British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car Insurance - Cancelled by State Farm? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-cancelled-state-farm-868673/)

GeneGenie87 Nov 30th 2015 11:36 pm

Car Insurance - Cancelled by State Farm?

Hi all,

Hoping for a little guidance.

I moved over the US (Delaware state) eight weeks ago. I originally got insurance with State Farm for my my vehicle, I have a UK license and a state learners permit. State Farm originally agreed to give me six months to pass my full license (no problem there), the DMV set a date of January 4th to sit my practical exam.

The issue arrived today, in the form of a letter from State Farm who are now 'cancelling my insurance' this Friday as;

"The risk is ineligible due to not being licensed 3 years. An inexperienced operator cannot be bound Mutual unless there is another application taken at the same time qualifying them for Mutual."

Firstly I don't really understand what being 'bound mutual' is and secondly, has anyone else had issues like this/ knows a company who is ex-pat friendly as I'm clearly not going to have three years experience?

Thanks in advance!

Pulaski Dec 1st 2015 12:12 am

Re: Car Insurance - Cancelled by State Farm?

I think it means you could be added to a policy alongside someone else who meets the requirements, but you cannot be insured on a stand-alone basis.

BTW You need to (use your best efforts to) pass the required tests within the time period specified by the state of Delaware; the period allowed by the insurer is largely irrelevant. If you caused a major accident and/or killed someone the insurers would drop you like a hot brick if the police charged you with driving without a valid license because the specified period for obtaining a license had elapsed.

GeneGenie87 Dec 1st 2015 12:45 am

It seems very odd that they insured me then decided to change their mind. It also only gives me four days to past my test or find alternate coverage.

Thanks for the heads up, I've checked and Delaware state allows me six months as well so they correlate.

Pulaski Dec 1st 2015 12:54 am

Originally Posted by GeneGenie87 (Post 11805545)
It seems very odd that they insured me then decided to change their mind. It also only gives me four days to past my test or find alternate coverage. .....

Like all insurance sold through a broker, it is valid subject to underwriting by the insurer. Unfortunately your policy was found to be outside the terms of the insurers risk profile.

.... Thanks for the heads up, I've checked and Delaware state allows me six months as well so they correlate.
Not sure where you got the "six months" from, because Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles says 60 days:

Drivers From Other Countries.

Non-resident drivers over the age of 16 years who have a valid driver license issued by their home country may operate motor vehicles upon the highways of this State when their license is in their immediate possession. Sixty days after the non-resident driver becomes a Delaware resident, he/she must apply for a Delaware driver license. ....

GeneGenie87 Dec 1st 2015 1:01 am

They went to the underwriter before offering the quote due to the 'unusual' circumstance.

Even worse news then - I was told by the counter staff in the DMV, thanks for the heads up!

Pulaski Dec 1st 2015 1:14 am

Originally Posted by GeneGenie87 (Post 11805558)
..... Even worse news then - I was told by the counter staff in the DMV, thanks for the heads up!

Don't stress too much about that, the issue is very common for new immigrants, so long as you have insurance and can show (carry paperwork) you are using your best endeavors to get your state license ASAP it is highly unlikely that the police would ticket you for not having a DE license (a little) beyond the 60 days - after all it is notoriously hard to prove when the 60 day clock even started! :rolleyes: Just be sure to drive extra cautiously. In fact you're lucky it's 60 days, in some states it's 30 days. .... In California it's 10 days! :blink:

That said, please do not even think of driving without insurance, the US civil legal system can turn an uninsured accident into a world of hurt - upto and including bankruptcy! :eek:

petitefrancaise Dec 1st 2015 1:41 am

This is where the AIG Inbound USA program comes into it's own. They will find car insurance for you and we saved the cost of the program ($450ish) on the first 6 months car insurance for our 2 cars -based on quotes we had at first tried to organise ourselves.

steveq Dec 1st 2015 2:16 am

I just called Geico, and got insurance with no caveats at all. Lizzyq has been on the insurance for a year, and has only just got her Pa. licence.

nick.simpson19 Dec 1st 2015 5:40 pm

30 days in Alabama! It was a lot of FUN! The clock was ticking from the moment we landed!

To Pass our test sort car purchases out etc.

lizzyq Dec 1st 2015 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 11805575)
I just called Geico, and got insurance with no caveats at all. Lizzyq has been on the insurance for a year, and has only just got her Pa. licence.

I wasn't a PA resident for most of that time, it must be said, but was still much relieved not to fail my skills test, that would have been truly embarrassing.

Pulaski Dec 1st 2015 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 11806073)
I ..... was still much relieved not to fail my skills test, that would have been truly embarrassing.

I'd be reasonably certain that if you had any issue taking a US road test, it would be a surfeit of skills, not any deficiency or shortage! :lol:

Guindalf Dec 1st 2015 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11805564)
Don't stress too much about that, the issue is very common for new immigrants, so long as you have insurance and can show (carry paperwork) you are using your best endeavors to get your state license ASAP it is highly unlikely that the police would ticket you for not having a DE license (a little) beyond the 60 days - after all it is notoriously hard to prove when the 60 day clock even started! :rolleyes: Just be sure to drive extra cautiously. In fact you're lucky it's 60 days, in some states it's 30 days. .... In California it's 10 days! :blink:

That said, please do not even think of driving without insurance, the US civil legal system can turn an uninsured accident into a world of hurt - upto and including bankruptcy! :eek:

...or death, whichever comes first!

Also, less importantly, the penalty for no insurance is usually very high - up to and including seizure of the vehicle at the side of the road.

steveq Dec 1st 2015 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 11806180)
...or death, whichever comes first!

Also, less importantly, the penalty for no insurance is usually very high - up to and including seizure of the vehicle at the side of the road.

That happens in the UK now too, or having no MOT

kodokan Dec 2nd 2015 2:18 am

Originally Posted by GeneGenie87 (Post 11805514)

The issue arrived today, in the form of a letter from State Farm who are now 'cancelling my insurance' this Friday as;

"The risk is ineligible due to not being licensed 3 years. An inexperienced operator cannot be bound Mutual unless there is another application taken at the same time qualifying them for Mutual."

Firstly I don't really understand what being 'bound mutual' is

State Farm offer insurance through two separate underwriting companies, one called Fire and Casualty, and the other called Mutual. Mutual is a lower risk pool with lower rates; we were automatically switched to Mutual after having car policies/ licenses for 3 years, and our premiums dropped by many hundreds.

Perhaps ask if you can be covered under their high risk Fire and Casualty arm until you get your license (and can switch then elsewhere, as it'll be expensive). They covered me under it in Arizona when we arrived, but it was only for a few weeks as the mandate for getting your license in AZ is 'immediately'.

mrken30 Dec 2nd 2015 8:07 pm

American Family gave me quote for half the cost of others when I moved here 7 years ago. It may be different now, but they took my UK driving history into account.