Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CAR INSURANCE AND KIDS!!!

CAR INSURANCE AND KIDS!!!

Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default CAR INSURANCE AND KIDS!!!

Or maybe the other way around! Kids and car insurance.

We own a monte carlo (chevy i think) dont know the year, a Ford 250 (2002), and a Chevy Dulley 1 ton. Spelt wrong (2008).

Kelly who is 16 passed her test last september. I have been looking around for a car for her and till now have not got one. She passed her test in September and within days crashed my monte carlo into the dulley. So has not driven since because I refuse to let her get behind mine, and wont drive until she has her own. Thus she has no insurance as of yet!

Today OUR insurance company called us and TOLD US.. that as kelly has now got her driving lic. that they will be including her onto our insurance at a cost of 2200 per annum. They were told that she one doesnt have a vehicle and two does not drive a car as she has not got a vehicle and as of yet no insurance. They said that as we have three vehicles that they are lawfully binding to put her on our insurance as she lives in our household.

Now i need to know two things. Must I accept that the insurance company is going to tell me WHO I INSURE. and two are there any insurance companies out there that are cheaper. I am livid. No one is telling me who and what i insure. I will be looking around out of principle now to find a cheaper insurance. I dont see how they can make me insure her if she is not driving? I need input because 1. i am tired and 2. i am out of my depth with this one!!

Last edited by Deedee13; Jan 16th 2009 at 4:19 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Originally Posted by Deedee13

We own a monte carlo (chevy i think) dont know the year, a Ford 250 (2002), and a Chevy Dulley 1 ton. Spelt wrong (2007).

Kelly who is 16 passed her test last september. I have been looking around for a car for her and till now have not got one. She passed her test in September and within days crashed my monte carlo into the dulley. So has not driven since because I refuse to let her get behind mine, and wont drive until she has her own. Thus she has no insurance as of yet!

Today OUR insurance company called us and TOLD US.. that as kelly has now got her driving lic. that they will be including her onto our insurance at a cost of 2200 per annum. They were told that she one doesnt have a vehicle and two does not drive a car as she has not got a vehicle and as of yet no insurance. They said that as we have three vehicles that they are lawfully binding to put her on our insurance as she lives in our household.

Now i need to know two things. Must I accept that the insurance company is going to tell me WHO I INSURE. and two are there any insurance companies out there that are cheaper. I am livid. No one is telling me who and what i insure. I will be looking around out of principle now to find a cheaper insurance. I dont see how they can make me insure her if she is not driving? I need input because 1. i am tired and 2. i am out of my depth with this one!!
Dee I was a Mich licensed insurance agent.

what they are telling you is correct.

however you 'may' be able to ask for an exclusion.
and cite the accident from ther monte carlo into th Duely as the reason for the exclusion

any other questions PM me as I am out on the road and I'll give you my cell
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:09 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAR INSURANCE AND KIDS!!!

We own a monte carlo (chevy i think) dont know the year, a Ford 250 (2002), and a Chevy Dulley 1 ton. Spelt wrong (2007).

If you have to pay for her ins. anyway, let her drive one of the trucks.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

this always happens when i am away. Its 1.21am and i am in bloody Taiwan. Always the shit hits the fan when I want to throttle someone and too far away to do it.

I pay about 2000 now a year for all three vehicles and they want that again in bloody extras for her!!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

If you have to pay for her ins. anyway, let her drive one of the trucks.
or buy a beater.... a Vin number on wheels. insure PLPD state minimums and she can be insured on that.
Do not have her rated on a vehicle that needs comp and collision.

so long as she is rated on A VEHICLE then she can drive any of them.

but as she is an exposure to the cars right now.... the insurance company is on the hook for any losses she has.

but as Dee said.... if she is refusing to let her driver her cars, then try and ask for aneclusion.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

manc ur a darling. I didnt think of that! So get her her own insurance on a piece of crap? what about if i sign the monte carlo over to her and then just get her insured on the one car. I think its because we have so many bloody vehicles.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:41 pm
@matthewb76

well the insurance company doesn't care 'who' owns the car per se....

but its cheaper for her to be rated on a piece of shit with just PLPD than a car with full coverage.

as I sadi try for the exclusion too.

also see if companies give discounts for kids with good grades. I know State Farm does.... I'll be surprised if other major insurers don't as they're all much of a muchness.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to tell her she is insured to drive one of your cars, do you. If she keeps thinking she is not insured and not able to drive, keep her in the dark.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:03 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

well the insurance company doesn't care 'who' owns the car per se....

but its cheaper for her to be rated on a piece of shit with just PLPD than a car with full coverage.

as I sadi try for the exclusion too.

also see if companies give discounts for kids with good grades. I know State Farm does.... I'll be surprised if other major insurers don't as they're all much of a muchness.
What Manc said. We're with State Farm and 19 year old is $75 more a month for us...3rd car, multiple lines, and good grades. This is for a late 97 Toyota Corolla 4-dr, collision only, but with huge medical coverage for her passengers, rental, etc. I did this in case she has someone in car with her andhas an accident. I do not want her financial life ruined if something terrible happens.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

multiple lines? AND HOW MUCH FOR A MEDICAL FOR PASSENGERS. .. 75 i can do... but somehow i know i am not going to get off that cheap.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:23 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

multiple lines? AND HOW MUCH FOR A MEDICAL FOR PASSENGERS. .. 75 i can do... but somehow i know i am not going to get off that cheap.
I have my house insured with them also (multiple lines). Check with your agent and they should help you through it. That is a perk of using a company like State Farm...you get personal service from someone locally (ours even calls us on our birthdays). When I first started with them the agent came to my house to get us set up.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We own a monte carlo (chevy i think) dont know the year, a Ford 250 (2002), and a Chevy Dulley 1 ton. Spelt wrong (2008).

It's correct Dee...all persons in the houseold must be insured for all vehicles in the household. We have 4 cars...when our daughter was away at uni we still had to insure her to drive all 4.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It sucks, but they do it because they are able to drive the car and they might just bugger off one night and drive it without permission sort of thing.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

this always happens when i am away. Its 1.21am and i am in bloody Taiwan. Always the shit hits the fan when I want to throttle someone and too far away to do it.

I pay about 2000 now a year for all three vehicles and they want that again in bloody extras for her!!

You are so funny. We pay over $3,000 a year for two vehicles.

And yes, the insurance company can do what they said.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

for just 2 !!! bloody hell. What have u got?

Ever have that feeling that all u do is give out money! Oh pray tell the next one is coming up to do drivers ed? Same crap I suppose as this scenerio? cant they share an old banger. The trouble is i dont want them in an unsafe car. I suppose i cant have the best of both worlds. More work.. more money .. more work.. more money. I got a lovely lounger for the garden last year.. i suppose i should just it back in the box as i wont have time to lay on it.

My sister said that she should pay it, but the kid is 16 in school still and i think school is tough enough as it is to work too. Then.. its bad enough an adult getting a job how the hell are kids supposed to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.