Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car accidents you've had in 2003

Car accidents you've had in 2003

Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:17 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car accidents you've had in 2003

Since cars, driving and ins have been so topical recently, I'll relate my experiences and call for yours.

I've been driving in the UK since '93 and moved here in Dec '02. Two people have hit me (their fault), whilst driving, in the year I've been here and I've had 3 near misses with people pulling out on me/drifting into my lane.

I live in Pittsburgh PA. How have you all fared in 2003 on these crazy roads?

Sam.

Last edited by ukemigrant; Jan 9th 2004 at 1:00 am.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:53 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car accidents you've had in 2003

Originally posted by ukemigrant
Since cars, driving and ins have been so topical recently, I'll relate my experiences and call for yours.
I've been driving in the UK since '93 and moved here in Dec '03. Two people have hit me (their fault), whilst driving, in the year I've been here and I've had 3 near misses with people pulling out on me/drifting into my lane.
I live in Pittsburgh PA. How have you all fared in 2003 on these crazy roads?Sam.
Its not other cars that give me problems ..its those damn roadside mailboxes that keep leaping out in front of me..
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:00 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

LOL Ray!!

No accidents to report here; not even any near-misses.

There are drivers and then there are screwdrivers!!

Plenty of the latter on the roads.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:13 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy NC drivers, I got hit up the backside last May while stopped at lights by a woman who was too busy talking on her mobile to notice that the lights where red and there where 4 cars stopped. She didn't even hit her brakes so I had no warning!

I have had a whole bunch of near misses, people don't look left or stop at stop signs when pulling out, drifting from lane to lane without indicating or looking.

You have to say that learning to drive in the UK is a great advantage on the roads, you have a lot better concept of what is happening around you for a start. I really doesnt matter though, where ever I go the worst drivers in the world have always got there before me.

Patrick
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:45 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Patrick
I really doesnt matter though, where ever I go the worst drivers in the world have always got there before me.
LOL! You wanna try Cyprus then; they're all nuts behind the wheel!

I took my test there and honestly, if you can drive there, you can drive anywhere!! That's no lie!

They think that traffic lights are just there for decoration and the lines on the road are just pretty patterns, (at least that's what I can only assume goes through their heads)!

:scared:
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:55 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car accidents you've had in 2003

Originally posted by ukemigrant

I've been driving in the UK since '93 and moved here in Dec '03. Two people have hit me (their fault), whilst driving, in the year I've been here and I've had 3 near misses with people pulling out on me/drifting into my lane.

I live in Pittsburgh PA. How have you all fared in 2003 on these crazy roads?

Sam.
Dec 03 to now is less than 2 months. Are you saying two drivers have hit your vehicle in such a short time?

I've had a full license in the US (previously only had a Provisional license in the UK) for just under a year now. I've discovered that defensive driving and anticipating what idiot drivers will do has prevented me from having accidents so far.

Also, a "safe driving" lucky charm hanging off my rear view mirror (No. It's not a penguin although there is one hanging there) may have helped.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

October 2002
I had a fight with a deer and the deer won.

October 2003
A woman backed into my car whilst parking, caused $800 of damage.

Can't wait for October 2004
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Must be something about October - I was in a four car fender bender on I95 in the Bronx in October - serious damage was done - airbags all went off - thankfully it was a hire car!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I am not driving yet in USA but I have had plenty of "experiences" on the road none the less...

Drivers over here seem to pay less attention to events around them and seem to be slower to react (just my opinion)... possibly something to do with so many desicions being made for them in the way of automatics, cruise control and "four way stop" junctions being so common.

Since arriving here last May, I have had many cars pull out on me when on my bike causing me to take evasive action... They then start to scream at me saying things like "act like a car"....

Let me just say that if I had acted like a car I would have been going 25 - 30 miles an hour and written there car off rather than the 15 miles an hour on my bike and being able to get past them!!! But that logic is lost on these individuals.

In six months I have been in two crashes, thats two more than 8 years driving in England, and both of them being results of a lack of observation from the driver involved.

I am also very scared with the fact that some people over here seem to have the ability to see out of the back of there heads while driving, talking to people in the back seat (and looking at them) while going 55 on a highway... Nice!!!

Don't get me wrong, I know I am not the best driver in the world having been banned for six months due to speeding, but if I drove in England how some Americans choose to drive I wouldn't last ten minutes!! Just my opinion
Old Jan 8th 2004, 7:53 pm
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold

I sympathise entirely with you Patrick.

I drove for 13 years in the UK. For the past 2 years I've been driving in Kansas City, which can best be described as leisurely.

Recently my job required me to be in North Carolina for 5 weeks (Cary to be precise, the Fox & Hounds in McGregor Village is a nice pub if you are ever in the vicinity) and the drivers there were crazy! Fast, impolite and paying little attention most of the time. It really reminded me of rush hour in London. I think had I not learned to drive in the UK, with a 'stick shift', and spent many many hours in the aforementioned rush hour, I would have had a tough time coping with the traffic in North Carolina.

My wife who was born and grew up in Kansas City, joined me for a few days, but left all the driving to me in NC, she didn't want to drive as she is used to a much slower driving pace.

All the best
Gary
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

No accidents to report here ... but then I am a woman driver

Jan
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:21 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
No accidents to report here ... but then I am a woman driver

Jan
so how many have you seen in your rear view mirror?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

rear view mirror ?? wassat then ?

Jan
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:35 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT: Caryites and a Pub That Sucks

Originally posted by GJB
<<snip>>

Recently my job required me to be in North Carolina for 5 weeks (Cary to be precise, the Fox & Hounds in McGregor Village is a nice pub if you are ever in the vicinity) and the drivers there were crazy! Fast, impolite and paying little attention most of the time. It really reminded me of rush hour in London. I think had I not learned to drive in the UK, with a 'stick shift', and spent many many hours in the aforementioned rush hour, I would have had a tough time coping with the traffic in North Carolina.

<<snip>>

All the best
Gary
I live in Durham, pretty close to Cary. You must have run into (no pun intended) the many soccer moms in their minivans and SUVs. Caryites (rhymes with parasites) are something else as drivers. That's why I do my utmost to avoid Cary at weekends during daylight hours.

BTW, the Fox and Hound's food sucks. To back this up, the place closed down at the very end of last year. I won't miss this "pub". If you're ever in the area again, you should try " West 94th St. Pub" (I think that is their correct name) in the shopping center at Woodcroft, near H54 in Durham. That's more like a pub and their food is great!

NC Penguin
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK OK ... I went out and looked at the van ... it seems my rear view mirror is missing, it fell off in the summer and hasnt been replaced. I do use my side mirrors though and NO I havent witnessed any accidents in them.
Forgot all about that mirror ... hehe been missing for so long

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.