Reload this Page >

Car Insurance for New Arrivals

Car Insurance for New Arrivals

Old Dec 10th 2019, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

vivid291 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance for New Arrivals

Hi all,

apologies if there is already a thread somewhere about this but just wondering if anyone has any car insurance companies they’d recommend. I’ve been driving for 10 years with 10 years no claims in the U.K. but I believe that your foreign driving history doesn’t count for U.S. insurance companies so I’m anticipating being treated like a brand new driver. I’m going to get my U.S. license within the month I move over and am fortunate in that my husband has an old car that I can drive initially. Just wondering if anyone here was in a similar situation when they first moved and what insurance providers they went with and how much it cost etc. I’ve heard it initially costs an arm and a leg so at least if I have an idea in advance, hearing the figures when the time comes won’t be a complete shock!
Many thanks in advance!
Old Dec 10th 2019, 11:47 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance for New Arrivals

US insurance costs 'an arm and a leg' period simply because of the level of claims. Most people here couldn't drive a greasy stick up a hogs a**.

You're correct that your UK driving history won't be assessed.

I personally would go with local recommendations when you arrive since the industry here is highly variable by locality.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Most people here couldn't drive a greasy stick up a hogs a**.
In the UK we get taught to drive a car, whereas in the US they get taught to operate an automobile - two very different skills IMO.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 1:55 pm
Jpk
Just Joined

Jpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TexanScot
In the UK we get taught to drive a car, whereas in the US they get taught to operate an automobile - two very different skills IMO.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 2:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vivid291
Hi all,

apologies if there is already a thread somewhere about this but just wondering if anyone has any car insurance companies they’d recommend. I’ve been driving for 10 years with 10 years no claims in the U.K. but I believe that your foreign driving history doesn’t count for U.S. insurance companies so I’m anticipating being treated like a brand new driver. I’m going to get my U.S. license within the month I move over and am fortunate in that my husband has an old car that I can drive initially. Just wondering if anyone here was in a similar situation when they first moved and what insurance providers they went with and how much it cost etc. I’ve heard it initially costs an arm and a leg so at least if I have an idea in advance, hearing the figures when the time comes won’t be a complete shock!
Many thanks in advance!
Your husband will still be the owner of the car, so he should advise his insurance company that there will be an additional driver. It is the vehicle that is insured, so as long as the company is aware that you are driving it, you will be fine, though it is possible the cost may go up. You don't need to look for a different company.

Old Dec 10th 2019, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved over 20 years ago, my first insurance policy was $1,800 for 6 months.

Came down over the next two years quite quickly though.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Aquapanther is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my TN driving test a couple of years ago. I took a right at out the test station, took a right at the lights after about 50m, drove 100m, took a u-turn and went back to the test center. I was out no longer than 5 mins.
When we were leaving the test center I was sitting behind a car. I put the handbrake on and popped it into neutral. The instructor laughed at me and said I don't need to worry about things like that!!!
Old Dec 10th 2019, 5:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

When we were leaving the test center I was sitting behind a car. I put the handbrake on and popped it into neutral. The instructor laughed at me and said I don't need to worry about things like that!!!
I've never heard of doing that. What does it do?

Rene
Old Dec 10th 2019, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
An obvious thing to do if you were brought up driving Manuals. Probably took the test in an Automatic.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Heljpvy is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a good deal from Geico, maybe check them out
Old Dec 10th 2019, 9:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Again, the OP is going to be driving her husband's car. They should update his insurance to be in both their names (for everything -- homeowner's/renter's as well as auto), and when she gets her own car it will be added to that policy.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 10:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Again, the OP is going to be driving her husband's car. They should update his insurance to be in both their names (for everything -- homeowner's/renter's as well as auto), and when she gets her own car it will be added to that policy.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Having recently insured for the first time I found best deal with liberty mutual, better than the competitors including Geico.

they can also enroll you in a 90days driving program, if you drive well, further discount, up to 30%

I got 25% extra off when that finished. Also got renters insurance with it, pretty comprehensive cover, still cheaper than the competitors. Might be worth a look, they seem newcomer friendly...
Old Dec 11th 2019, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
If only that were the case in Florida, two laps of a tennis court sized off road set of cones and you're ready to hit the road (and everything else that gets in your way).

Apparently the 'safe driver endorsement' on my licence qualifies me for cheaper rates, not that you'd think they were.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Aquapanther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Originally Posted by Boiler
An obvious thing to do if you were brought up driving Manuals. Probably took the test in an Automatic.
Yeah, this. You were taught in the UK to secure the car from moving accidentally if you were going to be paused for any length of time.
I still do it from time to time (at the annoyance of my wife lol) if I'm in a car where the doors unlock when it goes into park, and I need to scratch my foot at the lights!

Last edited by Aquapanther; Dec 11th 2019 at 9:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.