Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Capital Gains Tax

Capital Gains Tax

Old Jan 28th 2005, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

DebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the rough
Default Capital Gains Tax

If you sold your house in the UK, which was your main residence, are you subject to USA Capital Gains Tax on the profit made?
Thanks.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 1:49 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Capital Gains Tax

My understanding is that for the US if you live in a house for at least 2 years you have $250k single or $500k joint on any capital gains you made on the house.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 2:38 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebraJulia
If you sold your house in the UK, which was your main residence, are you subject to USA Capital Gains Tax on the profit made?
Thanks.
Again, as with all US tax questions, it is not so much a matter of where the house was, but rather whether or not you are a US resident alien for tax purposes.

Since we've already decided in another thread that you're resident for tax purposes, you are liable to the same rules as any other US tax payer regarding capital gains on sale of your primary residence.

As Vegas says, that means that if you lived in the house for more than 2 years you can exclude up to $500k (for married couples filing jointly, as I believe you will be) profit on the sale. Any profit above that level is liable for capital gains tax. If you lived in the house for less than 2 years, you cannot exclude any of the profit from the sale! We lived in our house for 2 years and 3 weeks before we sold it!!!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

DebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Again, as with all US tax questions, it is not so much a matter of where the house was, but rather whether or not you are a US resident alien for tax purposes.

Since we've already decided in another thread that you're resident for tax purposes, you are liable to the same rules as any other US tax payer regarding capital gains on sale of your primary residence.

As Vegas says, that means that if you lived in the house for more than 2 years you can exclude up to $500k (for married couples filing jointly, as I believe you will be) profit on the sale. Any profit above that level is liable for capital gains tax. If you lived in the house for less than 2 years, you cannot exclude any of the profit from the sale! We lived in our house for 2 years and 3 weeks before we sold it!!!
2 years and 3 weeks, wow u just about made it then! lol Got another question for you .... installment sale? Any ideas? Thanks! Here let me buy you a drink for my gratitude
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:05 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebraJulia
2 years and 3 weeks, wow u just about made it then! lol Got another question for you .... installment sale? Any ideas? Thanks! Here let me buy you a drink for my gratitude
I'll settle for some Karma

Sorry, I know nothing about installment sales. But then again, if I answer all your tax questions I'll have to charge you a CPA fee
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

I'll settle for some Karma

Sorry, I know nothing about installment sales. But then again, if I answer all your tax questions I'll have to charge you a CPA fee
Now, now, doesn't anybody do anything for free nowadays? Just look at it this way, you will be rewarded in heaven! lol

Something I really don't like though, having to give details of my bank account in the UK, kinda feels like an invasion of privacy. What makes me laugh though is, you can't bring over your credit record, its not recognised here, same with car insurance, the no claims bonus etc, so the premiums are through the roof and getting a decent mortgage rate without a credit history is a joke. But when it suits they'll take into reflection activities in your UK bank account.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Real Estate is treated differently to other Capital Gains and under the UK/US Tax treaty the tax is due in the country where the property is located.

e.g. if you are a US resident owning real property in the UK, you would be taxable in the UK on any gains from the property.

Also with the 2 year rule they have in the US, my understanding is that if you sell prior to the 2 years you are still eligible for a proportion of the allowance. e.g. if you sell after 1 year you can get 50% of the allowance.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 8:51 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by strim
Real Estate is treated differently to other Capital Gains and under the UK/US Tax treaty the tax is due in the country where the property is located.

e.g. if you are a US resident owning real property in the UK, you would be taxable in the UK on any gains from the property.

Also with the 2 year rule they have in the US, my understanding is that if you sell prior to the 2 years you are still eligible for a proportion of the allowance. e.g. if you sell after 1 year you can get 50% of the allowance.
Interesting! I didn't know any of that.

You don't happen to have a link to any IRS documents with details, do you? I'm keen to arm myself with as much info as possible before I go into battle with my CPA
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Interesting! I didn't know any of that.

You don't happen to have a link to any IRS documents with details, do you? I'm keen to arm myself with as much info as possible before I go into battle with my CPA
Take a look at this link. (P10 taxation of gains - article 13)

www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/bulletins/tbse6.pdf

The US site doesn't have much detail on specific treaties.

I'll check out if I still have the details about living somewhere less than 2 years and post it if I can find it.
Good Luck!