Reload this Page >

Car Insurance NC

Car Insurance NC

Old Aug 8th 2016, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance NC

Hi All,

I've read several thread on here about car insurance and had a search through the forums.

I've lived in NC for just about a year. I live near Lake Norman about 30 miles north of Charlotte. Its a nice, reasonably prosperous area to live in.

I drive a 2016 Toyota 4 runner and for when the weather is nice (which it usually is), I have a 2015 Suzuki Vstrom D650L motorbike. I've had my NC driving license since Oct 2015 and my bike license since March 16. I have had my full UK license since
1995 and I am 43 years old.

Last year I got my insurance through an agent for about 3600 dollars for the year. I was hoping it was going to decrease this year but I just got a quote of Geico at $442 a month. I've looked through this forum and am seeing people paying < 200 bucks a month. A I going wrong somewhere looking for insurance?

Thanks,

Last edited by capin; Aug 8th 2016 at 10:05 pm. Reason: spelling and typos
Old Aug 8th 2016, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance NC

Going on what myself and Mrs DJ pay it seems pretty high! I live in California and we pay $160 a month for a brand new Lexus RX350 and a newish Nissan Altima.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dj6372
Going on what myself and Mrs DJ pay it seems pretty high! I live in California and we pay $160 a month for a brand new Lexus RX350 and a newish Nissan Altima.
Thanks for the reply. The money you mentioned is much more like what i am looking to pay. I also read this thread and they all seem to be in the sam ball park -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...fornia-881209/
Old Aug 8th 2016, 10:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capin
.... I've lived in NC for just about a year. .....
How long have you lived in the US? ...... In my experience US car insurance starts off high, but falls fairly rapidly. I am also in NC, but we pay $1,300 for an F250, a Mustang GT, and a Honda Accord.

That said $3,600 does seem to be extraordinarily high, and I would expect you to be in the $1,600 - $2,000 range, though maybe the motorbike bumps it up?

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 8th 2016 at 10:32 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How long have you lived in the US? ...... In my experience US car insurance starts off high, but falls fairly rapidly. I am also in NC, but we pay $1,300 for an F250, a Mustang GT, and a Honda Accord.

That said $3,600 does seem to be extraordinarily high, and I would expect you to be in the $1,600 - $2,000 range, though maybe the motorbike bumps it up?
Pulaski, thanks for the reply.

I moved to NC on 03 Sep 2015, As part of my relocation I got a hire car for 6 weeks and bought and insured the 4runner round about October 10th and I just paid the last insurance installment of $326. The $3600 was considerably lower than some other places last year (some were 5K plus). I was hoping it would drop to maybe $2000 on renewal but I got a test quote with Geico today, over 4K.

The bike is on a separate policy, $500 liability only.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 10:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I moved to NC on 03 Sep 2015 .....
Is that when you moved to the US?

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 8th 2016 at 10:31 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Yes
Old Aug 9th 2016, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the Raleigh area and use State Farm.

For 4 cars, 4 drivers its currently $2700 a year. That's for a year old Golf GTI, 2 year old Corvette, an 8 year old Honda Civic and a 10 year old Honda Pilot.

One of the drivers is 17 and has had a full license for just a year. She of course is the most expensive to insure.

Interestingly the Corvette is the cheapest, even less than the GTI.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Seems too high. How is your credit score? Most insurers use it as a factor in assessing premium.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Seems too high. How is your credit score? Most insurers use it as a factor in assessing premium.
around the 700 mark. Never been late with any form of payment, just not very established here.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

I would try getting quotes with some different insurers. Also, if possible, be sure to state how many years UK experience you have. The big four (Geico, Progressive, StateFarm, and Allstate) all seem to take this into consideration. If you don't see it on their website, give them a call and speak with someone.

My first 18 months of car insurance was with Progressive, as they had the best quote, at about $2400 for the year for 100K/300K fully comprehensive insurance for a brand new Mazda CX5. Geico, StateFarm, and Allstate were all quoting $3000 - $4000+ for the year.

I recently switched to Geico and I'm now paying about $1300 for the year, for 500K/500K fully comprehensive insurance. Much cheaper and much more cover to boot.

Last edited by cautiousjon; Aug 9th 2016 at 8:04 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
I would try getting quotes with some different insurers. Also, if possible, be sure to state how many years UK experience you have. The big four (Geico, Progressive, StateFarm, and Allstate) all seem to take this into consideration. If you don't see it on their website, give them a call and speak with someone. ....
That's the best advice - the US car insurance business isn't set up to recognize and reward "new" drivers who have years of prior experience overseas, and who arrive in the US trying to insure a car for the first time.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's the best advice - the US car insurance business isn't set up to recognize and reward "new" drivers who have years of prior experience overseas, and who arrive in the US trying to insure a car for the first time.
I understand that, Insurance is after all a business. My first years insurance in the US cost me $3600 on a new 4runner. I searched loads of insurance companies and agencies, Geico quoted me nearly $8000 so I was almost thankful to get the $3600 with National general. I was hoping with an improving credit score, a year's experience and a year with no claims (and I know it doesn't really work like that over here) to maybe get a sub 2K quote and I think I may be onto something with nationwide

Thanks to all for giving me an idea of what they are paying.

And by the ways, I LOVE living in NC.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 8:14 pm

.... And by the ways, I LOVE living in NC.
Shush! Don't tell everybody!
Old Aug 10th 2016, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping with an improving credit score, a year's experience and a year with no claims (and I know it doesn't really work like that over here) to maybe get a sub 2K quote and I think I may be onto something with nationwide
FWIW my 17 year old just had her first year of driving and her portion of the policy dropped 30%. Basically from $640 to $450 for the year. That might give you some idea of what someone with a years experience should expect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.