British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cant find where to mail MN1 form for in US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cant-find-where-mail-mn1-form-us-711380/)

graphicsgal Mar 29th 2011 10:59 pm

Cant find where to mail MN1 form for in US

Does anyone know where to mail the MN1 form in the US. I have so far looked on every site listed on google. Called the UK Border Agency in UK yesterday and spoke to a very nice woman who said to call a consulate near me in US to find out which consulate to send to. I'm in WA so I called San Francisco but they dont handle this and their message said to call world bridge which I did 2 hours ago. The gentlemen was not sure what an MN1 was but said that I would probably have to send it to LA consulate. However on the UKinUSA website it says to send applications to Consular Section, 19 Observatory Circle NW Washington DC address. When I told the guy at world bridge this he said they only handle passport applications. My son was easy as he is biological and got his UK passport with my documents and his US birth certificate. But we adopted our daughter from China back in 2005 when US and China were not part of Hague Convention so have to go through MN1 form. So I'm stumped as to where to send this form and I need to get this form off in next couple of weeks as timing with US Hubby and dogs paperwork with goal of moving back to UK by end of year.
Thanks for your help.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 29th 2011 11:33 pm

Re: Cant find where to mail MN1 form for in US

I'm pretty sure Dd's MN1 was mailed to Washington DC. Actually I know it was. I think it was then sent on to UK and finally her certificate came in the mail it seemed to take forever.

graphicsgal Mar 30th 2011 4:41 am

Thanks Mummy in the foothills. My husband thinks it maybe this address, but I'm stressing as we only have one set of original docs and I would not have a clue where to start to get them replaced if lost. Especially as she was adopted from China. Going through the Chinese consulate in the UK via US to verify my documents took 6 months! When I spoke to the UK border agency in UK yesterday morning (my time) they said the application process took between 3-6 months. When we got her US citizenship it was aournd 2-3 months!

Mummy in the foothills Mar 30th 2011 4:50 am

I hated to mail stuff too, it took a year to get Dd's birth certificate and we only have one copy, I wish I'd ordered two, I don't even know how to get another, it's an amended one for California. I think I bit my nails down to nubs until I got everything back.

graphicsgal Mar 30th 2011 8:58 pm

OMG a year!! That's an insane amount of time and certainly a bit different than 3-6 months. Gosh I'm wondering if I should just do the visa application for her as we are planning on being back towards end of year. Then do the registration once we are over in UK. I would even be willing to pay the extra by going up in person (I think it's nearly double the price) but at least I'd see where those documents went. Though registration is cheaper than visa...ahh they certainly dont make your lives easy through this process!!

Mummy in the foothills Mar 30th 2011 9:39 pm

Not not a year to get her registration as a UK citizen I sent that in in January I believe it was and had her certificate of registration as UKC a couple of months later, three at the most from my recollection. It took a year to get her California birth certificate.

graphicsgal Mar 30th 2011 10:33 pm

Phew, I was about to look up child visa application! I remember when our son was born (he was born in Seattle) they made a mistake on his birth certificate. We needed to get it amended so he could get his US and UK passports we made the trip to Olympia ourselves. It was worth my husband taking the day off from work and us driving 2.5 hours and waiting the whole day down there to actually have an amended birth certificate it in our mits. I think I may look into getting a second copy for both my kids, especially with moving back to the UK as once over there it may not be quite as easy to get another copy if we loose the original. We have to apply to the state capital in WA where all the "official government offices" are. Compared to most of the bureacratic stuff it's not too bad to get a replacement...but dont want to jinx myself here though;)

British Consul Mar 31st 2011 1:26 am

Answered in PM.

But the address is:

HOME OFFICE APPLICATIONS
Consular Section
British Embassy
3100 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington DC 20008

This will change over the coming months as some of our departments reorganise and processing of work is centralised in the UK. Keep checking our website www.UKinUSA.fco.gov.uk for updates.

Dean