British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car insurance, Texas - wool being pulled over my eyes??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-texas-wool-being-pulled-over-my-eyes-795973/)

Walkerhome May 3rd 2013 11:46 pm

Car insurance, Texas - wool being pulled over my eyes???

I have been told by a callback agent from my car insurance ( Travellers ) that my 18 year old daughter needs to be on our car insurance ( that pushes the cost up by 1800 ) just because she lives in our house. I told them she does not and will not be driving our car but does hold a UK license.:frown: PLEASE tell me this is incorrect someone....

md95065 May 3rd 2013 11:59 pm

Re: Car insurance, Texas - wool being pulled over my eyes???

Originally Posted by Walkerhome (Post 10691157)
I have been told by a callback agent from my car insurance ( Travellers ) that my 18 year old daughter needs to be on our car insurance ( that pushes the cost up by 1800 ) just because she lives in our house. I told them she does not and will not be driving our car but does hold a UK license.:frown: PLEASE tell me this is incorrect someone....

It is common for auto insurance companies to want to know the names and driving histories of *all* licensed drivers in your household regardless of whether you want them to be insured or not and to set the premiums accordingly.

It's a bit like home owner's insurance wanting to know whether anyone in the household is a smoker - they don't think that they are deliberately going to burn the place down but their mere presence does increase the risk.

Try shopping around for a different company.

Jerseygirl May 4th 2013 12:00 am

Sorry but it is correct...whether or not she can drive.

Speedwell May 4th 2013 12:36 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10691164)
It is common for auto insurance companies to want to know the names and driving histories of *all* licensed drivers in your household regardless of whether you want them to be insured or not and to set the premiums accordingly.

It's a bit like home owner's insurance wanting to know whether anyone in the household is a smoker - they don't think that they are deliberately going to burn the place down but their mere presence does increase the risk.

Try shopping around for a different company.

Oddly, when I added my husband to my insurance, I was able to add him as a non-driver. He really, truly does not drive (vision problems) so I got the benefit of the lower "married" premium without actually having to add a driver. I'm sure there's a way to do it for the daughter if she will really honestly not be a driver in the US.

Suexpat May 4th 2013 12:58 am

When our son comes to visit from university we have to add him to our insurance and pay for the period he will be driving. We even had to change insurance so the cost wouldn't be too high

Bob May 4th 2013 1:32 am

Many states require anyone that can get a learners permit be on the insurance until they're 21/25 regardless of having a license or being allowed to drive the car, because of the potential for them to take the car.

It's one of those things you should have been aware of and have to suck up as the cost of living here :(

scrubbedexpat099 May 4th 2013 1:44 am

She would have to be allocated to one of your vehicles.

Yorkieabroad May 4th 2013 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10691223)
Many states require anyone that can get a learners permit be on the insurance until they're 21/25 regardless of having a license or being allowed to drive the car, because of the potential for them to take the car.

It's one of those things you should have been aware of and have to suck up as the cost of living here :(

I've been here 12 years and I've just learnt that :o I guess most of the folk we knock around with don't have driving age kids, so its never come up. So when they are old enough to apply for a learners permit, whether or not they do apply, we need to add them to the insurance? Little buggers get more and more expensive every time you turn around.....

goldenstate31 May 4th 2013 3:05 am

That is correct unfortunately. I was told by our agent at state farm they assume that our kids maybe, just might, go out without permission in our vehicle!! :eek: so we pay for our kids even when they're not driving. :)

Bob May 4th 2013 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10691266)
I've been here 12 years and I've just learnt that :o I guess most of the folk we knock around with don't have driving age kids, so its never come up. So when they are old enough to apply for a learners permit, whether or not they do apply, we need to add them to the insurance? Little buggers get more and more expensive every time you turn around.....

Yes.

Locking them up in the basement does look like a better solution every day doesn't it :D

Down our way, you only have to have them on the insurance until they're either 21 or 25 and then it's every householder that holds a license regardless if they'll drive the car or not, but if they don't hold a license they don't need to be on the policy from that point onwards.

It's a good money making scam really.

Yorkieabroad May 4th 2013 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10691648)

Locking them up in the basement does look like a better solution every day doesn't it :D

I was thinking about adopting them out.....with the Russians clamping down, we could probably get a good price for them!

Jerseygirl May 4th 2013 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10691233)
She would have to be allocated to one of your vehicles.

That is not the case in NJ. All members of the household of driving age have to be insured to drive all the vehicles. My daughter had her own car...but we had to insure her to drive the 4 cars that we owned.

scrubbedexpat099 May 4th 2013 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10691688)
That is not the case in NJ. All members of the household of driving age have to be insured to drive all the vehicles. My daughter had her own car...but we had to insure her to drive the 4 cars that we owned.

For premium purposes.

AS far as I am aware US does not do named drivers.

Manc May 4th 2013 2:44 pm

hat is standard for when I was with State Farm in Michigan.

if there is anyone in the household with a license, with access to a vehicle, then they must be rated on a vehicle accordingly.

(I know you said, she doesn't live there and doesn't have a license, am just telling you their philosophy)

I heard it all the time from parents, "They're not going to drive my car"
which is nonsense. because it will happen when Mom needs a half dozen of eggs from the store and sends little 18 year old old out with the keys, because it won't matter just this once.....

If you have exposure to a vehicle, then they must be rated on one.

Prove to the insurance company that your child lives elsewhere. No offense, but away at college doesn't count..... they still are domiciled at your house.

If she has a license, then she has a license, UK or US, she's a driver.

scrubbedexpat099 May 4th 2013 3:00 pm

Last summer you said she was moving with you, so where does she live?