Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance for non-US citizen

Car Insurance for non-US citizen

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:24 am
Just Joined

SBHQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance for non-US citizen

I'm going to be heading to the states for two months and want to buy/sell a car there to get around.

Firstly is this even allowed, and secondly what is the situation with insurance?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance for non-US citizen

Originally Posted by SBHQ View Post
Firstly is this even allowed...
Can you buy/sell a car? Yes. Buying is the easy part... you might never be able to sell it.

... and secondly what is the situation with insurance?
You likely won't be able to get insurance. It'd be much easier and more cost effective to rent for a couple of months.

Ian
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Insurance is going to be an utter mare and it's likely to wipe out any savings over a rental car if you can even get it. Add to that the transaction cost of buying a car (depending on the state, you might have to pay sales tax on top of the purchase price before you're able to register the car), potential problems registering it because you don't have a US drivers license and having to sell it very quickly afterwards and this has Bad Idea written all over it.

And that's before we even get to the part about finding a good used car for reasonable money (unless you want to spend $6k-$10k). For some inexplicable reason, used cars are much more expensive over here than they are in the UK and by the time they're sub $3k they're often of questionable mechanical quality (to put it mildly - keep in mind that the majority of states here has no equivalent of an MOT).
Old Sep 24th 2012, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible - I know people who have done this. I think they got insurance through Progressive.

For 2 months in this economy, I'd be tempted to go with a rental. Maybe in a better economy it would be easier to buy a good used car but people are currently holding on to good used cars for longer or selling them for more. The used car option might be worth it for trips of 3 months or longer.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps, Hertz has a $499 per month offer at the moment.
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/q-11362773/hertz-rentals-as-low-as-$499-per-month-special-offer
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:21 am
BMO
Just Joined

BMO is an unknown quantity at this point

For less than $499 per month you could rent a car. If you're looking to save money thats the best option. You then arent left with a car at the end of your holiday that you cant sell so you're like $5,000 out of pocket for!!!

That would be a nightmare
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

if the car you buy is a beater, say a $500 1990 ford tempo..... you only need liability insurance.

I would ask your current insurer in the UK if they offer a Personal Umbrella for liability purposes and see if that extends worldwide.

I know in the USA, my Personal umbrella coverage insures me for $1,000,000 worldwide and I used this policy to insure me third party wise when I drove my mums old car in the UK.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:30 pm
BMO
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
if the car you buy is a beater, say a $500 1990 ford tempo..... you only need liability insurance.

I would ask your current insurer in the UK if they offer a Personal Umbrella for liability purposes and see if that extends worldwide.

I know in the USA, my Personal umbrella coverage insures me for $1,000,000 worldwide and I used this policy to insure me third party wise when I drove my mums old car in the UK.
I didnt even know you could get a car for $500!!! Where? Would be good for a stop gap until I find something decent
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...30658069&Log=0
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BMO View Post
I didnt even know you could get a car for $500!!! Where? Would be good for a stop gap until I find something decent
Then you have the problems of breakdown/repairs. Much better to hire a car IMO...at least it would be more road worthy with some up to date safety features. Gawd knows you need them the way people here drive.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:40 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Then you have the problems of breakdown/repairs.
you pay your money you take your chance.

he only needs it for 60 days no?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BMO View Post
Plenty of bangers out there on craigslist and those no credit sales places but they'll be right shit, but if only for a few weeks you might be okay.

Problem probably comes with getting the car inspected and then registered, with no fixed address...though all that would depend on the state.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

There's also a chance that the title might not show up in time, which will effectively prevent the OP from selling the car.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:58 pm
BMO
Just Joined

I didnt even know they had an auto trader over there haha

Wait...How the HELL did a car do 429,611 miles and is still going...!?!?!?!??!? WOW

I would still 100% advise that you just rent though. You can get some pretty good deals
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
you pay your money you take your chance.

he only needs it for 60 days no?
You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.