Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance (tips!)

Wikiposts

Car Insurance (tips!)

Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance (tips!)

Originally Posted by TWY
Also, with the dollar being weak presently, there is a good range of cars which i could afford... but i dont know any easy way to guide me on roughly what i can expect to pay for insurance (other than constantly calling companies to get a quote). Is there a web page which gives insurance groups or similar?

Any other tips that you may have regarding insurance (in particular coverage that would be required - i am wanting "fully comprehensive" coverage as i would in Britain).
Every state has a required minimum coverage. Ideally you would want much more than that, but more coverage = more expensive, especially for a new driver. (I know, you aren't a new driver, but that's how US insurance companies are likely to treat you. Sorry.)

In general, performance/sports cars, luxury cars, commonly stolen cars cost more to insure. A boring old family sedan, a few years old, will probably be relatively cheap.

In addition to some of the other companies suggested, you might try State Farm. They have a reputation for low cost coverage. I use Nationwide, but my wife and I have been customers for years, so our rates would be nothing like yours.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosmicgirl
We have our car and house insurance through a compant called AIG Global Star as they do a special scheme for people who have come to the USA from abroad. They are really helpful. You will find that you cannot purchase a car without proof of insurance and AIG can provide you with cover the next day. They can also help many other services us expats have trouble with including your SSN. They have a membership programme which cost $400 a year but i think this is money well spent. Their phone number is 1-888-737-3916. Their email address is [email protected].
I would highly recommend them.
Progressive provided us with an instant card online that was printable as proof of insurance. The dealer even let us use his computer to set it up.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Not wishing to hijack the thread but are there insurance companies that people would steer well clear of. It's difficult to find any good information as web reviews seem to be full of bitter people who didn't get their claim paid by whatever company they are with.

I've been with Geico for a few years (since back when a lot of companies wouldn't insure NJ drivers). Now there are many more in the market and the big ones like Progressive and AIG are a lot cheaper. Now it used to be the case that you pay for what you get so if you pay more you can expect better customer service but looking around online it doesn't seem that there's much difference in the number of complaints (except AIG seems to be a bit worse than others).

Any recommendations?

My wife was hit by someone in Texas - and they were insured with State Farm who were superb! We didnt deal with our insurance company at all.

We were with Allstate in Texas who were really good although we never had a claim. They gave us credit for UK experience even though they werent supposed to - i think it was an error but it saved us a packet! They were shit in NY though and GEICO was much cheaper so we are with them now!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
My wife was hit by someone in Texas - and they were insured with State Farm who were superb! We didnt deal with our insurance company at all.

We were with Allstate in Texas who were really good although we never had a claim. They gave us credit for UK experience even though they werent supposed to - i think it was an error but it saved us a packet! They were shit in NY though and GEICO was much cheaper so we are with them now!
I have had State Farm for years. They've been just fine.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

PrimGuru is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried to find insurance when I first came here in 2002 and the rates were extremely high from the quotes on line and speaking with agents. I talked to someone from the credit union and they put me on to a Farmers agent. I asked if my no claims could be taken into consideration and she agreed that if I could provide proof with a letter from my UK insurance she would get me a better deal. Out of 5 quotes she came in at less than half of all the others. I live in Houston.

Stephen
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is, yae, about time, Mass is finally not going to be dictating insurance rates from April 1st, so the big insurance companies will bother to come to town and have proper competition, so things should get cheaper, especially as they can refuse to insure high risk people now and punt them over to other insurance companies.

One good thing about this state though, it's got low % of none insured drivers, but that's partially because if your caught, they impound and flog your car....the real hassle is being on the NH border, where they don't need insurance.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't sound good. Do you mean they put the rates up after the initial coverage period?
We're with Progressive - the only adjustment on the rate we've ever had is paying less - if you pay in a oner for your 6 months, you save quite a bit. Been with them 3 years now, premiums have been steadily falling.

Not had probs whatsoever (yet!) - high coverages and better rates than other biggies round here for us - such as Geico (absolute rip - chronically so) and State Farm.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:03 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
We're with Progressive - the only adjustment on the rate we've ever had is paying less - if you pay in a oner for your 6 months, you save quite a bit. Been with them 3 years now, premiums have been steadily falling.

