Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in Michigan

Car Insurance in Michigan

Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough
Red face Car Insurance in Michigan

Hi Guys, I am new on here and I apologise if this has been discussed before, I have tried searching but can't find what I am looking for.

I will be moving to Troy, Michigan with my DH and 2 kids in May through DH's company. We have relocation company sorting move out and they are paying for Travel Guard policy to help us get started with credit issues.

My question relates to car insurance. I know Michigan has a 'no fault' policy, but do we need to take collison and comprehensive cover as well??? Does anyone have any idea of costs?

Thanks eveyone
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance in Michigan

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01
My question relates to car insurance. I know Michigan has a 'no fault' policy, but do we need to take collison and comprehensive cover as well?
Do you need to? No. Should you? Yes... unless you're independently wealthy and can afford to repair your car after a wreck with no help from an insurance company. Comprehensive is usually pretty cheap... maybe $100 or so a year. Collision will depend on how much of a deductable you're willing to pay before the insurance kicks in. The higher the deductible, the lower your premiums.

Does anyone have any idea of costs?
That'll depend on the specific car. The newer or more exotic the car, the more it'll cost. SUVs are usually more expensive than passenger cars... a Lexus is usually more expensive than a Hyundai.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Your insurance will generally be cheaper if you bundle your car insurance with other policies, e.g. If you are renting, bundle car and home contents insurance.

We pay about $160 a month for a Chrysler Aspen and a Volvo XC90 - both SUVs - but we also have our buildings and contents insurance with the same insurance company. We also have 3 years good driving records. Your insurance will be higher until you pass your Michigan Driving test.

I don't know if you have thought about what type of vehicle you will be buying, but living very close to where you will be, I would recommend something that has available 4wd. You will need it in the winter.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:48 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I was a michigan licensed insurance agent for around 5 years.

you need comp and collision if

1) your lein holder demands you have it

2) you value your car

The no fault provision of Michigan law basicaly stipulates that any vehicle or person hit by another car bus or truck - that their own, or household vehicle insurance pays for the repairs or medical costs associated.

For example.
You drive down the road and get hit by a drunk driver....
Your own car insurance will pay to fix your car.

I know this sounds crazy, but it kinda works as being hit by uninsured drivers matters not, and cuts down on lawsuits.

I cannot give you an idea of cost. some companies are more expensive as others and kids, car type, location makes a difference in cost.

I used to work for a state farm office in Sterling Hts MI, just down Metro Parkway in Troy. I will PM you her info
Old Feb 12th 2012, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Karen68
Your insurance will generally be cheaper if you bundle your car insurance with other policies, e.g. If you are renting, bundle car and home contents insurance.

We pay about $160 a month for a Chrysler Aspen and a Volvo XC90 - both SUVs - but we also have our buildings and contents insurance with the same insurance company. We also have 3 years good driving records. Your insurance will be higher until you pass your Michigan Driving test.

I don't know if you have thought about what type of vehicle you will be buying, but living very close to where you will be, I would recommend something that has available 4wd. You will need it in the winter.
Thank you, I have starting looking on the internet and have already said I want an SUV as I (we) are not used to driving in ice - although given the freezing rain we had this week I got a taste of what's to come!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01
Thank you, I have starting looking on the internet and have already said I want an SUV as I (we) are not used to driving in ice - although given the freezing rain we had this week I got a taste of what's to come!
SUV won't make balls for different on the driving really, it will help you pull out of a snowy drive easier though.

Decent studs and low to the ground car will make a better difference because 4wd won't make you stop or turn any better.

As for insurance, I reckon rule of thumb is expect $1000 a year per car and be happy if it is less, but not be to sad if it's a little more either if you get new/fancy.

Your real issue would be having no US driving history and no US credit history.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Driving on ice in Troy shouldn't be an issue, they really don't get that much snow in that part of Michigan. Studded tires are not allowed in Michigan so make sure you get a good set of either snow tires or all weather / all terrain.

My first insurance quote for Michigan was $600 for 6 months that was on a 12 yr old Dodge Caravan. If you are resident in Michigan past 90 days you will have to take the driving test (easy peasy) and then your insurance company will do you the great honour of treating you like a probationary 16year old on the roads for the first 6 months or year depending on company.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Um, we're about 10 miles from Troy and the roads are pretty rubbish at the moment. If there's no ice, then I'm not sure what was sending me all over the road this morning Michigan roads are just terrible, full of pot holes and bumps. You can tell when you cross the border into Ohio because you're not getting jiggled about any more.

We pay 255 a month to Geico for my husband and I (passed US tests about 18 months ago, held UK license before that but I don't think that counted for anythhing) for a Silverado truck and a VW CC. This includes comp and collision cover as both are financed so we have to have that cover.

Last edited by NatashaB; Feb 13th 2012 at 2:06 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

lolpeake103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there :0)
Im an expat, lived in Michigan for 20 years now and I work in the Troy area, just wanted to say hello and wish you well on your adventure! :0)
Im a 40 year old woman, been driving in MI for 20 years with a perfect driving record, I drive a GMC Jimmy, 12 years old and pay approximately $105.00 per month for basic insurance, no extras. I have shopped around and found this to be the best policy for me, but im sure for the first 6 months your insurance would be much more, with total coverage being almost double basic PL/PD. I own my vehicle outright so if you have a lien you will have to have full coverage to cover your loan amount in the event of an accident. Multiple car policies will give you a lower rate but you I presume will still pay over the odds until you establish yourselves here...and I would recommend 4wd....the roads can be very slippy in this part of the world!!
Im probably not the most informed person on her but these are my personal experiences, all the best to you and your family, and if you ever need to talk to a Brit then please do not hesitate to contact me, I have found the locals to be very friendly and they love our accent but from personal experience sometimes its just nice to chat to someone who understands where I come from. Again all the best!