Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Upon Returning

Car Insurance Upon Returning

Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance Upon Returning

Can anyone recommend any insurance companies who will take into account a clean driving record while out of the UK? We're terrified that at the tender age of 50 we're going to be screwed with riduculous motor insurance rates when we come back in a few months time?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance Upon Returning

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Can anyone recommend any insurance companies who will take into account a clean driving record while out of the UK? We're terrified that at the tender age of 50 we're going to be screwed with riduculous motor insurance rates when we come back in a few months time?
Firstly, while you can go and get a report/letter of you clean driving history.

Secondly, I believe that your age and the car you drive will have bigger impact than the official NCD route.

Thirdly, I 'think' Norwich union used to take into account foreign driving records, but it's been years since I kept up with the insurance situation in the UK.

Could some of the returnees, give actual experiences?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

try filling out the online insurance quotes and see what figures pop up. do you have a uk address as that may well be a requirement. lots of the insurance companies have email addresses so you could google companies and try emailing them for your answer. i have a uk car and had been out of the county a few yrs before buying it and my no claims had lapsed however it wasn't too bad tbh but it's now back up to max no-claims.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:40 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I was only a second driver on OHs insurance so didnt have an overseas record. This meant i had to start from scratch in UK. I have only got a cheapo, old banger, vauxhall astra, which i got for £500. I am 45yrs old. I managed to get third party fire and theft for £187.

Go to this link www.confused.com It gives you quote comparisons from loads of insurance companies. Just type in your details and an imaginary car to get a rough idea of what you will pay.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all
Old Sep 30th 2008, 3:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I went back after 7 years and got car insurance right away.
I was told I could have got better rates with my old company if I had taken a letter from my insurance company in the US and a DMV printout of your driving record (costs $5) You might want to take those with you just incase.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Posidrive

We got car insurance from on line searches. At 39 we got insurance for a VW Diesel at £170 fully comp. We sent in our Canadian no claims record. Some companies will want 5 year UK driving record to get cheap insurance, but others will accept overseas proof of no claims.

hudd
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

sherazar is an unknown quantity at this point

pru.co.uk ( Prudential )

Sainsbury Bank is also a cheap
Old Oct 4th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I still have my Brtish licence, and I am taking a letter from my Aus insurer showing I am a rating 1, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Does anyone know if the RTA here in Aus do letters proving my Aus licence is clean?