British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car insurance is 'interesting' in America. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-interesting-america-879245/)

dbr84 Jun 21st 2016 10:20 pm

Car insurance is 'interesting' in America.

So as I understand it, in the US, car insurance is primarily there to protect us being sued for damages. And even then, if the claim exceeds your liability insurance, you're still going to get taken to the cleaners.

Say for example you crash into a football player and break their legs and they are then unable to work. You could potentially be on the hook for the millions you just cost them.

You can then optionally insure your own vehicle against damage from collisions, theft, fire, etc. Doing that seems to double/triple the price.

Not saying this is good/bad/ugly, but it's certainly a difference!

robin1234 Jun 21st 2016 10:58 pm

Re: Car insurance is 'interesting' in America.

Last time I insured a car in the UK was 1990, so I don't remember. Isn't the same liability danger present there? I mean if a high earning footballer ended up in a wheelchair...

dbr84 Jun 21st 2016 11:02 pm

Good question. I don't know. But it's not something I've ever had to (or known anyone to) think about in the UK.

It makes sense, if you're at fault and you ruin someones career, who else should have to pay for it?

mamasue Jun 22nd 2016 2:04 am

I'll try to be selective who I crash into.... definitely avoiding football players from now on!!:eek:

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 22nd 2016 2:28 am

Not sure why you think it is any different.

Asg123 Jun 22nd 2016 5:15 am

If there's a genuine claim against you you should pay, but the problem is that in the US there's a risk that you could lose your shirt as a result of a bogus claim against you. But if it happens it's not as bad as dying in an accident, just insure your car with a reasonable liability figure and don't worry about it.

Ash UK/US Jun 22nd 2016 5:39 am

Then there is Michigan with its 'no fault' insurance... I am not sure how this compares to other states.

yellowroom Jun 22nd 2016 8:50 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11979951)
Last time I insured a car in the UK was 1990, so I don't remember. Isn't the same liability danger present there? I mean if a high earning footballer ended up in a wheelchair...

The UK has the NHS and a stronger welfare system, so the liability does not have to cover potential medical costs. Compensation for loss of earnings is harder to get as the injured party should be able to get sick pay/income support etc (although for how long with the current government in power is anyone's guess). I think also if you get insurance compensation you have to pay back any welfare benefits you would have received.

I would presume UK footballers (or their clubs) have their own insurance in case of numpties crashing into them.

MidAtlantic Jun 22nd 2016 11:10 am

Originally Posted by dbr84 (Post 11979923)
So as I understand it, in the US, car insurance is primarily there to protect us being sued for damages. And even then, if the claim exceeds your liability insurance, you're still going to get taken to the cleaners.

Say for example you crash into a football player and break their legs and they are then unable to work. You could potentially be on the hook for the millions you just cost them.

You can then optionally insure your own vehicle against damage from collisions, theft, fire, etc. Doing that seems to double/triple the price.

Try breaking the legs of a top soccer player in England and see what happens. Insurance in the UK and here in the USA covers a range of risks, which vary somewhat but in essence the result is the same.

mrken30 Jun 22nd 2016 4:16 pm

That is why you buy umbrella insurance. I think the maximum liability you can insure is $5 million . That should cover most of you assets and liabilities.

Bob Jun 22nd 2016 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 11980157)
Then there is Michigan with its 'no fault' insurance... I am not sure how this compares to other states.

MA is another one. It is shit.

Pulaski Jun 22nd 2016 6:23 pm

So as I understand it, in the US, car insurance is primarily there to protect us being sued for damages. ....

Not really. As others have implied or hinted above, insurance is to protect your assets, so you need as much liability coverage as your net worth.

If you're a student, or living hand-to-mouth then basic car insurance is fine, but if you have savings and a nice house in the 'burbs then you should get an $1million umbrella, which is dirt cheap. If you also have a weekend beach house or a country villa then your umbrella should be correspondingly larger.

mrken30 Jun 22nd 2016 6:37 pm

Also if you are earning $100k a year you may want a million to cover lost wages when you get sued and they garnish your wages for the next 10 to 20 years.

katzgar Jun 22nd 2016 7:34 pm

you dont understand it, talk to an insurance agent

mrken30 Jun 22nd 2016 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11980852)
Not really. If you also have a weekend beach house or a country villa then your umbrella should be correspondingly larger.

Not by much, I think I pay an extra $75 per year for each property or thereabouts.

I just realize your post was more about increasing the coverage rather than the extra cost for having additional properties. Still not a lot of money.

Pulaski Jun 22nd 2016 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11980919)
Not by much, I think I pay an extra $75 per year for each property or thereabouts.

I just realize your post was more about increasing the coverage rather than the extra cost for having additional properties. Still not a lot of money.

Your second paragraph is correct, my post was about liability/umbrella coverage and the importance of increasing your liability coverage as you accumulate assets.

And yes, upping your umbrella coverage is very cheap. Given the cost of umbrella coverage I wouldn't worry about being over-insured.