British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car Inspection question? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-inspection-question-525703/)

nder38 Mar 31st 2008 9:20 am

Car Inspection question?

I'm going to the place in Westfield but I wanted to know if I have to get out of the car at all? How long does the actual inspection take?
I never had to do this before and I have the baby with me so I want to know what to anticipate.

Thanks in advance

Jo1973 Mar 31st 2008 11:55 am

Re: Car Inspection question?

I took my car in a few years ago and I think it took about 30 mins. I didn't wait in the car I just waited in the office so that I could pay them big bucks like $25.00 lol.

TruBrit Mar 31st 2008 12:02 pm

yep, depending how busy the garage is the inspection itself takes about 30 mins. i have always got out the car and had a coffee while they did it.

Folinskyinla Mar 31st 2008 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by nder38 (Post 6135781)
I'm going to the place in Westfield but I wanted to know if I have to get out of the car at all? How long does the actual inspection take?
I never had to do this before and I have the baby with me so I want to know what to anticipate.

Thanks in advance

Hi:

It would really help if you mentioned what STATE you are in. Here in California, we just have a bi-annual emissions test & inspection after a car is 4 years old. It takes about 15 minutes and yes, you have to get out of the car -- but there will usually be a waiting area. [Often like a car wash].

Other states have much more thorough safety inspections. Some states have no inspections.

So, WHERE is your car registered.

lisa67 Mar 31st 2008 1:35 pm

Here in TX it took just under 1 hour. Sat and drank coffee in the sunshine.:)

Dan B Mar 31st 2008 1:59 pm

In NY it takes 15 minutes and the state regulates the cost to $25. If the car is older than 1996, it will have to pass a computerized emissions test that the DMV will log in Albany. If you have a check engine light on it will automatically fail. There are ways to clear the CEL for free ;)

Ray Mar 31st 2008 3:07 pm

How quaint ..they still do that in some places ...

fatbrit Mar 31st 2008 3:14 pm

Google references 10 states with a place called Westfield.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Westfield

basementwaj Mar 31st 2008 3:32 pm

my County in TN requires an emissions test, 10 minutes tops

Bob Mar 31st 2008 4:30 pm

What state?

Up in Maine, it's $12.50 takes two minutes, headlights on, blinkers on, wipers on and check for any major rust holes.

In Mass, it's $30, one year is emissions, the next body work and electrics, the first takes a couple of mins, they plug the car in and read the computer, the second, they do the same, but also check for rust etc, takes a couple more minutes.

Ray Mar 31st 2008 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6137517)
What state?

Up in Maine, it's $12.50 takes two minutes, headlights on, blinkers on, wipers on and check for any major rust holes.

In Mass, it's $30, one year is emissions, the next body work and electrics, the first takes a couple of mins, they plug the car in and read the computer, the second, they do the same, but also check for rust etc, takes a couple more minutes.

Its all those crappy rusty Saabs floating around ...

Giantaxe Mar 31st 2008 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6136769)
Hi:

It would really help if you mentioned what STATE you are in. Here in California, we just have a bi-annual emissions test & inspection after a car is 4 years old. It takes about 15 minutes and yes, you have to get out of the car -- but there will usually be a waiting area. [Often like a car wash].

Other states have much more thorough safety inspections. Some states have no inspections.

So, WHERE is your car registered.

Personally I think the moderators should close threads like this that don't specify a state. They're essentially a waste of time for everyone without that info.

meauxna Mar 31st 2008 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 6138372)
Personally I think the moderators should close threads like this that don't specify a state. They're essentially a waste of time for everyone without that info.

I wonder about this myself, but it doesn't seem to stop people from replying, even when they can't give a relevant reply. :)

Elvira Mar 31st 2008 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6138417)
I wonder about this myself, but it doesn't seem to stop people from replying, even when they can't give a relevant reply. :)

relevant is in the eye of the beholder :p

Giantaxe Mar 31st 2008 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6138417)

True :)

Perhaps there should be some kind of sticky with posting guidelines?