Reload this Page >

Car insurance and car registration on a UK Licence

Car insurance and car registration on a UK Licence

Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

rainbownelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Car insurance and car registration on a UK Licence

Hello everyone!

I have dual nationality - United Kingdom and USA. I've spent all my life in Britain so far, and so my driver's licence is a UK driver's licence.

However...

I am going to be moving to Oregon soon, and I'd like to be able to buy a car. Is it possible for me to get car insurance on my UK licence? And what about registering my car? Do I need to be domiciled in Oregon before I can get that? (That's where it starts to get tricky!) If so, how do I do that?

Thank you so much!

Ellen
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:47 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance and car registration on a UK Licence

need your ssn to get a licence - (will likely have to do a test too). then insurance will be much cheaper and registration possible.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I do have an SSN - I was just wondering if it was possible to register a car/get insurance without being domiciled (that will take a while, and I'd like to drive as soon as possible)
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rainbownelle
Thanks, I do have an SSN - I was just wondering if it was possible to register a car/get insurance without being domiciled (that will take a while, and I'd like to drive as soon as possible)
Cash Money and an address should be enough
but the Insurance will really hurt until you get a local licence
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:57 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
the Insurance will really hurt until you get a local licence
It's still a bit painful even after you get a license.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

How much will it hurt?

So it is possible to register my car in Oregon without being domiciled?
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

How much will it hurt?

Depend on the vehicle and your coverage ...
I can't see why it should be a problem ..personally
I would rent a car for a week or so and take the test
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help

Won't it be rather tricky for me to get domiciled that quickly?

The only problem is that I'm getting long stay travel insurance (as I have preexisting conditions), and I'm assuming that will only work if I'm a "permanent resident" of the UK, i.e. not of Oregon
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:17 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

How much will it hurt?

I had a car registered in NJ for about 5 months before getting an SSN or US license - all I had was an address I could give. Insurance was the killer - NJ was bad for insurance at that time anyway - premium was about $3000 for the year for a 4 year old car. I also had problems at the DMV when trying to register it, but I had called the MVC beforehand and had the information to prove that it was OK to do it.

The only problem I can see is that you are a USC - I was not, and was able to get round not getting a new license within 30 days by virtue of the fact that if you are on a visa/visa waiver valid for less than a year there was no requirement to get a local license at all. You may be required to get a US license within the amount of time defined by the state (varies all over the country) which could mess up your plans.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:27 pm
Ray

Thanks for your help

Won't it be rather tricky for me to get domiciled that quickly?

The only problem is that I'm getting long stay travel insurance (as I have preexisting conditions), and I'm assuming that will only work if I'm a "permanent resident" of the UK, i.e. not of Oregon
Thats called Insurance fraud .....
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

How? I'm only planning on coming to Oregon for a year or so
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:44 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

How? I'm only planning on coming to Oregon for a year or so
I'm sure the insurance company will be ever so nice about paying out and not minding that you're a USC living in the USA and trying to use travel insurance.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't think it was relevant that I was a USC. I'm thinking of it like a Gap Year, and that's the kind of insurance I was going to get. They didn't ask if I was USC. Obviously I'm not going to do it if it's fraud.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:54 pm
Ray

I didn't think it was relevant that I was a USC. I'm thinking of it like a Gap Year, and that's the kind of insurance I was going to get. They didn't ask if I was USC. Obviously I'm not going to do it if it's fraud.
Always best to state the obvious ..I am surprised you got medical for a year though.... from memory.. 6 month was alway the most ..
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, thanks for helping me out - I just didn't realise there was a problem unless I registered as a resident of Oregon.

Darn, now I need to find an American insurer that's friendly with preexisting conditions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.