Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance

Car Insurance

Old Nov 24th 2017, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Noodler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance

Just sorted a lease with BMW through their international exec leasing program. It was really easy and didn’t have to provide much paperwork.

I need to sort out car insurance but I don’t understand all the different options and coverage levels. What is the right level of cover etc?
Old Nov 24th 2017, 12:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance

You should discuss that with your broker - there are state minimum levels of coverage, but they are often scarily low - such as $25,000 for third party injury, and zero for third party property damage.

A good rule of thumb is that overall liability insurance should cover your net worth, i.e. what you could be sued for. That said, if you just ask a broker for "car insurance", they will almost certainly be offering you a fairly decent policy - the state minimum policies are typically for students, drunks, and rednecks!

If you are worth more than the liability coverage on a "typical" car insurance policy you should look into whether you are eligible to buy a liability umbrella policy - they are typically a cheap add-on to a home insurance policy.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noodler
Just sorted a lease with BMW through their international exec leasing program. It was really easy and didn’t have to provide much paperwork.

I need to sort out car insurance but I don’t understand all the different options and coverage levels. What is the right level of cover etc?
I can't tell you much about insurance, but could you fill me in on this 'exec leasing program'? I haven't heard of BMW doing such a thing, only VW, Audi, Ford. I am a big BMW fan so would be interested in the options.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

If you go in and ask them they will give you a letter that shows you what you need.

I provided passport, visa, i94 print out from PC, mortgage details from UK and a letter of employment.

BMW have their own finance underwritten by someone and they can use UK credit history.

Got a 30 month lease with nothing down on a loaded BMW X5 3.5i

Originally Posted by petepete99
I can't tell you much about insurance, but could you fill me in on this 'exec leasing program'? I haven't heard of BMW doing such a thing, only VW, Audi, Ford. I am a big BMW fan so would be interested in the options.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Alsonsorted my Insurance though Geico and they took my UK driving in to consideration.

Went on the DVLA site and printed off driver record and it saved me $50 a month.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

phish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noodler
If you go in and ask them they will give you a letter that shows you what you need.

I provided passport, visa, i94 print out from PC, mortgage details from UK and a letter of employment.

BMW have their own finance underwritten by someone and they can use UK credit history.

Got a 30 month lease with nothing down on a loaded BMW X5 3.5i
How much did that end up costing p/m?
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Fully loaded on 30 months with 12k a year and no deposit was. $1.1k a month.

Originally Posted by phish
How much did that end up costing p/m?
Old Dec 31st 2017, 4:13 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Progressive will insure you if you have a foreign driver history. And they don't up their price like Geico does when they do it.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Liberty Mutual are BMW preferred, their rates are much lower than our previous insurers for both DH Beemer and my Audi
Old Dec 31st 2017, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
Liberty Mutual are BMW preferred, their rates are much lower than our previous insurers for both DH Beemer and my Audi
And liberty mutual will honor UK driving history. Was cheapest by far for me and my spouse when I moved here.

Since then we have gone elsewhere due to a home insurance bundle.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 5:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
Whoa ... Jan, it is so nice to see you here. You've been missing for a long time. Hope all is well. Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31st 2017, 5:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Progressive will insure you if you have a foreign driver history. And they don't up their price like Geico does when they do it.
GEICO didn't up my insurance premiums with my husband added to the policy with only his Canadian license.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 5:09 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by tom169
And liberty mutual will honor UK driving history. Was cheapest by far for me and my spouse when I moved here.

We did, as well. Left GEICO after being an insured member for 40+ years to Nationwide when we added a policy for home insurance and another for apartment insurance. GEICO doesn't do apartment insurance in metropolitan NYC area.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Ed2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169

Hi Tom,

How did you request the quote from Liberty? Do you do it online or call them saying that you moved and have your proof of no claims document from the UK?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

I initially went with Progressive but a few things to note when leasing is that there are minimum levels of coverage required by both the leasing/finance company and the state - and they may not be the same. Also, you usually need to add the leasing/finance co as an interested party.

I was happy enough with Progressive although I never did get them to take my UK history into account. After a year, I had to call them and have them run a credit check as they usually only do that every two years (so they still assumed I had no credit history after 1yr). Unfortunately 18months of clean driving history, prices went up without any real explanation (they said the cost of doing business went up in my state) and so I changed to Geico.

Last edited by mproudfoot; Feb 15th 2018 at 5:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.