Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance claim

Car insurance claim

Old May 15th 2018, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car insurance claim

So, 16 yr old daughter has managed to bump into the back of a transit van on the way to school. Damage to her old jeep - nothing, not even a scratch. Damage to the back of the van - dents on both rear doors and an estimate to fix of $3,500. I have no idea how much the increase in premium will be, and the insurers nor agent can/are willing to tell me either. Anyone have any similar experiences or ball park estimates for whether it is worth paying directly and not claiming on the insurance? I have heard some horror stories about how much premiums have increased by. Insurers have been notified
Thanks
Old May 15th 2018, 10:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance claim

My bil never went through his auto insurance for claims resulting from his kids' accidents when they were at fault, even though he always found some reason why it wasn't their's but the other drivers.

$3,500, to me, is substantial in terms of cost for dents that might be repairable by removing the door panel and pushing out the dent and if no painting is required.

Yes, I found that there is a substantial increase in premiums when I've had an accident where I was found at fault. Depending on the amount of the claim, it ranged from an increase of 1/4 of the premium to 1/3 and it stays on your record for 5 years until you have a clean driving record again. They can't tell you what the increase will be as the premium is not determined by the agent but only when the policy is up for renewal and the computer weighs the 'facts' and spits out the premium notice. At least this has been my finding.

You can still pay for it out of pocket even though the insurance company has been notified.
Old May 16th 2018, 11:54 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Bearing in mind that it can increase premiums for a substantial period of time, and it will increase by a substantial amount, I would consider paying for the repairs myself if it would not cause a financial disaster for your family.
Old May 16th 2018, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both,
I don't doubt that it will push up premiums, but forking out $3,500 out of pocket right now is a big ask. I have made the owner an offer of what i think a repair might cost and compensation for not having 2 new doors. I am not hopeful that he will accept, but it is worth a try.
Old May 16th 2018, 7:01 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Ask if whether or not reimbursing the insurance company the repair cost will revert the premiums to how they were before, too.
I would be very cautious about additional/future restitution if you pay out of pocket. Frivolous "Ow - my neck..." can easily come to minds in incidents like yours. So if you decide to do out of pocket, ensure you protect yourself and have in writing some sort of final settlement etc and no subsequent claims towards you ..... just my $.10.
Old May 16th 2018, 7:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Ask if whether or not reimbursing the insurance company the repair cost will revert the premiums to how they were before, too.
I would be very cautious about additional/future restitution if you pay out of pocket. Frivolous "Ow - my neck..." can easily come to minds in incidents like yours. So if you decide to do out of pocket, ensure you protect yourself and have in writing some sort of final settlement etc and no subsequent claims towards you ..... just my $.10.
Old May 16th 2018, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks Tarkak9 - yes the thought did cross my mind. The van owner did not go for my offer so it is going to go to the insurers. I wonder if the insurers have any incentive to keep the repair costs down, or whether they will pay up without questioning and then pass the costs on to me through additional premiums
Old May 16th 2018, 8:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I also would not just accept their estimate of $3500 for the repair. I would want a second estimate by someone I have chosen.

Unfortunately accidents happen and because you have a teenage driver, that is why you already pay a higher premium.

GEICO always sent their own inspector to view the damage before authorizing payment of repairs. The insurance company will do all that and you will have nothing further to do with this claim other than paying the increased premium in the future.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:16 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
thanks Tarkak9 - yes the thought did cross my mind. The van owner did not go for my offer so it is going to go to the insurers. I wonder if the insurers have any incentive to keep the repair costs down, or whether they will pay up without questioning and then pass the costs on to me through additional premiums
Naturally they don't want to spend more than they have to; so send their own field adjusters and may 'investigate' the claim, but never be afraid to contest anything, even if it's your insurance company (who, in theory are representing you) but remember, anything you say may be used against you -- at the end of the day, they are trying to assign blame/liability and therefore which side is to pay. A friend of mine reminded me that I am under no obligation to make a statement to an insurance company despite them claiming I am not cooperating - "I will be happy to provide my statement once liability has been determined and assigned." ;-) .... (remember, each state differ)
You often hear, 'preferred shop' - basically insurance companies negotiate with "their" shops' repair rates and parts used inorder to be referred their business. As Rete says, you will have nothing further to do with the claim other than paying the increased premium in the future.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I would let the insurance company handle it and say nothing more to the person she hit. Your insurance company wants to avoid any actions that could lead to injury claims and will gladly pay reasonable damages.
To keep my insurance costs down I never buy full coverage on my vehicles , maximum liability only.
Old May 17th 2018, 1:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

To keep my insurance costs down I never buy full coverage on my vehicles , maximum liability only.
That's all well and good if you're driving something not worth a lot of money, but I don't want my $35k truck hit and not have coverage for the damages, especially if it's an un or under insured motorist.
Old May 17th 2018, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
That's all well and good if you're driving something not worth a lot of money, but I don't want my $35k truck hit and not have coverage for the damages, especially if it's an un or under insured motorist.
I do carry uninsured motorist. You are right it is a risk and you have to decide if it's worth the cost. Until recently I never bought a vehicle over 20 thousand and try hard to not be the at fault driver.