Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Quotes

Car Insurance Quotes

Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance Quotes

Hey

Just wanted to check something. Just looking at getting a couple of cars and have been quoted $530 each for a Corolla, RAV 4 or a Prius per 6 months.

This is through AIG's TravelGuard service.

Does that sound reasonable (I have no barometer on this).

Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:55 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance Quotes

Yep, that's pretty good.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I agree... that's pretty reasonable.

Ian
Old Apr 4th 2012, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks both.

With the home insurance and car insurance I think this AIG service has pretty much paid for itself.

I definately recommend.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For a new car, with no US credit or driving history, that's pretty cheap.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:49 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
For a new car, with no US credit or driving history, that's pretty cheap.
The AIG thing saved us a packet!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Actually. I realised today that the quote was for 2 cars and not one (I was asking them to price up different combinations of cars).

Have to say I am pretty damned happy with that.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Bogester is an unknown quantity at this point

I've also got a quote from TravelGuard for a Ford Focus Titanium, but at $700 for six months it's quite a bit more than the OP's quote (admittedly for different cars, and motor insurance for my wife is also included in my quote). Does my quote sound excessive, or is this typical given that I've not yet moved to the US and don't yet have a US driving licence or address? I did disclose details of a couple of prangs that I've had in the past five years, which I'm sure has bumped the price up a bit.

Thanks
Old May 10th 2012, 10:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bogester
I've also got a quote from TravelGuard for a Ford Focus Titanium, but at $700 for six months it's quite a bit more than the OP's quote (admittedly for different cars, and motor insurance for my wife is also included in my quote). Does my quote sound excessive, or is this typical given that I've not yet moved to the US and don't yet have a US driving licence or address? I did disclose details of a couple of prangs that I've had in the past five years, which I'm sure has bumped the price up a bit.

Thanks
That's pretty reasonable. Anything in the $600-700 per six month, for your first year is fairly typical.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:02 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Insurance is different state by state. But they all have one thing in common - it's much more complex than the UK. You can't just get a quick quote. There is a laundry list of insured risks which you can pick and choose. Each risk carries it own premium. On top of that, you must choose the level of liability coverage and deductible (excess) you want for each item. Here's a typical Florida secenario:
1) Comprehensive coverage for all perils for your car
2) Collision damage for your car
3) Third party liability for property damage (anywhere from $10k to $500k)
4) Third party liability for injury (anywhere from $10k to $500k)
5) Uninsured motorist protection (for your medical bills if hit by uninsured motorist -not really necessary if you have good general medical insurance)
6) State mandated 'no fault' injury protection
7) Temporary rental car

In general, the most expensive line items are for medical/injury (surprise!).

The real scary part is that in Florida you can drive around with the state minimum $10000 liability which barely covers a broken finger if someone injures you. Add to that the number of uninsured and you better have very good medical coverage for yourself.