Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

car insurance help on international licence needed

car insurance help on international licence needed

Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default car insurance help on international licence needed

Hi, we have just moved to the UK from texas, and my husband who is a Kiwi does not have a UK licence. We've bought a 2L engine car, and I have just called direct line for a quote and they cannot insure him until he has held a full UK licence for at least 1 year.

Has anyone else faced this problem and knows of a company (that isnt going to cost the earth) that will insure him. He has to get a large engine car for work purposes so we will be in the same situation for his car in a month or so.

HELP!!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance help on international licence needed

Don't panic. That will just be Direct Line's policy, I would just do a few internet searches. Try Confused.com or comparethemarket.com maybe.

I am afraid without a no claims discount it could be quite expensive though.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Luckily they will accept my no claims bonus from australia, but its the car and his international licence that's the problem.

Just tried Churchill no luck there either!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandabee
Luckily they will accept my no claims bonus from australia, but its the car and his international licence that's the problem.

Just tried Churchill no luck there either!
I just did a hypothetical seach on comparethemarket.com for someone with an overseas license and a 2litre car (I chose a ford at random). Got back about 30 quotes in two minutes, about another 20 companies would not insure. Anyway quicker than calling them one at a time. Morethan and Admiral were the cheapest on my hypothetical search.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I had done that a couple of days ago, but in the current climate I wanted to go with a more established company (well at least one that I recognised from when I was here last). those two didnt come up for me!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

When we first moved here we tried to get auto insurance through Allstate but they wouldn't cover my husband since he did not have a TX license. (He was furious because his UK license is "superior" to a US one )

We were able to get him covered through State Farm though. It's a very well established company and easy to deal with if you ever have a claim.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:16 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amandabee
Thanks, I had done that a couple of days ago, but in the current climate I wanted to go with a more established company (well at least one that I recognised from when I was here last). those two didnt come up for me!
Morethan and Admiral are pretty well established in the UK. They have been around for as lomg as I have been driving anyway (12 years). Tesco was always pretty good to me.. try them too.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rebster
When we first moved here we tried to get auto insurance through Allstate but they wouldn't cover my husband since he did not have a TX license. (He was furious because his UK license is "superior" to a US one )

We were able to get him covered through State Farm though. It's a very well established company and easy to deal with if you ever have a claim.
My apologies. Obviously I misread the post and my comments are worthless.
Sorry. :embaressed_smile:
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:17 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rebster
My apologies. Obviously I misread the post and my comments are worthless.
Sorry. :embaressed_smile:
Aww!! Your comments are never worthless!!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster- took me a while to work out your confusion

Thanks for the replies, I finally managed to get some insurance, apparently my car is a 'high performance car'!!!! its a 7 seater people mover ..... not sure where the classification comes from.