British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car Insurance in MA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-ma-288565/)

tonrob Mar 7th 2005 7:30 pm

Car Insurance in MA

Hi All. Have read everyone's guidance on foreigner-friendly companies in general but have since discovered that AIG, Farmers, Progressive, Allstate don't provide cover in MA for some reason.

A couple of local brokers have quoted me $1600 for a Dodge Neon which I thought was a little high. Is there anyone out there who has found reasonably-priced auto insurance in MA?

Also, has anyone been asked to rpvde their driving record from the UK. I said I could show them a no-claims proof from the UK but that wasn't sufficient. They wanted to know I had no traffic violations etc. too.

Big D Mar 7th 2005 9:27 pm

Re: Car Insurance in MA

it won't help if Allstate don't insure there - however we went to our broker and they took UK no claims into account!! I was also able to prove 4 months insurance on my company car here in the states - for a Hyundai (cheap second car) went from nearly $1000 to $500 for 6 months. Might be worth seeing a few brokers

joto Mar 8th 2005 10:39 am

We live in MA and we are insured by Commerce Insurance. We got it through AAA. It costs us almost $3000 for the three of us. Our son has only been driving for 2 years, so that is why it is so high. If you don't have any teens that need to be on the policy, you should get it for quite a bit less.

austin_d_powers Mar 8th 2005 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob
Hi All. Have read everyone's guidance on foreigner-friendly companies in general but have since discovered that AIG, Farmers, Progressive, Allstate don't provide cover in MA for some reason.

A couple of local brokers have quoted me $1600 for a Dodge Neon which I thought was a little high. Is there anyone out there who has found reasonably-priced auto insurance in MA?

Also, has anyone been asked to rpvde their driving record from the UK. I said I could show them a no-claims proof from the UK but that wasn't sufficient. They wanted to know I had no traffic violations etc. too.

The big insurance companies don't provide insurance in MA. The price is basically fixed by the state, so not much difference in quotes. I think Commerce is the big insurance company in MA.

englishnurse Mar 8th 2005 4:40 pm

when you pay car insurance in the usa do you pay it monthly like you can here? or do you pay it upfront?

fatbrit Mar 8th 2005 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by englishnurse
when you pay car insurance in the usa do you pay it monthly like you can here? or do you pay it upfront?

You can pay monthly. It'll cost you a fortune as your UK driving history will count for diddly squat, many companies won't even quote for you, and many of those that do will penalise you for not having a credit history. After opening the bank account, your next visit is to DMV -- not having a US licence will also severely limit your choice and increase premiums.

englishnurse Mar 8th 2005 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You can pay monthly. It'll cost you a fortune as your UK driving history will count for diddly squat, many companies won't even quote for you, and many of those that do will penalise you for not having a credit history. After opening the bank account, your next visit is to DMV -- not having a US licence will also severely limit your choice and increase premiums.

yikes! no bank account no credit history no driving licence, its gonna be like being 17 all over again!
thanks
x

austin_d_powers Mar 8th 2005 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob

This ia what is used to calculate insurance in MA.

www.mass.gov/doi/Consumer/WaysToSave_SDIP.html