Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance for New Arrivals

Car Insurance for New Arrivals

Old Dec 12th 2019, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance for New Arrivals

Just to add my two cents, when getting a policy you will be offered state minimum insurance. Look to double this value and also ask for an umbrella policy of approx $1m-$2m.

State minimum insurance often only covers for about $30k of damage. If you put someone in hospital the bill can rise quickly and they can sue you for the difference. I was under insured in my first year, but now know better.

Try a local, independent insurance agent. My local one got me a deal with Erie insurance; they did take my UK proof of no claims into account and got a reasonable (all relative) price

Good luck
Old Dec 12th 2019, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Liberty mutual took my UK history into account.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

I found that doing quotes online gave me very high rates when first moved over. Upon a recommendation to phone a local agent and just talk through the situation meant they DID factor in my UK driving history / age etc and my rates were reduced substantially.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 12:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't anyone understand that this poster is coming to the US on an IR-1/CR-1 visa. She has an American husband who already has automobile insurance. She appears not to have discussed this with her husband or he would have told her that she will get coverage under HIS policy. She does not need to get quotes or look for any insurer....the husband already has one.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Doesn't anyone understand that this poster is coming to the US on an IR-1/CR-1 visa. She has an American husband who already has automobile insurance. She appears not to have discussed this with her husband or he would have told her that she will get coverage under HIS policy. She does not need to get quotes or look for any insurer....the husband already has one.
No need to be narky

Really had to look hard at her post to see that one sentence.

Old Dec 13th 2019, 2:36 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane

No need to be narky

I have twice pointed out the same information as Rete in this very thread, but it just doesn’t seem to register! Thank you for the reiteration, Rete.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

WOW Happy Holidays everyone, let's lighten up a bit!

All the OP says (and she seems not to have come back to this thread) is that her husband has an old car. Nothing that says he has a current motor policy or even a driver license! She asks about getting insured herself and most answers address that, not some other hypothetical.

Perhaps if she comes back she will clarify.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 12:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane

No need to be narky

Not being narky, dear. The OP has been a posting member since November, 2018 and comes here once in a while for information. I'm familiar with her postings and know what visa she is coming into the US on and double checked it by looking back to see what her other posts were.

All the information given is useful information and will be helpful to any newbie coming to the US.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 6:32 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

It is worth noting all the above though. If the OP's husband's insurance company charge an arm and a leg to add the OP, treating her as a 16-year old, it is useful for them to know that they may be able to save a large chunk of change by switching insurer...i.e. yes, to the OP, some insurance companies have taken UK history into account, but some haven't.

Whilst it is right that she does not "need" to look for an insurer, per se, she might want to look for a cheaper insurer.

And yes, AllState took my UK record into account.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

vivid291 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Sincere apologies for not responding to this thread sooner. I thought I'd replied, but clearly didn't. I really appreciate all the feedback. Really good to know that some insurers will take into account the UK driving history. That's a real relief!

I'm in a sticky situation in that my husband is currently on his family's shared insurance plan up (more cars on the policy, less cost). We've agreed that we need to separate from the family plan to have our own insurance as a married couple now that I've moved. As such, he knows little about insurance and he can just about add me to the policy as an approved driver but that's where his knowledge ends.

It has been brought to my attention that the car I will be driving currently belongs to my mother-in-law (my husband was driving the car before he purchased his current one). As such, it's looking like we'll be getting our own insurance once he takes over ownership of the old car, hopefully in a month or so. My mother-in-law has told her insurance that I'll be driving the old car in the meantime and she told me that once he becomes the registered owner of the car, he can do the same and give permission for me to be a named driver of the vehicle and that should avoid a hike in insurance costs until I end up getting a job and having enough money to buy a vehicle of my own. Is that a common thing here and is that ok to do? Is that what some of these responses are referring to? I'm accustomed to having my own insurance policy back home so this is all new to me and don't want to do something I shouldn't be doing out of ignorance.

Thanks the advice guys and apologies again for such a late response!