Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

car insurance in the UK

car insurance in the UK

Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Bojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really nice
Default car insurance in the UK

I have recently moved back to the UK after 7 years in Eastern Europe, and am in the process of buying a car.
As I cannot prove any no-claims bonus I have to start from scratch in the UK, which is all well and good, and I accept that. The main problem is the number of years in the UK. An insurance broker has just told me that my residency is 'under one month', as I've lived abroad for the last 7 years. The fact that I have spent over 30 years in the UK prior to this counts for nothing!! Nor does the fact that I've held a full UK licence for over 20 years, and have driven a car in the UK every time I've visited. So, basically I'm being put in the same boat as a recent immigrant who has never driven on the left-hand side of the road - and as a result, the insurance premium is ridiculously high.
So, my question to recent returnees, who have bought a car.........do I stretch the truth a bit re. the residency? Or is there anything else I can do?In fact, I'm open to any sensible suggestion! Any recommendations for insurance brokers/websites (have already studied moneysupermarket.com, gocompare.com).
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance in the UK

did you not have insurance for the last 7 years ?? I used my NCB from Spain, the comp in UK accepted written confirmation from the Spanish comp

failing that I would stretch the truth !

Originally Posted by Bojangles
I have recently moved back to the UK after 7 years in Eastern Europe, and am in the process of buying a car.
As I cannot prove any no-claims bonus I have to start from scratch in the UK, which is all well and good, and I accept that. The main problem is the number of years in the UK. An insurance broker has just told me that my residency is 'under one month', as I've lived abroad for the last 7 years. The fact that I have spent over 30 years in the UK prior to this counts for nothing!! Nor does the fact that I've held a full UK licence for over 20 years, and have driven a car in the UK every time I've visited. So, basically I'm being put in the same boat as a recent immigrant who has never driven on the left-hand side of the road - and as a result, the insurance premium is ridiculously high.
So, my question to recent returnees, who have bought a car.........do I stretch the truth a bit re. the residency? Or is there anything else I can do?In fact, I'm open to any sensible suggestion! Any recommendations for insurance brokers/websites (have already studied moneysupermarket.com, gocompare.com).
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

do I stretch the truth a bit re. the residency?
Do this and you may save some money on insurance premiums, but have a claim and they find out and you run the risk of your insurance being void or having to reimburse them for any claim. Could cost a lot more than the premium. I my view, never worth lying to an insurance company. They need little or no excuse to wiggle out of paying up.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Bojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really nice

Originally Posted by spain
did you not have insurance for the last 7 years ??

Of course I had insurance, but I was living in an Eastern European country, where the NCB system was non-existent. Added to which, I mostly used a company car and whilst I know that I haven't had any claims/crashes/accidents, it is impossible to prove this given that the insurance policy was not in my name. (Also, the concept of 'named drivers' is different over there, before anyone asks. )
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I my view, never worth lying to an insurance company. They need little or no excuse to wiggle out of paying up.
You're quite right It just seems so unreasonable that insurance companies don't have more options as far as the question of UK residency is concerned.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Do you have any proof of your NCB from your insurance company here in the UK? I know it was 7 years ago but maybe you could get proof and state that you were away for 7 years driving a company car and are now back in country and wish to use your NCB now.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You're quite right It just seems so unreasonable that insurance companies don't have more options as far as the question of UK residency is concerned.
Well they are pretty hard up now by all accounts due to the recession