Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in the UK (NI)...need advice pleeeeez

Car Insurance in the UK (NI)...need advice pleeeeez

Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Northstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance in the UK (NI)...need advice pleeeeez

Just moved back to NI and have held a Canadian drivers licence for over 40 years with no claims. I am trying to get insured on the car I just bought but have no idea which company to try? Apparently I can switch my licence to a UK one but I don't have much experience driving over here so no history for the insurance companies. I have only been back 6 days, have a car sitting in the drive....but no insurance! If anyone can help or offer some advice I would be so grateful. Thanks so much North
Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance in the UK (NI)...need advice pleeeeez

Try Churchill. They did VIN insurance for us on 2 cars we had imported from NZ at reasonable rates GBP300 per car fully comp. (VIN needed as had to insure before getting UK registration plates). Your age should mean they would believe you are an experienced driver. Did it all over the phone btw but you can probably also use internet.

Another option is to join the AA and get a quote from them.

Last edited by luvwelly; Oct 28th 2012 at 9:03 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 11:18 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Try contacting your Cdn broker/insurer, request your claims history. This may be helpful in securing you a reasonable quote. Also, contact your Provincial Govt. to obtain a copy of your Driving Record.

These two documents were very helpful in securing a decent rate with NFU Mutual. Other insurers dismissed me outright because I was seeking insurance on a foreign license (CDN)
Old Nov 1st 2012, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

I too moved back to NI about 3 months ago, I had old Uk license and letter from Us insurance co saying I gad had no accidents or claims and they accepted my wife's US license as a full one for 12 months with an endorsement that she needs to get a UK one within the year, AXA. 400£ fully comp for 1 year
Garfro
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

I found the UK insurance prices unbelievable !!!!!
It cost me 650 quid for the insurance for my Toyota Verso when we came back .We had spend 10yrs in Canada and i had no claims,but that doesnt count.You have to start right back from the beginning Now into the second year,it has gone down alot
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
I found the UK insurance prices unbelievable !!!!!
It cost me 650 quid for the insurance for my Toyota Verso when we came back .We had spend 10yrs in Canada and i had no claims,but that doesnt count.You have to start right back from the beginning Now into the second year,it has gone down alot
You don't have to start from scratch at all. I was away 21yrs and had all of my o/s NCB recognised.

This is the last time I'm typing this as nobody seems to take a blind bit of notice and think they can do everything online, but:

See a broker, see a broker, see a broker.

You can explain all your story and present your NCB statement from your foreign insurer. The brokers makes all the calls, does all the explaining and will get you a deal. Yes you have to pay them a fee, but it's worth it. We insured exactly the same car we had in Oz for less money here and Mrs TB who had never sat behind the wheel of a car in the UK was fully covered on her Intl Licence.

So, the lesson is, see a broker. Don't make me type it again