Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Capitol Hill work

Capitol Hill work

Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:22 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 29
cy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nice
Default Capitol Hill work

Does anyone know if, as a US Permanent Resident, it is possible to work on Capitol Hill? Seems that this is something (a) offices there haven't dealt with regularly, if at all and (b) they just don't know what the criteria is.

I was interviewed for a Senate job and couldn't progress because they thought only US Citizens could work there, however, they also said this might not apply for the US House of Representatives.

Any insight would be most welcome!
cy1982 is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:28 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
sir_eccles's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,106
sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

Generalizing slightly but most government/federal/state paid jobs are Citizen only.

Exception, working for a sub-contractor to the government. Needless to say, DC is a hotbed of sub-contractors bidding for work for the government.
sir_eccles is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:33 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
markwm's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 498
markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

I'm pretty sure a friend of my son was working as an intern (straight from uni and is British) in Washington for some politician - I'll see if he can get the details.

Also, didn't Tony Blair's son work in Washington as an intern? Maybe slightly different given Blair's position but the son (Euan?) is not a resident or citizen afaik.
markwm is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2012, 12:53 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 4,896
md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

Originally Posted by markwm View Post
I'm pretty sure a friend of my son was working as an intern (straight from uni and is British) in Washington for some politician - I'll see if he can get the details.
Was he actually being paid anything?
md95065 is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2012, 2:00 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
markwm's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 498
markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

Originally Posted by md95065 View Post
Was he actually being paid anything?
I really have no ideA; I thought that interns worked for free.
markwm is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2012, 3:07 am
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
penguinsix's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong, mostly.
Posts: 5,129
penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

The US Congress is exempt from most of the hiring rules that apply to other federal agencies (it's a complicated constitutional reason). When I was there we actually had a UK citizen as an intern with our committee (no green card, just a student visiting for a semester).

Each office can set its own rules on hiring, though if you are in a sensitive position requiring security clearance you may even encounter difficulty if you are a dual US-UK citizen, let alone just a Green Card.
penguinsix is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:59 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 29
cy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nice
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
The US Congress is exempt from most of the hiring rules that apply to other federal agencies (it's a complicated constitutional reason). When I was there we actually had a UK citizen as an intern with our committee (no green card, just a student visiting for a semester).

Each office can set its own rules on hiring, though if you are in a sensitive position requiring security clearance you may even encounter difficulty if you are a dual US-UK citizen, let alone just a Green Card.
This sounds like it might still be possible, perhaps on an individual office by office basis.

I will keep digging around for confirmation.
cy1982 is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2012, 8:21 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
SATX John's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 899
SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

Originally Posted by cy1982 View Post
This sounds like it might still be possible, perhaps on an individual office by office basis.

I will keep digging around for confirmation.
So long as there is no security clearance requirement, it should be possible. Only US Citz can get those.

http://www.opajobs.com/capitol-hill-jobs.html

One area to look at. You can always email the POC's to confirm or deny.
SATX John is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:39 pm
  #9  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,773
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

Originally Posted by SATX John View Post
So long as there is no security clearance requirement, it should be possible. Only US Citz can get those.
Not quite true. Greencard holders can also get clearance, just won't be particularly at a high level though.
Bob is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:22 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
SATX John's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 899
SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Not quite true. Greencard holders can also get clearance, just won't be particularly at a high level though.
Bob, not by the current laws and rules. GC members must become citis by 8 years of service in the military, normally due the requirement to have a Secret Clearance.

Also You must be a cit to get a Secret. Non Cits = no clearance. A problem since all our radios use crypto, which you need a clearance for. Same for internet, secured system requires it, even if a contractor.

http://www.clearancejobs.com/security_clearance_faq.pdf
SATX John is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2012, 3:01 am
  #11  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,773
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

Originally Posted by SATX John View Post
Bob, not by the current laws and rules. GC members must become citis by 8 years of service in the military, normally due the requirement to have a Secret Clearance.

Also You must be a cit to get a Secret. Non Cits = no clearance. A problem since all our radios use crypto, which you need a clearance for. Same for internet, secured system requires it, even if a contractor.

http://www.clearancejobs.com/security_clearance_faq.pdf
How accurate is a temp agency on the rules and regulations though?

That doc also says they can get equivalent to "secret" level, so either they can or they can't.

Anyway, things might have change when particular example I was thinking of happened, I don't know the details, but chap I know did design work for RAF bunker and communications. USAF got him a greencard specifically so he could get security clearance to do the same for them, which he did. He left after the work, but he still has the greencard, though I'm sure the status is long lost now.
Bob is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2012, 11:30 pm
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
SATX John's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 899
SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
How accurate is a temp agency on the rules and regulations though?

That doc also says they can get equivalent to "secret" level, so either they can or they can't.

Anyway, things might have change when particular example I was thinking of happened, I don't know the details, but chap I know did design work for RAF bunker and communications. USAF got him a greencard specifically so he could get security clearance to do the same for them, which he did. He left after the work, but he still has the greencard, though I'm sure the status is long lost now.
I did not post the dod link. Your friend sounds a special case probably on a Joint design project, who probably had a UK clearance. If you have that then exceptions can be made, like when we are deployed together. This has matured significantly since 2002. My boss then was LTG Nick Carter (then a COL). He could only look over my shoulder as we checked his email. Could not get on the system.

BLUF there are many jobs that do not require that access on Capitol Hill.

Just trying to help.
SATX John is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:20 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 29
cy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nice
Default Re: Capitol Hill work

Heard from a friend on the Hill that permanent residents can work for the House. The Senate however, requires you to be a US Citizen or at the very least, a Permanent Resident going through the citizenship process.

Therefore, any Hill work would need to focus on the House side.
cy1982 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.