Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

can't have a contract mobile 'phone ? ! ?

can't have a contract mobile 'phone ? ! ?

Old May 13th 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of
Default Re: can't have a contract mobile 'phone ? ! ?

Whilst on holiday last year ( my daughter was on a 2 month contract with Disney) we decided to get her a mobile contract, she was paying soooo much money on pay as you go and we knew it would start our credit history off. Went to the T-mobile stand in the mall and walked away with a contract phone. she did have a SSN number but we were not living permenatly in the US and we now just pay the bill from our UK bank. They did want a $200 deposit which is paid back at the end of 1st year. Seemed a reasonable amount to me considering it starts our credit history.
Old May 15th 2007, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

hemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nice

I want to thank all who responded on this issue... so I now have some providers to check.

Some people asked about bank accounts and motor insurance.

Bank account opened with Chase.

Motor Insurance through State Farm.

The insurance was tricky to obtain, and it seemed to me that it REALLY depends upon how helpful and flexible the individual agent is. I got lucky here, and I have rewarded her with insurance for multiple vehicles. My next step is to title and register my pickup truck, so I'll see how difficult that is for a foreigner.

RS
Old May 15th 2007, 10:31 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hemichrysler
Motor Insurance through State Farm.

The insurance was tricky to obtain, and it seemed to me that it REALLY depends upon how helpful and flexible the individual agent is. I got lucky here, and I have rewarded her with insurance for multiple vehicles. My next step is to title and register my pickup truck, so I'll see how difficult that is for a foreigner.

RS
Progressive were handy for me - did the whole thing on line and after a year when I phoned up to complain about the rates I got a massive rebate because they failed to inform me that my previous insurance history in the UK could be used to lower the premium.
Old May 16th 2007, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wisewol
They did want a $200 deposit which is paid back at the end of 1st year. Seemed a reasonable amount to me considering it starts our credit history.
Unfortunately, it doesn't start your credit history, only credit cards, loans etc do, utilities only ding your credit if you don't pay on time, if you do, they don't, so won't build your score at all.
Old May 16th 2007, 1:06 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Progressive were handy for me - did the whole thing on line and after a year when I phoned up to complain about the rates I got a massive rebate because they failed to inform me that my previous insurance history in the UK could be used to lower the premium.
and thats totally the opposite of what they told me:curse: claimed that our UK driving history meant nothing to them

anyhoo, used them for the first few months whilst we sorted out the driving test and getting an American license then switched as we got a deal through our life and house insurance
Old May 16th 2007, 1:47 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
and thats totally the opposite of what they told me:curse: claimed that our UK driving history meant nothing to them

anyhoo, used them for the first few months whilst we sorted out the driving test and getting an American license then switched as we got a deal through our life and house insurance
Maybe they just gave me the discount because I called up with the intention of taking my business elsewhere.
They didn't even ask for proof of my prior insurance from the UK.
Old May 16th 2007, 3:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Maybe they just gave me the discount because I called up with the intention of taking my business elsewhere.
They didn't even ask for proof of my prior insurance from the UK.
aye, it's a sales pitch, and anyone that says otherwise is telling porkies.
Old May 17th 2007, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeeYouLaterAligator
We tried to get my husband a phone when we were over visiting (so we could start building a credit history for him)

They told us that he couldn't get one without a Social Security number because they would have to do a credit check on him. They did say that he could put a large deposit ( I think it was 500 ) We decided to wait though.

I also couldn't add him to my american bank account even though we were married he did not have a SS number and they told me not until he gets one.

but, when i moved to the UK, I got a bank acct, mobile phone, car insurance all in one day - No Problems!

Go figure!
lol
Same here... I could not get a contract phone with T-mobile without SSN so my hubby got it in his name (still in his name 4.5 years down the line).

Fifth Third would not allow me to be added to his account either without SSN.
They would not even allow us to open up a minors saving account for my youngest without SSN either.

Ash
Old May 17th 2007, 3:38 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeeYouLaterAligator
Could use tell me what bank you used then? My bank that I have dealt with since I was a child (but its a community bank, local) wouldn't allow me to add my husband when we got married because of the whole No SS number.

Looks like it time to change banks. Thanks

Ali
Bank of America added me to husbands bank account just after I arrived here. Wasn't a resident or anything at that point.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:17 am
Just Joined

jimmylondon is an unknown quantity at this point

OK. Let's all get one thing straight... I.E. dispel the myths...

Under U.S. law, you only need to supply your SSN (if you're a U.S. citizen) to banks, educational institutions, and government. If any other company (such as a mobile company) asks you for your SSN (U.S. citizen or not), simply state that you are under no obligation to provide that information. When they challenge you, state the same and threaten to file a lawsuit. Watch the idiots cave. Why? Because they know the law, as you do now. Right?

Fight the Corporations. Fight them until we die.

P.S. A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (SSN) is for THAT purpose only. Wake up and fight the future war, now. This way, We The People Will Win.

There is a war. This is a war. People will deny, they will remorse. However, we will win. We are not afraid. Death in life, life in death. No fear, no life.

And to those who laugh... Those republicans that don't take this-or-that seriously... I await your smile.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmylondon
OK. Let's all get one thing straight... I.E. dispel the myths...

Under U.S. law, you only need to supply your SSN (if you're a U.S. citizen) to banks, educational institutions, and government. If any other company (such as a mobile company) asks you for your SSN (U.S. citizen or not), simply state that you are under no obligation to provide that information. When they challenge you, state the same and threaten to file a lawsuit. Watch the idiots cave. Why? Because they know the law, as you do now. Right?

Fight the Corporations. Fight them until we die.

P.S. A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (SSN) is for THAT purpose only. Wake up and fight the future war, now. This way, We The People Will Win.

There is a war. This is a war. People will deny, they will remorse. However, we will win. We are not afraid. Death in life, life in death. No fear, no life.

And to those who laugh... Those republicans that don't take this-or-that seriously... I await your smile.
Sure, you don't HAVE to give it to them.

And they don't HAVE to give you whatever you're trying to get from them. If you don't give them a SSN, they can't do a credit check. So they'll simply turn you down.

You sure sound good at finding the dumbest ways to fight "wars".

Myself, I don't want to be denied credit, hauled in front of judges, pay other people's hospital bills, etc.
Old May 17th 2007, 5:15 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hemichrysler
I visited a Centennial mobile 'phone shop and was told that, as a foreigner, I could only have a pre-paid (pay as you go) mobile 'phone. The shop manager claimed that it was government regulation that prevented him from selling a contract to a foreigner.

Essentially, the stumbling block was lack of social security number.

Is this right? It seems bizarre. Imagine the situation reversed at a Vodafone shop in UK... "Sorry, you're an American, so you can't be trusted to have a contact 'phone because you don't have a National Insurance number."

If even one of you have a contract mobile 'phone then it can't be correct. Who is friendlier than Centennial?

RS
Hi just to let you know that I too don't have my SSN yet, and I have had no problems with anything. I have a contract mobile phone from Verizon, and have set up two accounts with Compass bank. All they needed was my passport and, visa and I-94 information and a few signatures for the bank account. For the moby it was just my bank account details, ID (passport), and payment!

I've been here two months now, and should have my work authorisation in July which means I can then apply for my SSN.

What visa are you here on?