Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

car insurance in the UK

car insurance in the UK

Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:25 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: E. Europe
Posts: 11
Bojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really nice
Default car insurance in the UK

I have recently moved back to the UK after 7 years in Eastern Europe, and am in the process of buying a car.
As I cannot prove any no-claims bonus I have to start from scratch in the UK, which is all well and good, and I accept that. The main problem is the number of years in the UK. An insurance broker has just told me that my residency is 'under one month', as I've lived abroad for the last 7 years. The fact that I have spent over 30 years in the UK prior to this counts for nothing!! Nor does the fact that I've held a full UK licence for over 20 years, and have driven a car in the UK every time I've visited. So, basically I'm being put in the same boat as a recent immigrant who has never driven on the left-hand side of the road - and as a result, the insurance premium is ridiculously high.
So, my question to recent returnees, who have bought a car.........do I stretch the truth a bit re. the residency? Or is there anything else I can do?In fact, I'm open to any sensible suggestion! Any recommendations for insurance brokers/websites (have already studied moneysupermarket.com, gocompare.com).
Bojangles is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:56 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
spain's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Kent - Gandia - Kent
Posts: 1,998
spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance in the UK

did you not have insurance for the last 7 years ?? I used my NCB from Spain, the comp in UK accepted written confirmation from the Spanish comp


failing that I would stretch the truth !


Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
I have recently moved back to the UK after 7 years in Eastern Europe, and am in the process of buying a car.
As I cannot prove any no-claims bonus I have to start from scratch in the UK, which is all well and good, and I accept that. The main problem is the number of years in the UK. An insurance broker has just told me that my residency is 'under one month', as I've lived abroad for the last 7 years. The fact that I have spent over 30 years in the UK prior to this counts for nothing!! Nor does the fact that I've held a full UK licence for over 20 years, and have driven a car in the UK every time I've visited. So, basically I'm being put in the same boat as a recent immigrant who has never driven on the left-hand side of the road - and as a result, the insurance premium is ridiculously high.
So, my question to recent returnees, who have bought a car.........do I stretch the truth a bit re. the residency? Or is there anything else I can do?In fact, I'm open to any sensible suggestion! Any recommendations for insurance brokers/websites (have already studied moneysupermarket.com, gocompare.com).
spain is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:39 pm
  #3  
 
Aviator's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: CYXX
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance in the UK

Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
do I stretch the truth a bit re. the residency?
Do this and you may save some money on insurance premiums, but have a claim and they find out and you run the risk of your insurance being void or having to reimburse them for any claim. Could cost a lot more than the premium. I my view, never worth lying to an insurance company. They need little or no excuse to wiggle out of paying up.
Aviator is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:42 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: E. Europe
Posts: 11
Bojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really nice
Default Re: car insurance in the UK

Originally Posted by spain View Post
did you not have insurance for the last 7 years ??

Of course I had insurance, but I was living in an Eastern European country, where the NCB system was non-existent. Added to which, I mostly used a company car and whilst I know that I haven't had any claims/crashes/accidents, it is impossible to prove this given that the insurance policy was not in my name. (Also, the concept of 'named drivers' is different over there, before anyone asks. )
Bojangles is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:57 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: E. Europe
Posts: 11
Bojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really niceBojangles is just really nice
Default Re: car insurance in the UK

Originally Posted by The Aviator View Post
I my view, never worth lying to an insurance company. They need little or no excuse to wiggle out of paying up.
You're quite right It just seems so unreasonable that insurance companies don't have more options as far as the question of UK residency is concerned.
Bojangles is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:03 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 702
bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: car insurance in the UK

Do you have any proof of your NCB from your insurance company here in the UK? I know it was 7 years ago but maybe you could get proof and state that you were away for 7 years driving a company car and are now back in country and wish to use your NCB now.
bromleygirl is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:20 pm
  #7  
 
Aviator's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: CYXX
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance in the UK

Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
You're quite right It just seems so unreasonable that insurance companies don't have more options as far as the question of UK residency is concerned.
Well they are pretty hard up now by all accounts due to the recession
Aviator is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.