British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cape Wind Project Clears State Hurdle (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cape-wind-project-clears-state-hurdle-438707/)

Bob Mar 30th 2007 3:04 pm

Cape Wind Project Clears State Hurdle

"A plan to build the nation's first offshore wind farm cleared a key hurdle Friday, winning state approval of an environmental report submitted by the project's developers.

Cape Wind Associates hope to build 130 windmills in federal waters in Nantucket Sound. The turbines would up to 440 feet above sea level when the tallest blade is pointing straight up.

The project still needs to clear federal regulatory hurdles before moving forward...."

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...98/detail.html

Would you be up for something like that or not?

Blot on the view or not?

And do you think it'll actually happen? And anything like this in your neck of the woods?

TouristTrap Mar 30th 2007 3:08 pm

Re: Cape Wind Project Clears State Hurdle

If I owned some prime real estate in the area, I'd be majorly pissed off if I could see that out of my front window.

nun Mar 30th 2007 5:05 pm

I'm not sure its in the best location, but I'm generally in favour of wind power. However, when I heard the usually "green" (eco not Irish) Sen.Kennedy come out agianst the project I immdiately became a supporter just to protest against his hypocrasy,obviously the view from the compound is more important than energy policy

Big D Mar 30th 2007 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4582635)
"A plan to build the nation's first offshore wind farm cleared a key hurdle Friday, winning state approval of an environmental report submitted by the project's developers.

Cape Wind Associates hope to build 130 windmills in federal waters in Nantucket Sound. The turbines would up to 440 feet above sea level when the tallest blade is pointing straight up.

The project still needs to clear federal regulatory hurdles before moving forward...."

Blot on the view or not?

And do you think it'll actually happen? And anything like this in your neck of the woods?

There is one in North Wales off the coast near Rhyl - the advantage there is that its way out in the bay so you struggle to see it. I think its a great idea

cybersecretary Mar 30th 2007 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4582635)

Blot on the view or not?

There is one of these offshore windfarm sites off great yarmouth, not an eyesore at all in my view, although the town is a bit sh**e so its quite the tourist attraction. sometimes i wonder if they dont look like something out of an orson wells book, but all in all pretty for these. although i might be less of a fan if they were directly in front of where i live.

nun Mar 30th 2007 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by cybersecretary (Post 4583337)
There is one of these offshore windfarm sites off great yarmouth, not an eyesore at all in my view, although the town is a bit sh**e so its quite the tourist attraction. sometimes i wonder if they dont look like something out of an orson wells book, but all in all pretty for these. although i might be less of a fan if they were directly in front of where i live.

Don't you mean H.G.Wells.

picking up on your point about Great Yarmouth, I think putting a wind farm in the sea just of Middlesbrough would be fantastic as Middlesbrough must be the sh**est
looking place in the UK.

cybersecretary Mar 30th 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 4583361)
Don't you mean H.G.Wells.

picking up on your point about Great Yarmouth, I think putting a wind farm in the sea just of Middlesbrough would be fantastic as Middlesbrough must be the sh**est
looking place in the UK.

I knew it was a Wells of some sort, what was the book??? Was it Day of the Triffids or something - never been big on literature, only chic lit for me ta very much. Devil Wears Prada and all that stuff.

I would actually be quite happy to have a wind turbine on the top of my house if it saved some money on my energy bills.

PS - did you see what i did earlier - just noticed - not as much of a "fan" - sorry, laughing at my own non funny, non intended jokes - its been a long day.......

BrandonBrit Mar 30th 2007 7:47 pm

oooooooooooo, it's a VERY sore subject here on the cape, people have little posters in their gardens saying save our sound and such. They're not happy about it at all. Now me, I wouldn't really mind it, it would be great if it did bring down some of the energy bills here.... they're terribly high.

I actually don't think the farms look ugly really...but I can understand what someone with a house looking out into the water might think if they were plopped in their view.

krizzy Mar 30th 2007 10:54 pm

I like the idea too...I have no problem with it...energy costs are stupid around here...hope they get it up and running before we move...

krizzy Mar 30th 2007 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 4583225)
I'm not sure its in the best location, but I'm generally in favour of wind power. However, when I heard the usually "green" (eco not Irish) Sen.Kennedy come out agianst the project I immdiately became a supporter just to protest against his hypocrasy,obviously the view from the compound is more important than energy policy

I would of thought he would be all for it...so next time he crashes over a bridge on the Islands he'll have somewhere to rest on the swim back to shore...:blink:

krizzy Mar 30th 2007 11:00 pm

'They also say the turbines could hurt the views of some multimillion-dollar oceanfront homes'.

Cry me a river.....

Bob Apr 2nd 2007 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by krizzy (Post 4584509)
'They also say the turbines could hurt the views of some multimillion-dollar oceanfront homes'.

Cry me a river.....

tell me about it :lol: