British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car Hire Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-hire-back-home-345726/)

HoosierDaddy Jan 2nd 2006 8:05 pm

Car Hire Back Home

I know this has been done before, so apologies (at least it is the 1st of a New Year) ;)

..but I was wondering if there are any better car rental deals than the one(s) I have found.....
Picking up at LHR on 17th Feb and dropping off at EDI on 26th Feb.
Looking for a 1.8 vehicle, enough for 3 adults and 1 gorgeous baby.
Found a quote of 252.75 quid thru National for a Vectra 1.8LS or similar but better yet found a quote of 195.03 from Europcar thru Nova. These quotes include all charges (CDW, 3rd party, miles, tax, one-way fee, etc). There is still a heft deductible, sorry "excess".
I've used Nova for a trip home back in 2004 and it was a +ve experience. All the other major players seem wayyy steeper for the same class car.

Any other sites I may have overlooked for my needs?

Cheers

Chorlton Jan 2nd 2006 8:09 pm

Re: Car Hire Back Home

http://www.1car1.com/

some like them, some hate them. I like them.

HoosierDaddy Jan 2nd 2006 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton

Way more expensive. Thanks anyway.

meauxna Jan 2nd 2006 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy

AutoEurope?
It's been a couple of years since I've rented with them, but that was always my best deal.

TRPardoe Jan 2nd 2006 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton

I concur with this as far as pricing goes. They did not have the vehicle I ordered but did give me an upgrade for the same price.

There was car park paint damage to the vehicle when I returned it, the £500 charge was higher than the rental (£350) with no paperwork to back it up. They never responded to my repeated requests for copies either.

Having said that, I would probably use them again and take more care not to get the car damaged.

frrussre Jan 2nd 2006 11:17 pm

I know this has been done before, so apologies (at least it is the 1st of a New Year) ;)

..but I was wondering if there are any better car rental deals than the one(s) I have found.....
Found a quote of 252.75 quid thru National for a Vectra 1.8LS or similar but better yet found a quote of 195.03 from Europcar thru Nova. These quotes include all charges (CDW, 3rd party, miles, tax, one-way fee, etc). There is still a heft deductible, sorry "excess".
I've used Nova for a trip home back in 2004 and it was a +ve experience. All the other major players seem wayyy steeper for the same class car.

Cheers

I started a thread on this subject a couple of months ago, checked them all out.
We eventually settled for Enterprise LHR 2/18 - 2/24 Mondeo(Or Equiv) 2 drivers £161.99 (Including extra 3 hours).
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336327

Reg. Frank R.
Have a Happy Trip!!!!!!!!!!!

AmerLisa Jan 3rd 2006 12:53 am

Originally Posted by TRPardoe

Having said that, I would probably use them again and take more care not to get the car damaged.

How can you take more care in a car park? Unless you put bubblewrap around the car? :confused:

Lizzi Jan 3rd 2006 3:21 am

I recommend the one I mentioned last time (see link), but you got a better price with Nova, as they quote 213 for a Vectra. You can also pay extra so that you insurance against paying the excess.

kevntrace Jan 3rd 2006 11:43 pm

I believe I also chipped in on the original discussion on this theme. I didn't like 1car1, but that was because of my own screwup (but they didn't handle it very well either).

I like Avis at LHR. Lots of shuttle buses to pick you up or drop you off, and usually a quick, painless process at the counter to complete the paperwork.

And the main reason I like Avis is because they offer tons of discount codes (AWD - Avis Worldwide Discount). Using your dates and pickup/dropoff locations, I was able to get a price of $231.55 (converts to 132.46 GBP according to xe.com) for a Vectra 2.0/2.2. This quote includes VAT and unlimited mileage, but does not include insurance - and it was achieved through the US web site - your results may vary if you try getting a quote from the UK web site. Of course this quote was obtained using one of the discount codes I alluded to.

I don't want to give out the particular discount code I used because it's really meant for members of a certain institution, but Avis don't care who uses the code (I've used it several times myself, and I'm not a member of the institution). If you are still interested, and have no moral qualms in using someone else's discount code, I'd recommend you visit the forums on flyertalk.com. There is a forum for all major car rental firms, including Avis. Many AWD codes are listed there, including the one I used for your example.

Given the diversity of the BE.com population, I'm sure some folks will be disgusted at the suggestion of the unauthorised use of someone's discount code. I personally don't have a problem with this, but I understand some might. For that reason I haven't provided the particular discount code I used, but I've provided pointers on where to find it for those who wish. So please, no flamers.

Cheers

Muswell Hill Jan 4th 2006 2:12 am

Cheers

I just used www.strafford.co.uk. They will deliver the car to LGW or LHR and meet you. I booked 3 months in advance and got a Nissan Primera for 60 quid a week all inclusive. They are the best car rental by far in the UK and I recommend them any day.

HoosierDaddy Jan 4th 2006 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
I just used www.strafford.co.uk. They will deliver the car to LGW or LHR and meet you. I booked 3 months in advance and got a Nissan Primera for 60 quid a week all inclusive. They are the best car rental by far in the UK and I recommend them any day.

Thanks for the tip MH but I need a one way in effect (dropping off in EDI - Edinburgh Airport). Sounds like a good deal you got anyway.

Muswell Hill - is that where Stanley Norman Fletcher was from? :)

Muswell Hill Jan 4th 2006 2:20 am

Thanks for the tip MH but I need a one way in effect (dropping off in EDI - Edinburgh Airport). Sounds like a good deal you got anyway.

Muswell Hill - is that where Stanley Norman Fletcher was from? :)

I dunno, but didn't he get banged up in the scrubs?

tony126 Jan 4th 2006 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill

I think Gruffbrown recommended these as well. I am thinking of giving them a go on my next trip home in May.