British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   car insurance in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-uk-632550/)

Bojangles Sep 25th 2009 12:25 pm

car insurance in the UK

I have recently moved back to the UK after 7 years in Eastern Europe, and am in the process of buying a car.
As I cannot prove any no-claims bonus I have to start from scratch in the UK, which is all well and good, and I accept that. The main problem is the number of years in the UK. An insurance broker has just told me that my residency is 'under one month', as I've lived abroad for the last 7 years. The fact that I have spent over 30 years in the UK prior to this counts for nothing!! Nor does the fact that I've held a full UK licence for over 20 years, and have driven a car in the UK every time I've visited. So, basically I'm being put in the same boat as a recent immigrant who has never driven on the left-hand side of the road - and as a result, the insurance premium is ridiculously high.
So, my question to recent returnees, who have bought a car.........do I stretch the truth a bit re. the residency? Or is there anything else I can do?In fact, I'm open to any sensible suggestion! Any recommendations for insurance brokers/websites (have already studied moneysupermarket.com, gocompare.com).

spain Sep 25th 2009 12:56 pm

Re: car insurance in the UK

did you not have insurance for the last 7 years ?? I used my NCB from Spain, the comp in UK accepted written confirmation from the Spanish comp

failing that I would stretch the truth !

Originally Posted by Bojangles (Post 7964389)
I have recently moved back to the UK after 7 years in Eastern Europe, and am in the process of buying a car.
As I cannot prove any no-claims bonus I have to start from scratch in the UK, which is all well and good, and I accept that. The main problem is the number of years in the UK. An insurance broker has just told me that my residency is 'under one month', as I've lived abroad for the last 7 years. The fact that I have spent over 30 years in the UK prior to this counts for nothing!! Nor does the fact that I've held a full UK licence for over 20 years, and have driven a car in the UK every time I've visited. So, basically I'm being put in the same boat as a recent immigrant who has never driven on the left-hand side of the road - and as a result, the insurance premium is ridiculously high.
So, my question to recent returnees, who have bought a car.........do I stretch the truth a bit re. the residency? Or is there anything else I can do?In fact, I'm open to any sensible suggestion! Any recommendations for insurance brokers/websites (have already studied moneysupermarket.com, gocompare.com).

Aviator Sep 25th 2009 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bojangles (Post 7964389)
do I stretch the truth a bit re. the residency?

Do this and you may save some money on insurance premiums, but have a claim and they find out and you run the risk of your insurance being void or having to reimburse them for any claim. Could cost a lot more than the premium. I my view, never worth lying to an insurance company. They need little or no excuse to wiggle out of paying up.

Bojangles Sep 25th 2009 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by spain (Post 7964436)
did you not have insurance for the last 7 years ??

Of course I had insurance, but I was living in an Eastern European country, where the NCB system was non-existent. Added to which, I mostly used a company car and whilst I know that I haven't had any claims/crashes/accidents, it is impossible to prove this given that the insurance policy was not in my name. (Also, the concept of 'named drivers' is different over there, before anyone asks. ;))

Bojangles Sep 25th 2009 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 7964688)
I my view, never worth lying to an insurance company. They need little or no excuse to wiggle out of paying up.

You're quite right :) It just seems so unreasonable that insurance companies don't have more options as far as the question of UK residency is concerned.

bromleygirl Sep 25th 2009 3:03 pm

Do you have any proof of your NCB from your insurance company here in the UK? I know it was 7 years ago but maybe you could get proof and state that you were away for 7 years driving a company car and are now back in country and wish to use your NCB now.

Aviator Sep 25th 2009 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bojangles (Post 7964734)
You're quite right :) It just seems so unreasonable that insurance companies don't have more options as far as the question of UK residency is concerned.

Well they are pretty hard up now by all accounts due to the recession :rofl: