British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car insurance on a British license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-british-license-881868/)

AndyEODV8 Aug 16th 2016 12:00 am

Car insurance on a British license

As any one gotten car insurance whilst still on their British driving license still and if so what companies did you use?

Thanks.

boltonreddave Aug 16th 2016 1:00 am

Re: Car insurance on a British license

Originally Posted by AndyEODV8 (Post 12027424)
As any one gotten car insurance whilst still on their British driving license still and if so what companies did you use?

Thanks.

Yes, Progressive

Pulaski Aug 16th 2016 1:04 am

Originally Posted by AndyEODV8 (Post 12027424)
As any one gotten car insurance whilst still on their British driving license still and if so what companies did you use? ....

You realize, I presume, that once you meet the California DMV definition of "resident" (which is triggered by any one of a number of things such as starting a job, renting/buying a home, enrolling your children in school, etc.) you only have ten days to get a California drivers license anyway? :unsure:

The ten days is, of course, unrealistic given that you'll need to do a road test, but you should use your best efforts to get a CA license ASAP.

kodokan Aug 16th 2016 3:36 am

State Farm let me use my British license for around a month as a courtesy before they started getting twitchy. But yeah, what Pulaski said.

Marc_ely Aug 16th 2016 5:38 am

Geico. They gave me a gentle reminder after 6 months that I should get a license. Which I did. But they'd already given me all the discounts they could based on my age and UK record.

dj6372 Aug 16th 2016 9:47 am

Yup State Farm, but as kodokan said they very much want a US license, and as Pulaski said you need to make an 'attempt' at getting a CA license sharpish, they had a 2 month backlog when I applied.

MidAtlantic Aug 16th 2016 11:28 am

State Farm for me.

BritishGuy36 Aug 16th 2016 2:07 pm

I got my Ohio license ASAP since it made the insurance cheaper.

Started with Progressive and I am still with them today 8 years later.

AndyEODV8 Aug 16th 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks guys. I very much plan on getting my license and test booked by the end of the month.
I just didn't want to be driving around without insurance or illegally. Not a great start to living in the country if I did that.
Thanks I will be calling them guys today. Thanks again.