Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

car insurance - returning to UK

car insurance - returning to UK

Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:12 am

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice
Default car insurance - returning to UK

How easy is it to obtain car insurance after a long, very long absence from the UK? At 72 I have a clean driving record both in France, and in Canada where I now reside and where I drive. I have driven since the age 18 with only a matter of five or so years without a car (overseas in various countries).

Any recommendations as to UK insurance companies to contact please?

Thank you one and all.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

salgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant future
Default Re: car insurance - returning to UK

Originally Posted by anishq
How easy is it to obtain car insurance after a long, very long absence from the UK? At 72 I have a clean driving record both in France, and in Canada where I now reside and where I drive. I have driven since the age 18 with only a matter of five or so years without a car (overseas in various countries).

Any recommendations as to UK insurance companies to contact please?

Thank you one and all.
I used the web site http://www.gocompare.co.uk/ and went with Tesco who had the better rating for best coverage/price. I was able to apply an excellent no claims record with Tesco which further lowered my rate by obtaining a letter from my previous insurance agent.

Hoe that helps...good luck
Old Dec 15th 2010, 11:03 am

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. Looks promising then. Never would have thought that Tesco did car insurance but I have been away a long while. Shall have a good look at the site you referred to.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salgb
I used the web site http://www.gocompare.co.uk/ and went with Tesco who had the better rating for best coverage/price. I was able to apply an excellent no claims record with Tesco which further lowered my rate by obtaining a letter from my previous insurance agent.

Hoe that helps...good luck
As long as the OP doesn't have to watch those ANNOYING adverts, I absolutely hate them and will put the mute button on at the first hint of THAT voice...........

http://www.gocompare.com/gio-compario/

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 16th 2010 at 3:37 am.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:47 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I keep a letter safe that is from my old insurance company showing I have no claims, Hope this works
Old Dec 16th 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

UK companies would not acccept my Australian no claims bonus because it was expressed in %age not years on the certificate. I tried a few different ones, I still managed to get cover but not at a careful driver rate, more like back to square 1
Old Dec 16th 2010, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

salgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant future

Sorry to hear that Island Girl. I had my insurance Co. agent write a letter - maybe you could try getting that? Not sure how things work in Aus. It saved me a bundle though, so worth it if you can swing it.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 6:45 am

Thank you for all your comments. I shouldn't have any problem in Canada with obtaining letters showing a clean driving record. Already have one from France where I was before. Have to admit to being a little fazed with the categories of insurance. Was interested in a Hyundai SUV in Category 11 but still trying to ascertain what price that would be as a ball park figure.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:18 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
UK companies would not acccept my Australian no claims bonus because it was expressed in %age not years on the certificate. I tried a few different ones, I still managed to get cover but not at a careful driver rate, more like back to square 1
really?
we had no problem. we just got the insurance company to confirm how many years no claim in writing and fax it.... it was easy,...
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

As long as the OP doesn't have to watch those ANNOYING adverts, I absolutely hate them and will put the mute button on at the first hint of THAT voice...........
Mummy will not be amused...
Old Dec 26th 2010, 8:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john5655
Mummy will not be amused...