Not had probs whatsoever (yet!) - high coverages and better rates than other biggies round here for us - such as Geico (absolute rip - chronically so) and State Farm.
Progressive doesn't seem to have as good reviews for customer service. I don't mind paying a bit more if I know I'm going to get good service (after all that's what you're paying for and it makes sense that if you pay more you would expect better service). I went through some quotes and State Farm is $100 less than Geico, the Progressive quote comes in at $350 less than Geico but I realise now that they didn't ask me about my annual mileage or my commute. I have a long commute and therefore high mileage so expect that that number will change quite significantly. I'm going to try AAA next.

Edit to add: if people bought on the basis of cost rather than quality (whether of service or anything else) everyone would be driving Hyundai cars.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Illinois our premium has gone up as the state can put the rates up. 8% this year!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved over we were able to lease a car at European costs by ordering it before we arrived through International Autosource. They also set up our insurance with is also with AIG. It seemed quite expensive but since I have also bought a car and insured it with AIG and so we got a multicar discount. It works out at about $750 for both cars for six months. Insurance seems much more expensive over here, but then this is the country where everyone sues everyone else so I suppose it's more necessary! I would reccommend AIG though. They have been very efficient and helpful.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone with a US military connection - USAA is excellent.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:02 pm
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TWY
Hi
I have just got my Texas drivers license, and now i want to buy a car.

Which insurance companies are most open to giving good quotes to a "new" driver (with only 16 years unblemished UK history)? Is there anything that I should say to get a good quote? I do have a letter from my UK insurers stating that I have had no claims for last 4 years with them - is this likely to help?

I am still awaiting my Social Security number - does this wildly affect the insurance premium?

Also, with the dollar being weak presently, there is a good range of cars which i could afford... but i dont know any easy way to guide me on roughly what i can expect to pay for insurance (other than constantly calling companies to get a quote). Is there a web page which gives insurance groups or similar?

Any other tips that you may have regarding insurance (in particular coverage that would be required - i am wanting "fully comprehensive" coverage as i would in Britain).

Your thoughts are appreciated!
May not help you directly, but I figured it may help.

I go through State Farm for renters insurance, car insurance and the car loan. With multiple account discounts I get the renters pretty much for free.

I'm sure any agent (not salesman) would be happy to sit down with you and talk you through it. But I'd shop around, especially the companies others have posted as they seem really good.

FYI if you get a quote online from some companies you're signing up for a lot of junk mail even if you don't complete the process.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Progressive doesn't seem to have as good reviews for customer service. I don't mind paying a bit more if I know I'm going to get good service (after all that's what you're paying for and it makes sense that if you pay more you would expect better service). I went through some quotes and State Farm is $100 less than Geico, the Progressive quote comes in at $350 less than Geico but I realise now that they didn't ask me about my annual mileage or my commute. I have a long commute and therefore high mileage so expect that that number will change quite significantly. I'm going to try AAA next.

Edit to add: if people bought on the basis of cost rather than quality (whether of service or anything else) everyone would be driving Hyundai cars.
A very good thing about Progressive is that you can change anything you want to instantly, online. Their website and that sort of DIY support is fantastic. I have not had to deal otherwise to date (touch wood!) - but happy so far. The difference you quote between Geico and Progressive was about the same for us - commute included, and for better 250/500/250 coverage with Progressive over 100/300/100 with Geico.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
A very good thing about Progressive is that you can change anything you want to instantly, online. Their website and that sort of DIY support is fantastic. I have not had to deal otherwise to date (touch wood!) - but happy so far. The difference you quote between Geico and Progressive was about the same for us - commute included, and for better 250/500/250 coverage with Progressive over 100/300/100 with Geico.
Yes, when comparing premiums you have to be careful you're comparing apples to apples.

Bot the coverage AND the deductibles will make a big difference in premium. You have options in both, make sure the agents explore those options with you.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm actually keeping my various insurance policies with separate companies, since you never know who is going to go bust next in this climate. It's not costing me any more to have them separate, in some cases it's cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.