British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car insurance after returning home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-after-returning-home-799040/)

tom_123 Jun 4th 2013 7:01 am

Car insurance after returning home

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can recommend insurance companies for new UK residents.

I have spent the last 6 years abroad and will be shortly be returning home. I will need to get a car soon after my return but am having a hard time finding insurance companies that will insure me.

The ones I have looked require being a resident for 1/3/5 years.

I've not owned a car during my time abroad so have no no claims bonus, but I did drive in the UK prior to moving abroad.

Thanks in advance

Tom

lf1 Jun 4th 2013 7:21 am

Re: Car insurance after returning home

My circumstances were a bit different to yours, but I found National Farmers Mutual (NFU) very good to deal with and their price was much better than what I was quoted on the Internet. I was able to speak with a representative, explain my situation and they accepted my Cdn driving record and claims history, which I realise you don't have. They were also one of the few insurers who would accept me without a UK Licence, which may not be a concern for you.

Good luck with your move.:)

quoll Jun 4th 2013 2:34 pm

I found the Co-op to be quite good - actually talking with a rep rather than just going through a wizard questionnaire. I was disappointed that none of them wanted to consider my Aus NCB (although, granted I didnt have a letter in hand but I could have got one if they had requested it). Aviva advertised great things but I was disappointed by them

Paws3 Jun 4th 2013 4:11 pm

I agree re NFU, they took my Canadian NCB and were very nice and helpful (especially when an idiot ran into the back of me). We also get 10% off with a second car.

RJB123 Jun 4th 2013 5:30 pm

I am in a similar situation to you and will be returning to the UK at the end of this month. As a result of advice on here I have been in contact with NFU over the past few days and they have confirmed that they are willing to insure me and they will also accept my Bahrain no claims discount. Hopefully they will also cover you.

kampaicharger Jun 5th 2013 3:31 am

Initially I went directly to the insurance companies and got quotes between 1400 and 9500 pounds for the same car.

I then contacted an insurance broker and with proof of prior insurance/no claims bonus got it down to 995 pounds.

RJB123 Jun 5th 2013 4:38 am

Originally Posted by kampaicharger (Post 10741393)
Initially I went directly to the insurance companies and got quotes between 1400 and 9500 pounds for the same car.

I then contacted an insurance broker and with proof of prior insurance/no claims bonus got it down to 995 pounds.

Still sounds like a lot of money but I am not up to date with UK prices. I am looking at a 2litre estate, possibly Passat or Mondeo. Anyone any idea what I should expect to pay on this as someone in their 50's with a clean record and 4 years of no claims discount?

Tockalosh Jun 5th 2013 7:45 am

Originally Posted by RJB123 (Post 10741441)
Still sounds like a lot of money but I am not up to date with UK prices. I am looking at a 2litre estate, possibly Passat or Mondeo. Anyone any idea what I should expect to pay on this as someone in their 50's with a clean record and 4 years of no claims discount?

Around 500 gbp fully comprehensive. 48year old 2 liter mondeo diesel station wagon 10000 miles per year, wife and mother in law named drivers, parked on the road, no additional alarms

RJB123 Jun 5th 2013 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 10741571)
Around 500 gbp fully comprehensive. 48year old 2 liter mondeo diesel station wagon 10000 miles per year, wife and mother in law named drivers, parked on the road, no additional alarms

Thanks. Just the answer I was looking for. Much appreciated.

windsong Jun 6th 2013 11:01 am

Perhaps I am fortunate that my significant other will add me to his car insurance, although I expect the rate to rise significantly because I will be newly in the UK, even though I drove there years ago.