British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-insurance-920328/)

Skream Dec 20th 2018 3:12 pm

Car Insurance

Hello All,

I have recently relocated from the UK to the US, starting to look around at car insurance...

Are there any companies that I can use any Uk details? that I have had a UK license for 10 years and possibly some no claims?

Companies and tips appreciated.

I also understand credit rating helps?

Thanks

dj6372 Dec 20th 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Car Insurance

I use Allstate, they took my no claims into consideration, and I believe Geico do as well, be prepared for a heart failure...............................car insurance is expensive!

BenK91 Dec 20th 2018 3:55 pm

I tried to get my UK history applied with Geico, I believe they gave me a small discount.

Recently switched to American Family as it was significantly cheaper when we bundled home and auto etc.

Just shop around, a broker may also be useful.

dj6372 Dec 20th 2018 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12611366)
I tried to get my UK history applied with Geico, I believe they gave me a small discount.

Recently switched to American Family as it was significantly cheaper when we bundled home and auto etc.

Just shop around, a broker may also be useful.

Yeah we do home and car together for a discount.

BenK91 Dec 20th 2018 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by dj6372 (Post 12611368)
Yeah we do home and car together for a discount.

Yeah it was significantly cheaper!

We insure a 2018 Chevy truck and a 2012 Mini and I think we're now saving about $110 a month. Still bloody expensive though!

Jack8602 Dec 20th 2018 5:01 pm

I close on my house next week, so recently got a quote from my current insurer, Geico - they're dropping our rate by $100 a month just for moving from an apartment to a house :O

Ecto17 Dec 22nd 2018 9:55 am

Not sure whereabouts you are but if you happen to be in NJ, try NJM if your company is signed up, definitely the best and cheapest for the first year. Failing that we also compared prices via a broker who got close pricewise.
it is horribly expensive here thou!!!

petitefrancaise Dec 22nd 2018 3:34 pm

try using http://www.travelguardworldwide.com/...r-brochure.pdf
they will use your UK car history to give you a quote. The cost of membership for this program is $450 for the year, but most people save this on the first 6 month's car insurance especially if you've got 2 cars to insure. AIG will also connect you to banks that will give you a non-secured credit card and it you want it, places where you can get a mortgage.
It's a concierge service and you can ask for help with just about anything

Skream Jan 18th 2019 11:32 pm

Just to update here I went with Electric insurance and they took my whole UK Drivers license and I got fully comp for 1750$ a year on a BMW 4 series.. best around!

TheKingOfHearts Jan 19th 2019 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Skream (Post 12623841)
Just to update here I went with Electric insurance and they took my whole UK Drivers license and I got fully comp for 1750$ a year on a BMW 4 series.. best around!

I've recommended Electric Insurance before; I went with them for my first year. Still stupid expensive but a lot less than the others, the following year with Geico HALVED once I was married.

If you work for GE or one of their affiliates the employee discounts are pretty solid too.

Mclearg Jan 24th 2019 11:37 am

Very interested in this as we are relocating to Texas in March. I have 3 points (CD30) on my license, my wife's license is clean.

I have two UK insurance policies both with 10+ years NCD and my wife has 6yrs NCD.

What do i use in the US as regards driving history? I don't know if i'll have the paper copy as these were obsoleted in the UK in favour for an online report

Does the printed renewal document from the UK insurer count for NCD proof?

I know it's going to be a shock but what, apart from cost of the purchase, influences the cost of the insurance? Engine size? Power output? Emissions? No. of Doors?
Many Thanks in advance.
Gordon

Giantaxe Jan 25th 2019 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mclearg (Post 12626557)
I know it's going to be a shock but what, apart from cost of the purchase, influences the cost of the insurance? Engine size? Power output? Emissions? No. of Doors?
Many Thanks in advance.
Gordon

What they can legally rate on will be state specific, but typically the biggest factors are past driving record, age, location, type of car and annual mileage. Really, the biggest costs to insurers are from liability. You can choose to skimp on this as state legal minimums tend to be very low, but if you have assets, this can be a very expensive mistake. That's why I pay for $500k of liability coverage, and have umbrella insurance as well. This is an extremely litigious country.

Winston_the_Great_Dane Jan 25th 2019 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12627236)
What they can legally rate on will be state specific, but typically the biggest factors are past driving record, age, location, type of car and annual mileage. Really, the biggest costs to insurers are from liability. You can choose to skimp on this as state legal minimums tend to be very low, but if you have assets, this can be a very expensive mistake. That's why I pay for $500k of liability coverage, and have umbrella insurance as well. This is an extremely litigious country.

Totally agree with the above. The extra cost is usually minimal to get higher coverage and make sure you request a $1m umbrella policy as a minimum. We're used to having an almost unlimited amount of coverage in the UK with fully comprehensive, but it's fragmented in the USA - kind of pick and mix.

Rete Jan 25th 2019 8:34 pm

I've found in my 50 years of driving and having auto insurance that it is the make of vehicle, # of cylinders, location of where vehicle is parked overnight and if it is street parked, open parked in a lot or garaged, statistics on vehicle break-ends in that area, # of miles driven annually, as well if you drive to the auto to and from work, where it is parked at work, add on features of the vehicle, the # and age of drivers, i.e. spouse, teenagers, etc., your credit rating and driver's record.

rbackhouse Jan 27th 2019 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12627321)
# of cylinders

Not necessarily . I currently have a 4 cylinder that is a 1/3 more than my V8 and about double my V6