British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car Insurance - might be useful to someone (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-might-useful-someone-934478/)

Mic1 Aug 22nd 2020 4:45 pm

Car Insurance - might be useful to someone

Post from another forum that i was discussing car insurance on:

wow! that's crazy. Costco sells car insurance through a partner company, we saved quite a bit through them, my guess is that they will give you a quote before you become a Costco member https://www.costco.com/auto-home-ins...-services.html Here's an article that suggests some auto insurance https://insurify.com/blog/car-insura...grant-drivers/companies that don't have a steep penalty on recent immigrants

Mic1 Aug 22nd 2020 9:10 pm

Re: Car Insurance - might be useful to someone

Okay, back in the game.

Was trying to get 'pre moving' quotes for car insurance before we land in California through the big underwriters. For a general car, we're looking at something like a 2018 Explorer. Quotes had to be gained over the phone as without an SSN, i struggled to get through the online questionnaire. Having read many posts on BE, I knew insurance would be heavy, especially for newcomers but quotes came back from State Farm and Gieco, both circa $3500 for 6 months !!!

Someone sent me the link (in my first post) aimed at new immigrants trying to find good coverage but at reasonable premiums. The online quotes were very different, between $116 and $178 per month for $250k/$500k. The broker/agency is called Insurify, anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 22nd 2020 9:15 pm

Insurify as far as I know is just a comparison type site, you put in your info, and it goes looking for quotes and displays the various quotes from different companies and not an actual insurance provider.

Mic1 Aug 22nd 2020 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12900676)
Insurify as far as I know is just a comparison type site, you put in your info, and it goes looking for quotes and displays the various quotes from different companies and not an actual insurance provider.

Thanks, yes, think you are right actually, defo not the underwriters as it guides you to them.

ddsrph Aug 23rd 2020 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Mic1 (Post 12900558)
Post from another forum that i was discussing car insurance on:

wow! that's crazy. Costco sells car insurance through a partner company, we saved quite a bit through them, my guess is that they will give you a quote before you become a Costco member https://www.costco.com/auto-home-ins...-services.html Here's an article that suggests some auto insurance https://insurify.com/blog/car-insura...grant-drivers/companies that don't have a steep penalty on recent immigrants

I would call an independent agent in the town you are moving to for a quote. Independent agents list themselves as such and deal with many insurance companies. Some big insurers are not widely known because they don’t spend millions on advertising. They reach their customers thru the independent agent and could possibly offer lower rates.

Mic1 Aug 25th 2020 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 12900746)
I would call an independent agent in the town you are moving to for a quote. Independent agents list themselves as such and deal with many insurance companies. Some big insurers are not widely known because they don’t spend millions on advertising. They reach their customers thru the independent agent and could possibly offer lower rates.

I'll be sure to do that. Many thanks

Jaag Oct 19th 2020 6:28 pm

I had success with State Farm local agent, I know some people will find them expensive, I found them to be reasonable, and there's no substitution for going into an office and going through things with somebody in person. I'm in Michigan so things will differ somewhat, but expect $1-2k/year to be a good ballpark, It was useful to bring in my UK policy with No Claims and policy handbook.

When checking lease prices, check and include the insurance, some mid-premium cars lease much better, and have cheaper insurance. And don't believe any of the mainstream Ford/Chevy advertised lease rates, ASA doesn't apply in USA - they seem to be able to advertise $199 leases that when you get a quote turn into $399.
Also, if you have assets worth more than your insured amount (i.e. >$50k) - look into Umbrella policies.

circusplaza Oct 22nd 2020 4:49 am

Here in US everything works negotiating:
Insurance, Car Dealers,... it is like being in the Dubai Zouk or Istambul Grand Bazaar.

I personally hate it, however I have had the car insurance down from $400 to $140/month with a local agent and including the annual renters policy :) and car prices going down $8k-$10k just bargaining between the 2 dealerships on the same city...
As I said, I hate it, but if you do not do it, you will pay way more than the rest of the folks and someone (the salesman) will secure a good bonus.

Mic1 Oct 22nd 2020 1:11 pm

Thanks all, interesting info.
I guess negotiating is now almost part of everyday life.

Pulaski Oct 22nd 2020 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mic1 (Post 12924842)
Thanks all, interesting info.
I guess negotiating is now almost part of everyday life.

When negotiating for insurance, especially for car insurance, be sure to check what coverage amounts you are buying because the legal mimimum insurance amounts in some states may be a lot less than is reasonable/ sensible, and you could find yourself being sued because there is inadequate thirdparty coverage.

mrken30 Oct 22nd 2020 10:46 pm

I have just reduced my insurance by about 30% to 40%, paying around $800 a year full coverage for 2 cars. Unfortunately Allstate only has this option in 3 States, Oregon, New Jersey and Texas. For anyone driving less than 10,000 miles a year I highly recommend looking at milewise.

tht Oct 23rd 2020 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12925065)
I have just reduced my insurance by about 30% to 40%, paying around $800 a year full coverage for 2 cars. Unfortunately Allstate only has this option in 3 States, Oregon, New Jersey and Texas. For anyone driving less than 10,000 miles a year I highly recommend looking at milewise.

is that one of the plans that has you plug in a OBD port device to monitor your driving and mileage ?

mrken30 Oct 23rd 2020 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 12925397)
is that one of the plans that has you plug in a OBD port device to monitor your driving and mileage ?

Yes, this has an OBD device. Milewise just monitors mileage, I had drivewise previously, that just monitored driving habits, braking, speed and time of trip. Milewise also monitors engine diagnostics but that doesn't affect insurance. My mileage has dropped considerably since March when WFH and SFH started. You still get the multi policy discount.