British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car insurance hike in Texas? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-hike-texas-845074/)

petitefrancaise Oct 14th 2014 2:29 pm

Car insurance hike in Texas?

We've just been getting in quotes for car insurance for both me and hubby. Despite being here for a year now, no accidents, both have US driver's licenses and owning our house our car insurance quotes have gone up. (ie Our risk profile is even lower)

We used AIG Inbound last year to get the insurances and they were a LOT cheaper than anywhere else for us being new arrivals in the USA. The quote from them has gone up $200 but quotes from elsewhere are $500-$1500 more.

When we queried this with AIG the answer we got was that Texas Car Insurance rates have gone up for everyone across the whole state due to high claims last year. Is this BS? What are others' experiences?

As it is, AIG are still the cheapest for us, even if we have to pay the next $450 year's membership.

cranston Oct 14th 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Car insurance hike in Texas?

Geico TX were unchanged for me when I renewed in July.

Owen778 Oct 14th 2014 2:54 pm

Have you moved house since you got the previous quotes?

petitefrancaise Oct 14th 2014 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 11438029)
Have you moved house since you got the previous quotes?

yes, but only a few streets to a better neighbourhood than when we rented. Same zipcode.

Bob Oct 14th 2014 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11438036)
yes, but only a few streets to a better neighbourhood than when we rented. Same zipcode.

Thief potential, on/off street parking, covered parking, potential commute distance, stuff like that all affects the rate.

Mr Weeze Oct 15th 2014 1:35 am

Try Amica - got a good deal with them in Texas.

Yorkieabroad Oct 15th 2014 5:11 am

Mine just renewed with 21st century this month at about the same as last year.

House insurance is tricky now though...we had serious trouble getting coverage on a new purchase in Fort Bend county...a lot of companies wouldn't even quote, apparently because their risk profile was too heavily weighted due to the massive expansion here, and the large volume of claims a couple of years back after all the hail damage

TopSec Oct 15th 2014 2:44 pm

Not much change on our insurance this time either. Think your company is telling little porkies :unsure:

We pay a premium though as we are visitors, therefore drive on a UK licence so we get charged more for that.

Kintsukuroi Oct 25th 2014 3:54 am

I'm in Texas and I just renewed my car insurance with Progressive last month and my premium actually went down a little.

thinbrit Oct 25th 2014 10:44 pm

I recommend you pull your credit score and check for changes.
Inexplicably, IMHO, even auto insurance rates are influenced by credit scores (unless you live in Massachusetts, Hawaii, or California).

petitefrancaise Nov 3rd 2014 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by thinbrit (Post 11450562)
I recommend you pull your credit score and check for changes.
Inexplicably, IMHO, even auto insurance rates are influenced by credit scores (unless you live in Massachusetts, Hawaii, or California).

I think you're right and I just realised that when we took out our mortgage, the guy said that we could do with getting another line of credit to get a "perfect" credit score. He said 4 lines of credit was optimal and we still don't have that.

Sally Redux Nov 4th 2014 7:17 am

Ours was put up massively one year in CA (hadn't made any claims or anything). We were told it was purely assessed on zip code and they had had a lot of losses in that zip code. Presumably just trying it on. I changed to GEICO at that point.

hungryhorace Nov 4th 2014 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11438389)
Thief potential, on/off street parking, covered parking, potential commute distance, stuff like that all affects the rate.

I've moved 20 miles away from work (used to be 10 miles), and my auto insurance dropped by just under $100 (!).

Bob Nov 4th 2014 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11461211)
I've moved 20 miles away from work (used to be 10 miles), and my auto insurance dropped by just under $100 (!).

You also moved to a "nicer" town....well your neighbouring town isn't as iffy as it was I should say :o

hungryhorace Nov 4th 2014 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11461311)
You also moved to a "nicer" town....well your neighbouring town isn't as iffy as it was I should say :o

Good point. We were right on the border of Billerica, which is a monumental shit hole.