Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car buying question ver 8.0

Car buying question ver 8.0

Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Question Car buying question ver 8.0

So after getting a really good insurance quote on the Xterra, we went to the local nissan dealer tonight to have a proper look around the SUV. Its definately the one for us, because for the first time ever, me and my wife actually agreed on the model and the colour!. Now the sticker price was $23,800. But I was wondering from any car buying experts, what they thought we might be able to hagle them down to, once we come to actually purchase it? Its a 2004, but they also had plenty of 2003 models which are practically the same thing, but a little cheaper and they seemed very keen to get rid of them.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car buying question ver 8.0

Originally posted by Pimpbot
...... But I was wondering from any car buying experts, what they thought we might be able to hagle them down to, .....
Are you a cash buyer? If you are relying on credit you aren't going to be in an especially strong postion to haggle. You may get them to come down $2,000 -$3,000.

Now, if you are a cash buyer you could probably expect twice that. Make them a low offer and if they don't start negotiating then walk away, and come back another day (assuming that they have several 2003s that they need to clear).

At the start of 2004 don't expect anything but a "standard" discount on a 2004 model - something fairly nominal, maybe $1,000.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 8th 2004 at 3:17 am.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking to put around $5000 down cash and Nissan are doing a $2500 rebate at the moment. The place we went to tonight isnt the only nissan dealership in Scottsdale either, so we will be walking if we are not offered something tastey.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
We are looking to put around $5000 down cash and Nissan are doing a $2500 rebate at the moment. The place we went to tonight isnt the only nissan dealership in Scottsdale either, so we will be walking if we are not offered something tastey.
In which case I don't think that you'll find much room for negotiation. The deal, if you need finance, is pretty much "as is" - i.e. take it or leave it. Having said that, I hope that I'm wrong and that you can get a good deal!

BTW I'd forget the 2004 and take a deal on the 2003.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:28 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski

BTW I'd forget the 2004 and take a deal on the 2003.
I'd recommend going for an 03 model year too. We recently paid cash for an 03 Toyota Highlander and got $5k off. The 04 model didn't have anything over the 03 than we particularly cared about.