Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance (tips!)

Wikiposts

Car Insurance (tips!)

Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:59 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance (tips!)

My wife and I have been with Progressive for the last couple of years and haven't had any problems. In fact, after my wife got into a minor accident a few months back which was her fault they took care of everything, and it didn't affect our premium. Now we have to renew and I've done a bit of checking around and it seems that GEICO would work out a lot cheaper if it wasn't for that accident, but if you include that their quote nearly triples!

Anyway I haven't had any problems with Progressive because I have an international licence. Oh and our premium has only come down, first after we got married and again when we moved from Atlanta to a small town in Georgia. It will be interesting to see what the rate is here in Iowa.

Z
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof

Anyway I haven't had any problems with Progressive because I have an international licence
It's not a license, but a permit...and most states require you to get a local license within x number of days, usually 30 days...
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:42 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not a license, but a permit...and most states require you to get a local license within x number of days, usually 30 days...
Actually, I spoke to a couple of cops whilst in Georgia and the only requirement is that you get a local license within a year if you are living there permanently. But this is just for Georgia and of course is different depending on the state.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:47 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You must apply for a Georgia driver's license within 30 days of becoming a Georgia resident. All Customer Service Centers can transfer an out of state license to a Georgia license. A few Customer Service Centers in the Metro Atlanta area ( Atlanta-Capital Ave, Decatur, Lithonia, Locust Grove, North Cobb, and Lawrenceville) offer appointments to transfer your out of state license to Georgia. View the current fee information.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata...44173714&ty=dl
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:04 am
I love my brick!

What you quoted is for people with valid out of state licenses (i.e. US citizens)

Try this for an example.

http://www.gpc.edu/~gpcisaa/driving.htm

"You must have a driver’s license and car insurance to drive in the United States. Driving without a valid driver’s license and failure to have automobile insurance are both violations of the law. Your international driver’s license authorizes you to drive in the United States for one year, but local laws and driving procedures may be very different from those in your home country. It is advisable to enroll in a driver’s education course or safe driving course prior to operating a motor vehicle in the United States. You may also wish to obtain a Georgia driver’s license or state identification card. You will need to take a written test and a driving test in order to obtain your Georgia driver’s license, and there is a fee involved. For general driver’s license information, for locations of the driver’s license office nearest you, to view a driver’s license manual or for fee information, please go to the Georgia Department of Driver Services website."
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What you quoted is for people with valid out of state licenses (i.e. US citizens)

."
No ..thats for anyone who become resident in the State

... Cops are not Law information... usually have no idea anyway

only exception is tourists ...
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:17 am
I love my brick!

Originally Posted by Ray
No ..thats for anyone who become resident in the State

... Cops are not Law information... usually have no idea anyway

only exception is tourists ...
OK, I did a little bit more digging into this and I think the confusion is that I was a student on an F-1 visa and it seems that you don't actually need to get a Georgia license at all if you a full time student. See http://www.shorter.edu/academics/international/faqs.htm (at the bottom)

It's probably different for permanent residents and other visa types.

Z
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:33 am
Ray

OK, I did a little bit more digging into this and I think the confusion is that I was a student on an F-1 visa and it seems that you don't actually need to get a Georgia license at all if you a full time student. See http://www.shorter.edu/academics/international/faqs.htm (at the bottom)

It's probably different for permanent residents and other visa types.

Z
Yup ..student are not permanent ..
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:23 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

After going back and forth on Progressive I finally went for it - the premium actually went down when I put in more details (apparently by adding the VIN). I was suspicious as they hadn't asked me about my commute or annual mileage so I called them and was told that they don't ask that because they don't base their quotes on that information; I couldn't find any small print that gave any sort of limitations so went for it; more than $300 less than Geico for a 6 month premium.