British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   car insurance contract cooling off in CA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-contract-cooling-off-ca-736763/)

laety Oct 25th 2011 5:35 am

car insurance contract cooling off in CA?

Hi
I just purchased a car and the dealership gave me a number to call "on the spot" to insure the car before we could go any further
we did not have insurance before as we did not know what car we would get
It turns out that I received the papers via email and the price is higher than he first said and pages are missing
now I had time to look around I found another provider cheaper
does anyone know if there is a cooling off period for car insurance in California? or Am i obliged to stick with it for a year?
thank you!

Giantaxe Oct 25th 2011 6:18 am

Re: car insurance contract cooling off in CA?

Originally Posted by laety (Post 9693763)
Hi
I just purchased a car and the dealership gave me a number to call "on the spot" to insure the car before we could go any further
It turns out that I received the papers via email and the price is higher than he first said and pages are missing
does anyone know if there is a cooling off period for car insurance in California? or Am i obliged to stick with it for a year?
thank you!

There is no "cooling off period" but assuming you obtain other insurance, you can cancel your existing insurance and receive a pro-rated credit. But make very sure your new insurance is in place before cancelling the old insurance.

laety Oct 25th 2011 2:40 pm

ah so we dont have to stay with them for a year then?

Ray Oct 25th 2011 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by laety (Post 9694614)

lots of car insurance is just for 6 months

Giantaxe Oct 25th 2011 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by laety (Post 9694614)

As I mentioned, if you cancel the policy you should be able to get back the pro-rated amount that represents any time that you've paid for in advance beyond the cancellation date.

laety Oct 25th 2011 4:09 pm

yes i had a look and it does say that, however they want to charge some cancellation fees. I had a closer look at the insurance document and the cover is not very high
ie:
Body injure is 25000/50000
um bi : nothing
pd : 25000
medical payments : nothing
we didnt even cover this yesterday on the phone

do you have those? does the above seem normal for the US??

also he made assumptions like I had my driving licence for 16 years which I havent and a lot of things like that... im not very confortable with this document!

Poppy girl Oct 25th 2011 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by laety (Post 9693763)
Hi
thank you!

Giantaxe is right I have done what you want to do and I am in CA. ;)

Michael Oct 25th 2011 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by laety (Post 9694860)
yes i had a look and it does say that, however they want to charge some cancellation fees. I had a closer look at the insurance document and the cover is not very high
ie:
Body injure is 25000/50000
um bi : nothing
pd : 25000
medical payments : nothing
we didnt even cover this yesterday on the phone

do you have those? does the above seem normal for the US??

also he made assumptions like I had my driving licence for 16 years which I havent and a lot of things like that... im not very confortable with this document!

That looks like the minimum required in California. I would suggest that you get the maximum allowed (usually does not cost much more than the minimum) by your insurance company without having to get quotes from an underwriter which is usually 100k/300k/100k or more depending on the insurance company.