurance company that seems to give reasonable rates?
Thanks
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance in US - HELP

Originally Posted by Penny H View Post
Hello
I have been in North Carolina for a week, my husband has been posted here on an army exchange.
We need to get car insurance but are getting quotes for over $4000 a year!!
It seems we count as new drivers with no experience.
Could anyone recommend a car insurance company that takes the UK driving experience in to consideration or any insurance company that seems to give reasonable rates?
Thanks
Hello Penny and welcome to BE.

Car insurance is very expensive in the US compared to the UK...especially for new residents.

This forum is purely for welcoming new members to BE...therefore could you please repost your question in our US Forum? Before you do so please use the Search Function located in the pink bar at the top of the page because the same question has been asked many times. Go to advanced search and go from there...not forgetting to highlight the US forum before you press 'go'. Also it may be worth looking in the BE Wiki.

We have many expats who post regularly in the US Forums who are now living in NC...they will probably be able to help you with any local info.

Please give me or any mod or admin a shout if you have any problems or concerns.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 25th 2010 at 10:57 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance in US - HELP

Originally Posted by Penny H View Post
Thanks
There aren't any. You'll get screwed for a year or three. We've all been through it, you just gotta bite the bullet.

My advice is to find cheap cars that you don't mind getting banged up and get 'liability only' (read: third-party only) insurance, to keep your rates low. Also, get a secured credit card each to start building a credit score. Better credit scores help you to get lower rates. If you had an American Express account in the UK, you can use that to get a US-based Amex account, to get that credit score moving in the right direction.