British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car hire, for the record (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-hire-record-308805/)

tony126 Jun 15th 2005 8:13 pm

Car hire, for the record

Having just returned from the UK the car hire firm I used were excellent. For any ones' future reference it is 1car1 I can certainly recommend them. They were the cheapest I found for this time of year. :)

Philgr Jun 15th 2005 10:57 pm

Re: Car hire, for the record

Glad you had a good experience with them Tony - they certainly are cheap but I wasn't impressed and won't use them again.

Despite four phone calls, I waited at the airport for an hour before they came to pick me up (then the driver blamed the dispatcher and the dispatcher blamed the driver) then they didn't tell me that they didn't actually have any of the cars I had booked but, after I had signed all the paper work and paid, they told me they had "upgraded" us to another car. This would have been OK but it had less luggage space (Rover 75 from a Vectra - both auto which was the problem but my USC wife doesn't do manual). As they didn't have anything bigger and I couldn't face going back to the airport and finding another car - with two small children in tow - we squashed everything in but I won't be using 1car1 again.

Prices are cheap so if everything works that's all that matters - when it doesn't you find out how good they are.

candy wy. Jun 15th 2005 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Philgr
Glad you had a good experience with them Tony - they certainly are cheap but I wasn't impressed and won't use them again.

Despite four phone calls, I waited at the airport for an hour before they came to pick me up (then the driver blamed the dispatcher and the dispatcher blamed the driver) then they didn't tell me that they didn't actually have any of the cars I had booked but, after I had signed all the paper work and paid, they told me they had "upgraded" us to another car. This would have been OK but it had less luggage space (Rover 75 from a Vectra - both auto which was the problem but my USC wife doesn't do manual). As they didn't have anything bigger and I couldn't face going back to the airport and finding another car - with two small children in tow - we squashed everything in but I won't be using 1car1 again.

Prices are cheap so if everything works that's all that matters - when it doesn't you find out how good they are.

just curious but which airport was this from.
i had a good experience with them also i could not fault there service:)

Philgr Jun 15th 2005 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by candy wy.
just curious but which airport was this from.
i had a good experience with them also i could not fault there service:)

Heathrow - maybe I was just unlucky - I wasn't impressed that their website booking allows you to book a model of car they simply don't have though.

candy wy. Jun 15th 2005 11:20 pm

Heathrow - maybe I was just unlucky - I wasn't impressed that their website booking allows you to book a model of car they simply don't have though.

I can understand your frustration at not getting the car you booked, probably would of felt the same way had it of happened to me:(
as for the web site I did do a follow up call after booking on it. I called the local office to check that everything was set up right.

Philgr Jun 15th 2005 11:23 pm

I can understand your frustration at not getting the car you booked, probably would of felt the same way had it of happened to me:(
as for the web site I did do a follow up call after booking on it. I called the local office to check that everything was set up right.

I'm just an optimistic fool I guess :rolleyes:

candy wy. Jun 15th 2005 11:26 pm

I'm just an optimistic fool I guess :rolleyes:

no. just a male;)

Philgr Jun 15th 2005 11:36 pm

no. just a male;)

Actually I have been a male for quite a long time :p

I also work in a environment where virtually everything is done on the web and so I'd forgotten how cr*p most British non-IT companies are at getting their systems to work right

candy wy. Jun 15th 2005 11:42 pm

Actually I have been a male for quite a long time :p

I also work in a environment where virtually everything is done on the web and so I'd forgotten how cr*p most British non-IT companies are at getting their systems to work right

all is not lost then.
you learnt a valuable lesson when dealing with these companies:p

Philgr Jun 15th 2005 11:48 pm

all is not lost then.
you learnt a valuable lesson when dealing with these companies:p

Yeah - don't invest in them - they'll be out of business shortly - thin margins and poor service is a bad mix ;)

In the meantime, if you need a cheap car and can stand the occassional mix up we know where to go.

(Btw - making us wait at the T3 bus stop with two very sleepy young children for an hour was a far bigger crime in my view and one that calling ahead wouldn't have helped).

candy wy. Jun 16th 2005 12:01 am

In the meantime, if you need a cheap car and can stand the occassional mix up we know where to go.

well there are horror stories to be told even about the big car rental firms. you go with what you are happy with.:) I personaly had problems with one of the well known car rental places.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 16th 2005 12:50 am

We hired a vehicle recently from Enterprise locally, they did not have what we orderded either. So we got the next one up, actually two up at the same price.

I prefer to rent from the smaller locations with this guarantee for this very reason.

AdobePinon Jun 16th 2005 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
We hired a vehicle recently from Enterprise locally, they did not have what we orderded either. So we got the next one up, actually two up at the same price.

I prefer to rent from the smaller locations with this guarantee for this very reason.

Car rental places never have what you order. In the US, I always order a compact. As soon as I get there, they always try to sell me on an upgrade. I always politely decline, I really want that compact. By the time you're done filling in the paperwork, they are forced to admit that they don't have a compact on the lot, so you get upgraded to the midsize for no extra charge. And if for some bizarre reason they actually have a compact, then, well, I guess I changed my mind - give me the upgrade. :D

Pulaski Jun 16th 2005 1:32 pm

I have rented cars from time to time both in the UK and the US, and I'm not sure I have ever got exactly the car I booked, well, maybe one or twice.

Generally the rental offices that I go to have a limited "stock" of cars on site, and I have never had anything less than an "equivalent", or upgrade car, but then I am not confined to requiring an automatic (Mrs Turkey drives a stick-shift too :) ).

CaliforniaBride Jun 16th 2005 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
Having just returned from the UK the car hire firm I used were excellent. For any ones' future reference it is 1car1 I can certainly recommend them. They were the cheapest I found for this time of year. :)

Cheaper than easycar?