Car finance

Old Jun 25th 2019, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car finance

Being underwater on a car isn't fun at all. My FiL is currently about $9000 underwater on his truck as he rolled in a ton of negative from a previous vehicle.

You could potentially look at a personal loan (to pay off the balance of the car) and see if the interest rate and monthly payment are better suited to you but again, not ideal. Throw any spare income you have at paying down that principal. If you buy a Starbucks every morning, make your own etc and straight away you've saved $5 which can all be added up at the end of the month and thrown onto the principal.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 5:00 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

On top of all this the dealership are very unlikely to offer you 8K for the car in trade, you have to use the option to get an instant offer from KBB to be closer to what they'd actually give you. A new Fiesta around here costs just over 14K, did you buy a bunch of pre-paid maintenance and some kind of extended warranty or something?
Old Jun 26th 2019, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
it's already being financed. See OP's first post.
I'm aware of that... hence my general comment on the risks of financing a large percentage of a depreciating asset.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 5:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
On top of all this the dealership are very unlikely to offer you $8K for the car in trade ....
That would depend what you trade it for as much as what the true resale/ market value actually is - trade it for a loaded Expedition and the dealer might give you $10k or more as a trade-in value, but by then you'd up to your neck in the BS of "discounts", "rebates", "incentives", and what "trade in value" even means.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That would depend what you trade it for as much as what the true resale/ market value actually is - trade it for a loaded Expedition and the dealer might give you $10k or more as a trade-in value, but by then you'd up to your neck in the BS of "discounts", "rebates", "incentives", and what "trade in value" even means.
I was going to say, if you're going for a serious serious upgrade (think fully loaded $40/50k+ model) and they may give you more for the trade in, but you're just moving the negative money over and the payments are going to jump. If you're unable to pay the principle down on a current model you're trying to be rid of, then jumping into a more expensive model would be ridiculous.

I'd honestly look at the personal loan but again, you're really just moving the money from one place to another.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 2:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Some see it as their only option to 'get something reliable'
And sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
The OP is in Texas so reliable transport is a must. I'm sure she looked at her new car purchase as an assett, lots of us have done the same thing. It's tough when it seems you owe money on it forever.

Sarasota Chic , I would do as you said and give it another year. Try and pay extra when you can. Keep it looking good and running well and hopefully next year you can trade in. Good luck mate!
Old Jun 27th 2019, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Sarasota - if you are paying a high interest rate you may be able to shop around now with your bank or credit union and lower that rate by taking out a loan to pay off the balance. Make sure the new loan is at a lower interest rate and does not come with any fees to set up. For example, I have done this when purchasing a vehicle to get the best deal with the the car Dealer, and then converted the entire amount to another loan.
Old Jun 30th 2019, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Sarasota - if you are paying a high interest rate you may be able to shop around now with your bank or credit union and lower that rate by taking out a loan to pay off the balance. Make sure the new loan is at a lower interest rate and does not come with any fees to set up. For example, I have done this when purchasing a vehicle to get the best deal with the the car Dealer, and then converted the entire amount to another loan.
Definitely do the above but also consider your car is barely broken in at 21000 miles. Unless it is not the car for your needs keep it not one year but 5-10 years. Drive it until it becomes a major maintenance problem.
On a side note how is living on the military base working out?
Old Jun 30th 2019, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Definitely do the above but also consider your car is barely broken in at 21000 miles. Unless it is not the car for your needs keep it not one year but 5-10 years. Drive it until it becomes a major maintenance problem.
I can't wait until I can get out of my lease next year and drop the insurance coverage a little.

I plan to run this thing into the ground and even after putting money aside each month to eventually replace it, I'm going to have so much extra money a month it's not even funny!
Old Jun 30th 2019, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

My wife buys her own cars and keeps them 6-8 years. The last three have been small Toyota’s, Echo and Yaris. After her use they have about 70,000 miles. I give her 2-3 thousand on her new car and the old car becomes my daily driver and used some by both of us for things like hauling our 120lb dog for vet and grooming. I put another 80-100 thousand on the old car before selling it.