British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car Insurance UK from Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-uk-australia-712189/)

Beedubya Apr 5th 2011 11:27 am

Car Insurance UK from Australia

I have searched the threads and can't find my particular query as most other people have had car insurance before in the UK or come from other countries besides Australia.

I have never driven in the UK but have driven for over 25 years in Aus and had fully comp insurance with the NRMA.

I have just been looking to buy a car this week and did an online search for insurance, the cheapest I can find is over £800 per year!!! :eek:

This is almost 3 x what I paid in Australia!!

Surely this can't be right???? :confused:

Does it make any difference that I am using in my online query the fact that I have an Australian driving licence? I haven't got around to changing it yet but do intend to.

quoll Apr 5th 2011 9:48 pm

Re: Car Insurance UK from Australia

You might be able to get some reciprocity if you show them evidence of your NRMA coverage (NRMA would probably oblige with a letter to say you are a good risk) - I am pretty sure that works in reverse when moving to Aus. Go and talk to them in person rather than relying on the vagaries of online checking I reckon.

Change your licence asap!!!

Hope things are going OK! At least the price of the car is going to be significantly cheaper than the equivalent in Sydney (swings and roundabouts huh!)

Beedubya Apr 6th 2011 8:18 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 9287719)
You might be able to get some reciprocity if you show them evidence of your NRMA coverage (NRMA would probably oblige with a letter to say you are a good risk) - I am pretty sure that works in reverse when moving to Aus. Go and talk to them in person rather than relying on the vagaries of online checking I reckon.

Change your licence asap!!!

Hope things are going OK! At least the price of the car is going to be significantly cheaper than the equivalent in Sydney (swings and roundabouts huh!)

Hi Angela, Yes I am going to have to see somebody face to face I think, also I didn't realise that the car I was getting the quote on was a bigger car so am now downsizing to economical hatchbacks as petrol is twice the price over here!! :eek:

I could have sworn I brough my NRMA paperwork with me but it is nowhere to be found. :(

Any lurkers reading this take note, BRING YOUR INSURANCE PAPERWORK with you!!

mia-mia Apr 6th 2011 5:25 pm

Hi,
£800 doesnt sound right if you have about 25 years of driving experience.

You can ask NRMA for a non claim bonus to be emailed to you (I did so 2 years ago), UK insurers would take it into consideration.
Allianz ccertainlydoes.
As for the drivers license, my premium didnt drop a penny when I swaped my QLD llicenseinto NI one, but it has to be done anyway as you are now a UK resident.

Beedubya Apr 6th 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia-mia (Post 9289603)
Hi,
£800 doesnt sound right if you have about 25 years of driving experience.

You can ask NRMA for a non claim bonus to be emailed to you (I did so 2 years ago), UK insurers would take it into consideration.
Allianz ccertainlydoes.
As for the drivers license, my premium didnt drop a penny when I swaped my QLD llicenseinto NI one, but it has to be done anyway as you are now a UK resident.

Thanks to you and Quoll, I have emailed NRMA this morning. I think I must have left my insurance papers behind with the car rego papers as my daughter was selling my car for me. :blink:

Beedubya Apr 14th 2011 10:01 am

I now have a statement from the NRMA with my no claims bonus showing, but am still finding insurance extremely high.

I am in the process of buying an old banger and you seem to get penalised for that too as the road tax is double for cars manufactured before 2001. :sneaky:

I can only find online quotes, does anybody know of somewhere you can go and talk face to face to an actual insurance real person?

chris955 Apr 14th 2011 11:00 am

I have looked into insurance and found it to be roughly the same as here, under 300quid for a new type Mini. I did one of those online comparisons. I wasn't aware of the double road tax, I have also researched that and can't see any reference. Many small cars now are only 20 or 30 quid a year.

Beedubya Apr 14th 2011 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9304569)
I have looked into insurance and found it to be roughly the same as here, under 300quid for a new type Mini. I did one of those online comparisons. I wasn't aware of the double road tax, I have also researched that and can't see any reference. Many small cars now are only 20 or 30 quid a year.

Ah Chris but the problem is I can't afford a new type of car (yet!!).

If you check this site

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10012524

you will see that cars over 1549cc are double the price for road tax.

I would LOVE to know where you found the 20 to 30 pound per year insurance, do tell!!!! I haven't found anything under £400 so far!! :eek:

Beedubya Apr 14th 2011 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9304743)
Ah Chris but the problem is I can't afford a new type of car (yet!!).

If you check this site

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10012524

you will see that cars over 1549cc are double the price for road tax.

I would LOVE to know where you found the 20 to 30 pound per year insurance, do tell!!!! I haven't found anything under £400 so far!! :eek:

Ooops sorry getting my insurance and my road tax mixed up, on a steep learning curve here!! :blink: But still can't find anything pertaining to cars for £30 to £40. :confused:

chris955 Apr 14th 2011 9:52 pm

No problem.
The cheaper cars for road tax are mentioned in that link you posted above. To be honest 10 year old cars are as cheap as chips to buy in the UK and if you choose wisely you will also get the cheap road tax. A far cry from the $700 a year we pay to register a small car here every year. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9305415)
Ooops sorry getting my insurance and my road tax mixed up, on a steep learning curve here!! :blink: But still can't find anything pertaining to cars for £30 to £40. :confused: