Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

car insurance, med payment or pers injury?

car insurance, med payment or pers injury?

Old Mar 10th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default car insurance, med payment or pers injury?

I am with Geico

I have the choice of coverage for medical payments or personal injury protection
but not both.

What do you folks think?

Thank you!
Old Mar 10th 2012, 3:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance, med payment or pers injury?

what state are you in?

In Michigan we only dealt with PIP, and it can be coordinated with your Primary insurance.

Medical payments only payout upto the limit disclosed with the policy.
no matter what your primary insurance does, if you even have primary insurance.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Texas
Old Mar 10th 2012, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Liability covers the people in the other car so you would be covered for that under the "liability insurance". Now if you want to protect the people in your car (except yourself) if the accident is your fault, you need either medical or PIP but neither may be necessary if everybody in your car has medical insurance. Both policies may also cover the people in your car if the other party doesn't pay (non insured) and it was their fault.

Medical and PIP could be written exactly the same way so there is no way of knowing without seeing and understanding the policy. PIP might include damages for pain and suffering or other things but unless you can understand legal mumbo jumbo, you're probably going to have to ask and believe your agent about what it covers.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 10th 2012 at 5:09 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:59 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Liability covers the people in the other car so you would be covered for that under the "liability insurance". Now if you want to protect the people in your car (except yourself) if the accident is [not] your fault, you need either medical or PIP but neither may be necessary if everybody in your car has medical insurance. Both policies may also cover the people in your car if the other party doesn't pay (non insured) and it was their fault.

Medical and PIP could be written exactly the same way so there is no way of knowing without seeing and understanding the policy. PIP might include damages for pain and suffering or other things but unless you can understand legal mumbo jumbo, you're probably going to have to ask and believe your agent about what it covers.
I added in the "not" which you omitted. I'm sure that it was inadvertent -- lawyers make that particular "oops" error from time to time.

p.s. I am assuming that Texas does not have a "guest statute" which used to be quite common.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I added in the "not" which you omitted. I'm sure that it was inadvertent -- lawyers make that particular "oops" error from time to time.

p.s. I am assuming that Texas does not have a "guest statute" which used to be quite common.
I think you misread it. If the accident is not your fault, the other driver's insurance pays for medical bills for you and your passengers. If the accident is your fault, you become liable for your passengers medicals bill so you so you should carry PIP or medical to cover their medical bills.

Now there may be a possibility that if the other driver is at fault and does not have liability insurance to cover your passengers medical bills, PIP or Medical would likely pay for your passengers medical bills in that case if you also have uninsured motorist coverage. From my understanding, uninsured motorist coverage only covers liability up to your liability limits (may be less) and PIP or Medical coverage but that will depend on how the policy is written.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 11th 2012 at 1:34 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:58 am
Banned

sjumani123 is an unknown quantity at this point

A personal injury claim may require a different level of proof and persistence than medical payments. Every state has different laws governing the claims process. If you have purchased <snip> from one state and the accident takes place in another state, call your insurance company to clarify any doubt.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 12th 2012 at 10:09 am. Reason: Nopes. Spam and ads