Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

car insurance

car insurance

Old Jul 9th 2003, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

lymy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car insurance

Hi! I'm moving to Indiana for 2 years and would be requiring the use of a car over there. Could anyone advise on whether it is possible to get car insurance without having to pay a sky-high premium? All the insurance companies I've contacted tend to charge higher premiums for people who have no US driving history. Moreover, having a British driving licence for 7 years and having no insurance claims doesn't seem to count for much.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

London2Atlanta is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same position as you so do let me know if you find out any info!
Old Jul 9th 2003, 2:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance

Originally posted by lymy
Hi! I'm moving to Indiana for 2 years and would be requiring the use of a car over there. Could anyone advise on whether it is possible to get car insurance without having to pay a sky-high premium? All the insurance companies I've contacted tend to charge higher premiums for people who have no US driving history. Moreover, having a British driving licence for 7 years and having no insurance claims doesn't seem to count for much.
I am in the same position as you except I expect to live in the US indefinitely...

Here are some pointers-

You do not have a credit history in the US. Your credit history does not count at all in the UK. It is not recognized at all.

As someone with no credit history, it will be difficult and sometimes impossible to get forms of credit, e.g. credit card, some loans, etc.

Every time you get a quote from a car insurance company, your developing credit history will take a hit and the enquirer's name (the insurance company) will appear on subsequent credit reports that are pulled up.

Despite some insurance companies having nationwide offices/agents, there are state differences and one insurance provider may be willing to insure you and in the neighboring state, they will not.

Suggestion- just before you leave the UK, get a copy of your British credit report from Experian or Equifax. Both credit bureaux are the major credit bureaux in the US and you may be able make some leeway if you thrust your UK up-to-date credit report in someone's face. This effort may just work (let us know if it does).

NC Penguin
Old Jul 9th 2003, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

London2Atlanta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hmmm

I don't think they'd want to see MY credit history!!!
Old Jul 9th 2003, 4:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot speak for Indiana, but here in Florida for a UK driving licence holder with no credit history expect to pay $1400-$2000. for 6 months
A lot of Insurance companies are checking credit record and load you if you have bad or no credit. they assume this must mean you are a bad risk... a few companies will claim they will take your UK driving record into account, they don't.. Watch out for hidden extras they like to add to policies here..Basic Insurance is called BI & PD in Indiana (Bodily injury liability and Physical Damage) Higher deductable will save you money...and go for the state minimum level of cover which is 25/50/10 in Indiana...

American drivers have the same problem in the UK..

Last edited by ray6; Jul 10th 2003 at 1:44 am.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:28 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Try Liberty Mutual. They took my UK driving history into account. Also check with major international institutions like MBNA, Amex, Citibank to see if you can open an international account/get a US card based on your UK card performance.

Some like Amex would insist you close down the UK card account before they give you the US card.

Sam.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 6:46 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

for car insurance - try this broker

585 389 0580 - they work with safeco

they quoted me $1150 for 6 months on a 1999 3 litre honda accord coupe

i'm a guy in my mid-twenties - not exactly a low risk
Old Jul 10th 2003, 6:54 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

www.geico.com
all they wanted to see was a copy of my us driving license, which I
had recently obtained. Self and spouse $600 per 6 months on a
big old Dodge Intrepid.
Lot's of my US colleagues have said they don't rate Geico, but you have to speak as you find.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who replied! This is great help!
Old Jul 15th 2003, 6:44 am
Just Joined

paulanddeb is an unknown quantity at this point

As a previous reply stated try Liberty Mutual. Since 9/11 it has become more difficult with many companies declining UK motorists. Bring current UK policy, take US test and get license ASAP. We were quoted $1,600 for 6 months by several companies. Liberty Mutual charge us $900 for the year for a Lincoln LS sport, 3.9 v8 e.t.c. and $800/year for a Dodge Truck.
This is Florida by the way. Good luck.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

sarahw97 is an unknown quantity at this point

We went thru this nightmare about 2 yrs back. Eventually found an insurance broker who could get his head around the fact that we had no credit or insurance history in the USA, despite having clean records in UK and Australia for over 10 years each.

He got us a policy through OneBeacon (they used to be called something else), believe it was underwritten by a UK insurance company, cant remember how it all worked now. But the main thing was that they took account of our overseas driving history, and the premiums were about half of all the competitors, including geico, etc etc. We had to get a US drivers licence, but they even insured us under our overseas licences pending this (the waiting period is a couple of months for testing).

After we had been with OneBeacon for 12 months, we were able to shop around different insurers for a better deal, we're now with Chubb.

My broker is Frank Auriamma at Shoff Darby in Norwalk, Connecticut. He's very helpful, you may want to try calling him.
http://www.shoffdarby.com/

good luck

Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the help!!! I've emailed some insurance companies/brokers and these are the ones that might be able to help us lot with British licences:
1. www.plib.com
2. geico
3. Coaches/Omni (www.omniins.com)

Anyone heard of these or used them before?
Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the help!!! I've emailed some insurance companies/brokers and these are the ones that might be able to help us lot with British licences:
1. www.plib.com
2. geico
3. Coaches/Omni (www.omniins.com)

Anyone heard of these or used them before?
If at all possible, I would speak to any friends, family or coworkers in your state that you know who can give you firsthand impressions of these insurance companies/brokers.

In my case, I didn't buy auto insurance with Geico (who gave the cheapest quote) because I'd read accounts that Geico let you down once you have an accident. i.e. they're slow to sort out the claim and you have to chase them so much.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
If at all possible, I would speak to any friends, family or coworkers in your state that you know who can give you firsthand impressions of these insurance companies/brokers.

In my case, I didn't buy auto insurance with Geico (who gave the cheapest quote) because I'd read accounts that Geico let you down once you have an accident. i.e. they're slow to sort out the claim and you have to chase them so much.
NC Penguin
Takes all sorts... My wife who is an Insurance agent, insist we only use Geico.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Takes all sorts... My wife who is an Insurance agent, insist we only use Geico.
It's been Geico for me, for many years. Found them to be real nice people to deal with. Plus CS 24 hours per day.

Reg. Frank R.