Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance 18 months in...

Car Insurance 18 months in...

Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:29 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance 18 months in...

So I decided to bite the bullet and call around for quotes. Only slightly more depressing a job than shopping for the cars in the first place.

First company was of the opinion that the insurance we originally bought (and costs $1277 for 6 months) is crap. They come out slightly cheaper ($1127 - saving $150) but offering us much better coverage.

Then I went online to progressive (cos I like the girl in the advert) - they are offering an even better coverage for $901 -saving $376.

Has anyone else purchased online - I used to do it in the UK but am wary over here for no real reason other than I am waiting for the catch ?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car Insurance 18 months in...

Keep away from (ALL STATE) there shite

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651748

Funny you should say.. waiting for the catch....welcome to America ....the land where they screw ya ass always..
Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:38 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

We are with Progressive - we do it all online, they are super easy to work with and we have always been very happy with the service and the rates
Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Burn1911
We are with Progressive - we do it all online, they are super easy to work with and we have always been very happy with the service and the rates
make sure your covered real good in case of a accident....and any medical bills..look at the small print...
Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the little green British lizard. Excellent rates.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:44 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom60
I'm with the little green British lizard. Excellent rates.
The cockney lizard turned me down 18 months ago so I'm not phoning him on principal - hubby will have to do that one
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
The cockney lizard turned me down 18 months ago so I'm not phoning him on principal - hubby will have to do that one
Why? It's so easy a cave man can do it.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:01 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by Tom60
Why? It's so easy a cave man can do it.
That's exactly why he should do it - I am far too intelligent and shouldn't be wasting my time on such mundane tasks
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

So I decided to bite the bullet and call around for quotes. Only slightly more depressing a job than shopping for the cars in the first place.
Last time I renewed I asked Progressive to re-evaluate my credit history. Turns out that since I had 12 months of good credit behind me this lowered the premium by more than 20%.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:18 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thegeneral.com/ I have given this link to a few folk, and its worked out the cheapest worth a try, and yes I did use them once, and had no problems.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

tevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nice

yeah, I like their ad's too with the ginger. Great customer service, v. easy to deal with. btw, Travelers are horrible.

Driving forever but not over here etc. Pay $194\mth which is a lot compared to back home ($55 AUS\mth) but ok. Safeauto.com are cheaper, $110\mth, although the coverage seems to be the minimum to put your car on the road.

I doubt my premiums will decrease after 6, 12 months. I live in SC where it's impossible to get a drivers licence (or even an ID card!), they just don't issue them. Also it's only valid as long as your visa entry stamp ie. less than 6 months.

I might end up going to Safeauto, the difference of $1000\yr extra is a lot.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:18 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tevez
yeah, I like their ad's too with the ginger. Great customer service, v. easy to deal with. btw, Travelers are horrible.

Driving forever but not over here etc. Pay $194\mth which is a lot compared to back home ($55 AUS\mth) but ok. Safeauto.com are cheaper, $110\mth, although the coverage seems to be the minimum to put your car on the road.

I doubt my premiums will decrease after 6, 12 months. I live in SC where it's impossible to get a drivers licence (or even an ID card!), they just don't issue them. Also it's only valid as long as your visa entry stamp ie. less than 6 months.

I might end up going to Safeauto, the difference of $1000\yr extra is a lot.

Who are you quoting please!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:39 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone else purchased online - I used to do it in the UK but am wary over here for no real reason other than I am waiting for the catch ?
I purchased Progressive online and it was very easy.

We ended up not buying our car till a day after we thought, so I had started the insurance too early. I emailed them and they were happy to adjust the time period.

When DH got his US licence I was able to amend the policy online, and they calculated the refund that we were due, sent us paperwork confirming the change, and the refund showed up on my credit card within a week.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

First company was of the opinion that the insurance we originally bought (and costs $1277 for 6 months) is crap. They come out slightly cheaper ($1127 - saving $150) but offering us much better coverage.

Then I went online to progressive (cos I like the girl in the advert) - they are offering an even better coverage for $901 -saving $376.

I was with Esurance.com, and they were pretty competitive.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:26 pm
Chocoholic !

Went with Progressive in the end - the only thing niggling me is the question - have you had insurance consecutively for the last 3 years?. Well yes we have - 18 months in the USA and prior to that 19 years in the UK since I passed my test. They asked us to provide proof of prior insurance so we have sent them the 'binder' that our insurance agent sent us for our last period of insurance (Progressive didn't ask for 3 years proof!) So I am wondering whether they will come back once they realise we haven't been here for 3 years and try to charge us more. Watch this space... If they don't we will have saved $375 for 6 months