Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Buying Advice given freely

Wikiposts

Car Buying Advice given freely

Old May 4th 2005, 6:29 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Buying Advice given freely

Being a Chrysler fan ...
Attached Thumbnails Car Buying Advice given freely-sales_auto_gfx_050405.jpg  
Old May 4th 2005, 6:32 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
For the buyer who want to stay in warranty and who wants never to be upside down when they get their next vehicle, a lease is the best, if not the only option.
Being upside down on a car loan is the situation in which the car is worth less than your outstanding loan.

In a lease, the car is worth nothing to you because you are not free to sell. You continue to owe more money on a zero-value asset until the expiration of your lease. The best you can hope for is to transfer the lease with no immediate loss.
Old May 4th 2005, 6:35 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Some people like the peace of mind of having a newish car that is under warranty, particularly if they drive long distances and/or often drive in difficult conditions.

But let's face it, most people would do better getting a 2-3 old used car and keeping it for another 2-3 years. With data resources that are available now, it shouldn't be too difficult to find out which makes and models have a good long-term track record (and resale value).

I think the fact that car ads emphasise monthly payments rather than the total cost of the car is a clear indicator that the industry doesn't want people to think in terms of the latter. (I remember when we were buying our current car I had to ask the salesman FOUR times for a calculator so I could work this out. In the end we paid cash, which they found extremely 'strange'...)
Most people are what is called "payment buyers". That is all a lot of people are interested in. "How much is it going to cost me per month for how long ?"

Al the adverts are doing is telling the majority what they want to hear.
Old May 4th 2005, 6:36 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

It makes no difference to my income whether my customers lease or buy.
Except when your customer can't afford to buy that huge ass Excursion, but could afford to lease it.
Old May 4th 2005, 6:38 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

I think I am done with this thread. The few people left on it are die-hard hate-leasing types with nothing else to contribute.

tata 'till next time..........
Old May 4th 2005, 6:39 am
Powder Maggot

I think I am done with this thread. The few people left on it are die-hard hate-leasing types with nothing else to contribute.

tata 'till next time..........
See ya!
Old May 4th 2005, 6:46 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
See ya!
I note he never remembered to recommend "The Car Buyer's Art - how to beat the salesman at his own game", by Darrell Parrish, ISBN 0-9612322-0-X

Old May 4th 2005, 7:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I note he never remembered to recommend "The Car Buyer's Art - how to beat the salesman at his own game", by Darrell Parrish, ISBN 0-9612322-0-X

http://forum.miata.net/cgi-bin/ultim...c;f=6;t=022208

This amused me no end, go down about half way where it really gets going.

I do not have the bottle to do this myself but I wish i knew somebody who could!

PS It takes 2 to Tango, the dealer can of course turn down any counter offer. If they did not make something out of it , I am sure they would tell him where to go.
Old May 4th 2005, 7:26 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Most people are what is called "payment buyers". That is all a lot of people are interested in. "How much is it going to cost me per month for how long ?"

Al the adverts are doing is telling the majority what they want to hear.
I really think the major friction here is that the vast majority of people on this particular board just ain't most people.
Old May 4th 2005, 7:29 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I really think the major friction here is that the vast majority of people on this particular board just ain't most people.
...or we take the caveat emptor approach.

NC Penguin
Old May 4th 2005, 7:34 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
http://forum.miata.net/cgi-bin/ultim...c;f=6;t=022208

This amused me no end, go down about half way where it really gets going.
There's clearly a lot more to this than making counter offers. I think these evil car salesman can tell whether someone's got the nouse and the bottle for his game...
Old May 4th 2005, 7:53 am
Powder Maggot

From the link above:

"Do this at your own peril. I have been banned, and aksed never to come back at a certain dealership (japanese brand) in Cerritos, CA. <snip> I have gotten a letter from the owner not asking me to come back, ever."

For those still around: As far as being die-hard-against-lease. No, I'm not. For a few people leases really do work well. I'm not one of them. And I resent being told that leases are right for almost everyone, and that it's all about lowering your monthly payment.

Last edited by AdobePinon; May 4th 2005 at 7:58 am.
Old May 4th 2005, 9:30 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Car Buying Advice given freely

It sounds like you are perfect lease customers.

You want to stay in warranty, you don't like trading-in, you look after your vehicle. Unless you drive a ridiculous amount of miles leasing is perfect for you.

If you want more info send me a PM.
Er, no. We're here on non-immigrant L1-A and L2 visas.....if the company suddenly decided to move us back to the UK or another country then we would have been stuck with a penalty charge by the leasing company for returning the car early. (I've seen those websites where people are trying to sell on their leases to try to avoid those penalty charges).

Husband paid cash for the Volvo (and the Dodge Caravan before that).

My friend is self-employed so it's sensible for her to lease as she can write some of the costs off for tax....yet when she returned the last car they added on penalty fees for the dings and scratches on the bodywork that were caused by other drivers in car parks. It doesn't seem to be clear to me what in the dealer's opinion actually constitutes 'fair wear and tear' but surely the dealers can't expect a three-year old car to be returned in mint condition?

We had also read the Carbuyingtips website (way back in 2000 before we even moved to the States) and we came to the conclusion that leasing wasn't really for us.
Old May 4th 2005, 9:32 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
As far as being die-hard-against-lease. No, I'm not. For a few people leases really do work well. I'm not one of them. And I resent being told that leases are right for almost everyone, and that it's all about lowering your monthly payment.
Your position is identical to mine - leases are great for people who are

self-employed and can write off the expense
have to have the peace of a new car under warranty (I'd personally rather buy an older better quality/reliable car)
want to drive a car they could not afford to buy

I like to retain/build wealth for myself, not let the dealer do it on my behalf

give you a real world example

One of my friends just got a 4 year lease on a honda accord, I recently got a 4 year loan on a porsche

my payments are about 30% more a month

in four years I will have a car worth 70% of what I paid for it

In four years she will have NOTHING to show for all the payments she made

In those 4 years she will also have been driving a relatively mediocre car (US accords are not the same as UK ones)

how can leasing be better?